Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 10:02 PM

35 posts, read 67,370 times

Advertisements

I live in Highland Creek in the north part of Charlotte, right beside where the new 485 interstate is going to be built. I'm not sure how close to Highland Creek it will be, but I'm guessing anywhere from 1 to 3 miles?

What will that do to our property values? Increase them, being close to the loop, or bring them down, since there will be a highway basically in the backyard?

I tried to find some opinions online but can't locate any good thoughts, so here I am, hoping someone will have some insight.

We were planning to move in 5 years or so, but are wondering if we should step that up...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 11:47 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
It really all depends on how close the freeway will come to your house. I would think that 1 to 3 miles is not close enough to cause major noise that would lower property values. My guess is that more development will follow the new road (with that comes higher property values usually).

Also, how far will you be from the nearest exit? Being close to an exit could lower or raise property values depending on the traffic caused by the exit. Again, my guess is that you will see an increase moreso than a decrease in property values. The development that typically follows freeways will most likely be the catalyst for your higher property values IMO.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:50 PM

518 posts, read 2,061,328 times
We came from Northern Virginia and the beltway (beltways) around DC. Being close to the loops, inside the loops increased property value. We currently live off of Prosp Ch, about 1 mile from DeArmon/Johnston-Oehler are located and where there will be an exit off of 485. We strongly believe this will increase property values. I would wait and sell once it's complete. This is as long as the highway isn't in your backyard (like on 485 towards Harrisburg) some of those homes would just be horrible to live in. Good luck with your decision.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:30 AM

69 posts, read 216,877 times
Thats good to know aquastone I also leave near DeArmon/Brown Rd. I wonder if they have a projected map of where exactly it is going to cut through? It will be cutting real close to my backyard im afraid though.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:36 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
If your concern figure your ditance of your home from propose highway then go to an existing neighborhood and go the same distance and park and stop and listen

Old 11-12-2009, 07:48 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,361,318 times
I agree with the PP up there ^^.

If you can't see the road from your house chances are you can't hear it either. Being just close enough to an exit will increase your property values b/c you have quick access to a major road, which a lot of people will want for commuting to work and other activities.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:00 AM

3 posts, read 11,380 times
I live in the Villages of Rosedale about a mile from I-77 behind Bilo and I barely hear the noise on the highway except during very early mornings like around 4 am or so I have heard faint rumblings otherwise none. I have lived here in quiet for about 5 years now. Am planning to move up into a Citizens home EXACTLY at the Browne/DeArmon intersection and I am thinking as well... does anyone have any idea about Citizens homes leave alone being close to the highway?

Old 11-10-2011, 11:03 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karandav View Post
I live in Highland Creek in the north part of Charlotte, right beside where the new 485 interstate is going to be built. I'm not sure how close to Highland Creek it will be, but I'm guessing anywhere from 1 to 3 miles?

What will that do to our property values? Increase them, being close to the loop, or bring them down, since there will be a highway basically in the backyard?

I tried to find some opinions online but can't locate any good thoughts, so here I am, hoping someone will have some insight.

We were planning to move in 5 years or so, but are wondering if we should step that up...

1 to 3 miles? I wouldnt worry about it. Half mile or less...yes.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:48 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,404 times
The maps are online. The freeway is not going to back up to highland creek.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:17 PM

116 posts, read 216,937 times
I lived about 2 miles from 485 when it was built around Harrisburg and Rocky River Roads. To my knowledge the property value in those neighborhoods went up, with the exception of maybe Cabarrus woods which was never the best neighborhood. With some of the development in the area, it seems to attract higher value homes being built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte