Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 08:00 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,834,188 times

Advertisements

Superk,

where in Huntersville do you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 08:04 AM

163 posts, read 586,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHBR702 View Post
If you have made the move to Charlotte, particularly those of you who have moved from NJ, NY, Philly, DC, please post your thoughts on the differences you've encountered and those things that it is taking or has taken some time to get used to. How has your lifestyle changed as a result of your move? What are the aspects of living in NC vs. where you moved from that are better, worse, different? What things do you like about NC that NJ, NY, etc. did not offer? What things do you miss about NJ, NY, etc. that NC doesn't offer? And lastly, what is your overall feeling about the move you made?
I moved from NJ (grew up in Bergen county) about 6 months ago. Honestly, there is nothing down here that was hard for me to adjust to. (edited to add...That is not completely true!! The doc's out here typically keep day hours only (no night/weekends) That said, at my dh company, it is normal to leave for a doc's appt during the day...In NJ, they would look at you like you had 10 heads if you did not make a night/weekend appt)

How has my lifestyle changed? I only need to work if I want to, in NJ I had to... (my dh works) We are able to afford a house that we would never have been able to afford in NJ...We def have the money to go out and do more as well. And speaking of being out, we are just plain *out doors* more due to the warmer climate...it is great!!

The rest of my family lives in NJ (same with dh's) When we would call to speak to them, it was always snowing, sleeting..or just plain cold. While here, the cherry blossoms were out, and it was a beautiful day in the 60's (Feb)

I also love all the outdoor malls down here. They are designed to look like villages in a way....there is usually always a band playing in one of the outdoor squares....I just love the abundance of shops and restaurants all over. Oh, by the way, I live in south Charlotte, Ballantyne ....

What do I miss about NJ?? nothing NC Charlotte has it all!! (well, unless you liked NYC...That said, I did not) I would never consider moving back, if it were up to me. I do wish family would visit a bit more (bros/sis) ...But they have their lives...I never saw them much in NJ, unless they happened to be around for one of the holidays...So, not such a big change not having them around I suppose.

I feel very good about the decision we made to move down here. I have no thoughts of ever wanting to move back.

hth

Old 05-15-2007, 11:38 AM

2 posts, read 3,662 times
Want to say thanks for this input. We, too are considering a move to Charlotte. My husband is orginally from Charlotte but hasn't been there in many years. We live in MA now and I have been wondering what the transition would be like. We do visit every summer for 10 days, as my in-laws have a place on Lake Wylie and we love it. (I have noticed that groceries are really expensive there -- what's up with that???) Would love to hear from anyone from MA/Southern NH about their relo to Charlotte -- the good, the bad, and the ugly!!

Old 05-15-2007, 12:08 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,655,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
Superk,

where in Huntersville do you live?
Glenwyck (off of Bud Henderson Rd.).

Old 05-15-2007, 12:27 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,376,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I moved from NJ (grew up in Bergen county) about 6 months ago. Honestly, there is nothing down here that was hard for me to adjust to. (edited to add...That is not completely true!! The doc's out here typically keep day hours only (no night/weekends) That said, at my dh company, it is normal to leave for a doc's appt during the day...In NJ, they would look at you like you had 10 heads if you did not make a night/weekend appt)

How has my lifestyle changed? I only need to work if I want to, in NJ I had to... (my dh works) We are able to afford a house that we would never have been able to afford in NJ...We def have the money to go out and do more as well. And speaking of being out, we are just plain *out doors* more due to the warmer climate...it is great!!

The rest of my family lives in NJ (same with dh's) When we would call to speak to them, it was always snowing, sleeting..or just plain cold. While here, the cherry blossoms were out, and it was a beautiful day in the 60's (Feb)

I also love all the outdoor malls down here. They are designed to look like villages in a way....there is usually always a band playing in one of the outdoor squares....I just love the abundance of shops and restaurants all over. Oh, by the way, I live in south Charlotte, Ballantyne ....

What do I miss about NJ?? nothing NC Charlotte has it all!! (well, unless you liked NYC...That said, I did not) I would never consider moving back, if it were up to me. I do wish family would visit a bit more (bros/sis) ...But they have their lives...I never saw them much in NJ, unless they happened to be around for one of the holidays...So, not such a big change not having them around I suppose.

I feel very good about the decision we made to move down here. I have no thoughts of ever wanting to move back.

hth

hey Mis loved your post. gave u positive rep for that one

Old 05-15-2007, 01:43 PM

348 posts, read 1,360,564 times
Default What do I miss...

We have been in Charlotte for about 8 months...These are my thoughts...

What I love...
~The weather (do not miss shoveling snow AT ALL)
~Friendly neighbors
~Being able to afford a nice home
~Harris Teeter & Lowe's Foods(do not have them where I'm from)
~Relaxed lifestyle
~Lower taxes

What I do NOT love...
~Traffic
~Non-courteus drivers
~Lack of decent pizza
~Grocery prices are high
~That my friends at home are so far away

All in all, I know we made the right move. We are doing much better financially then we were in NY.

Other then missing friends and family...I'm happy.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:05 PM

162 posts, read 401,023 times
I moved from NJ with my wife over 8 years ago.
Our pros:
affordable housing
weather
lower property tax
lower car insurance
friendly people
a "newness" and "niceness" look- we were up in Feb for a visit and it was freezing cold and gray. We came back and it almost looked like spring had already started.
surprisingly a competitive salary compared to friends up north, maybe related to the growing city
no tolls

Cons:
horrible, horrible traffic- especially my commute on 485
distance from family and friends
we miss "Jersey" food, pizza and bread just don't taste the same
school system
lack of public transportation- I can get from my parents house to Yankee Stadium in about 30 minutes and not have to use a drop of gas in my car.
no major league baseball
grocery stores are more expensive
the stupid car property tax I have to pay every year

Old 05-15-2007, 02:08 PM

523 posts, read 2,905,378 times
I keep hearing about how the grocery stores are so expensive in Charlotte. I don't feel like groceries are particularly cheap here (Connecticut) so am I going to have sticker shock in Charlotte? Can someone give examples of the expensive prices? Also, is there a reason that groceries would be expensive in Charlotte?

Old 05-15-2007, 02:29 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,202 times
I actually have had groceries go way down after moving to Charlotte from LA, BUT, only because I now take the time to shop and not just head to Harris Teeter and fill my cart up with whatever like I used to do.

I use "A Discout Grocery" for scratch and dent items and overstocks. They are almost 20 miles away, but I go about once a month and stock up. They are near Uptown and SO NICE and helpful. Last week I got milk at 75 cents per gallon!!!! I got 8 gallons and froze some.

I also use AngelFoodMinistries.com and supplement my groceries that way. It is once a month and you can order as much as you want, you just need to pay 2 weeks in advance and go pick up your food. It is not needs based, so anyone can participate. Click on "menu" to find out what is in this month's box and click on "host sites" to find locations. I use the Ft. Mill location at Higher Ground Church off of the 521.

Then I use the Farmer's Market for fresh produce in the summer.

Costco is also a place for us to go, esp. in the winter for produce.

We spend about $250-$300 per month to feed 5 people. We used to spend $800 easily!

Dawn

Old 05-15-2007, 03:54 PM

38 posts, read 152,386 times
Car tax??? Someone please explain! I drive a Lexus...would I be in trouble??? Knew I should have kept my 4x4.....lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte