Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 07:05 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,464,840 times

Advertisements

You know what I'm talkin' about! From the classic move "The Great Outdoors" with John Candy and Dan Aykroyd. The scene where they're at the steak house and Chet (John Candy) orders the "Old 96'er" steak. A 96 ounce steak that if he eats it, the whole party eats for free! I was stuck in a boring hotel all week in Raleigh at a hotel with only basic cable and happened to catch this movie gem on AMC the other night, so now I'm in the mood!

Click Here

I doubt I could tackle a 96'er (especially the gristle too!), but I'd bet I could put a hurtin' on a 60 oz +/- a few! There was a steak house chain in Orlando a while back called Sam Setzler's that reportedly offered a similar challenge. I believe it entailed a full course to accompany the ridiculous steak (salad, baked potato, side vegetable, roll).

Anyone know of a place in the Charlotte area that offers a similar challenge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 09:43 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,800,089 times
No, but I'll give you a ride in "Suck My Wake"!

Old 11-14-2009, 03:41 AM

628 posts, read 2,078,348 times
Didn't Homer Simpson go to one of those steakhouse too? The one he went to; you got to pick your own cow and they killed it right there. I believe Homer challenged a truck driver to an eating contest and the driver died. Homer became a truck driver.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:03 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
If you're after doing it at home, I think The Peach Stand could cut you a big ol' steak without too much trouble.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:19 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,551,038 times
Eds Tavern on Park Road has a monster burger challenge. It's two pounds of beef, ten slices of cheese, ten slices of bacon, two pounds of fries and a soda. It's 25 dollars and if you finish it in 60 minutes you get your pic on their wall of fame. Idk if it's free tho.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:43 AM

I'd rather not buy the massive slab of meat myself. I'm looking for more of a challenge type atmosphere...you know, where they bring it out and everyone stops talking! Plus, the possibility of getting it for free!

Old 11-14-2009, 11:49 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,551,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
I'd rather not buy the massive slab of meat myself. I'm looking for more of a challenge type atmosphere...you know, where they bring it out and everyone stops talking! Plus, the possibility of getting it for free!
Does it have to be meat? I know Big View Dinner has some massive dessert that if you finish it it's free.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:00 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times
Man, 96 seems like a stout challenge alright. I inadvertantly ate a 36oz prime rib in Wichita a couple years back and I knew I could go for more. I think I can do 72 easily enough, but 96??? Whoohee that would be a stretch.

BTW, the "inadvertantly" part meant that yes I did order the 36oz (along with a co-worker on a business trip), but I didn't plan on eating it all. But, we had a very engaging business discussion during dinner and next thing I knew, the whole prime rib was gone!

Old 11-14-2009, 02:11 PM

Yes, I'm looking for steak. There's a pizza place right near me (Paventti's maybe?) that offers $350 to anyone who can finish their 36" pepperoni pizza. I think you may get one partner and one hour to do it in. No way man. All that dough and pepperoni! Now a steak...that's more like it!

Old 11-14-2009, 09:45 PM

175 posts, read 412,793 times
The closest thing I know of is down at Myrtle Beach....saw it while visiting last weekend. Here is a story from the Sun News...

Cows somewhere are running fast at the mention of Thorny's.

The Myrtle Beach restaurant, at 600 S. Kings Highway, is testing the bellies of gluttons and thrill-seekers alike. If you can eat an 80-ounce sirloin, a house salad, a yeast roll and an Idaho baked potato in an hour or less, you will get the meal for free. Actually, you have to pay for the food up front first, which will be $69.99 plus tax and gratuity. You, and only you, can eat the meal. If you succeed in the challenge, Thorny's will reimburse the entire cost of the meal, minus gratuity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte