Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 04:19 PM

4 posts, read 30,868 times

Advertisements

Hi

I'm a single female (late 20's) relocating to Charlotte NC from Maryland. My work will be located at IBM drive. I want to keep the commute to minimum so I've been doing research online about the apartments around the area. The more I dig into things, the more posts I found on people discussing the crime problems in Charlotte especially around the University area. How bad is the area for a single female living alone?

I found this place called "Colonial Village at Chancellor Park" on University Ridge Drive but haven't seen much of review from this place. Does anyone know about this place? Is it a decent place to move to?
There is a much more expensive apartment called "Worthington" that my family seems to think it is "safer" because it is new. I'm wondering how safe would a place be when it is right next to a shopping center? I'm about to give up and just pick whatever when I found this site. Can ANYONE PLEASE help me? Thanks in advance for your help.

Jenny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 04:40 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
You can get specific crime statistics for your area by visiting http://maps.cmpdweb.org/.

Click on Quick Search and enter your address. The options should be easy to understand.

My wife and I live in University area and have noticed that some areas are definitely worse than others.

Good luck.

Old 05-13-2007, 05:34 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times
The answer to your original question is, yes. It is a safe area for a single female to live. I'm male, but I know several single females who live in the area. Now, with that said, there are some complexes you might not like, but that can be said about any section of town. Here are some ones I'd recommended to someone else on the forum a while back. Many of these are very near your work.

Bridges at Mallard Creek, 2305 New England St., Charlotte, NC 28269, (866) 653-6830

Autumn Park, 1801 Interface Ln., Charlotte, NC 28262, (877) 302-1607

Brookstone, 3800 Dry Brook Road, Charlotte, NC 28269, (866) 370-6172

Dominion Norcroft, 8215 Crescent Ridge Drive, Charlotte, NC 28269, (866) 861-6981

Windsor at the Vinoy, 8108 Vinoy Blvd., Charlotte, NC 28262, (866) 637-8783

Colonial Grand at Legacy Park, 8810 Legacy Park Dr., CHARLOTTE, NC 28269, (888) 575-9665

Old 05-13-2007, 09:05 PM

Thank you both for your input. I will check those out. It is proven to be more difficult and stressful to organize a move from another state. I will try to take some time off work for a house hunting trip if possible. If not, I just have to try my luck and pray I make the right choice. Thanks a lot again.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:59 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,051 times
Hi, Jenny--

I lived in the apts. you are looking at...10 years ago when I was a college sophomore . I still loved it back then, and frankly, the area is still ok now.

HOWEVER, check out this thread. I and others made some suggestions for apt. housing and townhome rentals on page two in that area. Good luck!
https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...ght=trader+joe

Old 05-14-2007, 08:17 PM

Kmway, thanks!
At least now I know someone DID live in that apartment at some point of time.

Old 05-26-2007, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 7,643 times
Default Worthington Apartments- Stay Away

Hi,
I have lived at worthington Apartments since early Feb 2007 and will be leaving next week. I am actually breaking my lease and paying a penalty in order to leave.
I am leaving for numerous reasons....
1) Cars in the parking area have been broken into repeatly
2) too many college students, there Beer bottles everywhere
3) it's loud at night difficult to sleep. The walls are extremely thin, you can hear everything.
3) while the apartment complex is new, the management is constantly requesting entry into our apartments to make repairs. They have gained access at least 5x's in the past 30 days.
4) The rental/leasing office is poorly staffed and extremely rude...
5) the property manager, Tina G is very rude and unresponsive to any and all complaints.

There are many different apartments in the area for the same price range, I would highly recommend that you avoid Worthington apartments.

Old 05-26-2007, 04:25 PM

928 posts, read 3,851,056 times
There are nice apartments tucked off the mallard creek drive area near Harris Teeter on Harris BLVD. The closer you are to Tryon the heavier the traffic. Especially since CMC Medical Center is at that intersection.

You can lease an apartment in a short time, so don't sweat that. Some one on here moved down sunday and secured a lease on Monday. Welcome to the South. Traffic in University is Henious, but they have nice shopping and access to interstate, concord mills, huntersville. Oh, yes, look at the apartments near North Lake Mall, that's a short commute from the area you will work in and I beleive alot of professionals live out this way.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:20 AM

Thanks to both Charlottemale31 and XNYgirl.
Charlottemale31 , I almost move into Worthington!! Now I know it is not as good as it seems. Thanks for the advice.
XNYgirl, I will definitely check out the areas you mentioned. Thanks.

It has been a bit of nightmare trying to arrange relocation from another state. But step by step, I will get everything sorted. Thanks you all.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:14 AM

473 posts, read 1,578,272 times
Red face Huntersville

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
There are nice apartments tucked off the mallard creek drive area near Harris Teeter on Harris BLVD. The closer you are to Tryon the heavier the traffic. Especially since CMC Medical Center is at that intersection.

You can lease an apartment in a short time, so don't sweat that. Some one on here moved down sunday and secured a lease on Monday. Welcome to the South. Traffic in University is Henious, but they have nice shopping and access to interstate, concord mills, huntersville. Oh, yes, look at the apartments near North Lake Mall, that's a short commute from the area you will work in and I beleive alot of professionals live out this way.
I'd recommend Huntersville. The N. Lake area bothers me and I will not go to the mall or restaurants after dark. I had an issue at Friday's there where I didn't feel welcome. Nothing serious happened but it was just very uncomfortable being watched. I sensed something so I got out my cell phone and pretended to be on the phone when I left the restaurant. I felt followed out of the restaurant until I pulled my cell phone up to my ear and the guys did a u-turn. Since then, I will not go into the area after dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte