U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 09:03 PM

22,974 posts, read 62,133,989 times

Advertisements

The following is a copy from one of my city-data blog entries
Southerners Are Just Friendly
here is a copy of the text .
This is just my perspective and opinion

One of the great things that remains in the south is it's friendliness.

Maybe because it boy's attending the scouts when they are young or girls doing the same . Or it's their ability to attend cotillion. Either way they grow to respect one another and do for the common man.

Why spend your life not knowing who your neighbor is not helping your neighbor in a time of need when it could be paid back in the future.
I do nice things because it makes me feel good giving a little charm and helpfulness to others.

If you pass me on the road Ill wave to you as long as it not a busy highway or curve and both hands are needed at that time.
Sometimes Ill even play a game with it Only SUV'S only minivans, or white trucks but I always wave to motorcycles because they generally wave back.
I think waving opens the walls that many of us naturally put guard around ourselves.
It a form to open dialouge and it a form of good cheer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 11:57 PM

10,082 posts, read 10,230,178 times
I have fond memories of waving ... I was raised in Rock Hill in town ... we had a porch across the front of our home and down one side ... rocking chairs and a porch swing. Nothing, I mean absolutely nothing was open on Sunday ... you better get whatever you needed on Saturday.

Sunday morning was church and then a big Sunday dinner and out to the front porch ... sometimes to make a churn of homemade ice cream (wooden churn with a hand crank) ... people walking or riding by and you waved ... everybody waved ... some of those walking would stop and chat. It was a slow and peaceful time and people took the time to wave, speak and even stop to pass the time of day.

If you have ever passed me on my motorcycle, I always wave!

Old 11-17-2009, 01:49 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,121,157 times
I try to speak to those with whom direct eye contact is made.
Hold the door for anyone , but sometimes it's hard being cordial to some who'd spit in your face as opposed to saying one or two words of greeting. CIP , I was in Clover Friday afternoon. Stopped at this store on the way back and walked inside to the counter. The man attending looked at me with a look of absolute evil. I spoke and told him what I was looking for. The whole time the stare persisted. I looked him dead in the eye the whole time. He didn't respond to my inquiry. Another man came and assisted me. Not everyone is like this , but there exists some rather negative minded souls out there. In town , I know what to expect , but in places like this , there's a preconception of an overall hunky dory atmosphere that really is fleeting. But for the additional 95% of the time , everyone's decent.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:33 AM

22,974 posts, read 62,133,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I have fond memories of waving ... I was raised in Rock Hill in town ... we had a porch across the front of our home and down one side ... rocking chairs and a porch swing. Nothing, I mean absolutely nothing was open on Sunday ... you better get whatever you needed on Saturday.

Sunday morning was church and then a big Sunday dinner and out to the front porch ... sometimes to make a churn of homemade ice cream (wooden churn with a hand crank) ... people walking or riding by and you waved ... everybody waved ... some of those walking would stop and chat. It was a slow and peaceful time and people took the time to wave, speak and even stop to pass the time of day.

If you have ever passed me on my motorcycle, I always wave!
Cool story
I love it when motorcyles wave they are like me enjoying the North Carolia air

Quote:
Originally Posted by etacarinae View Post
I try to speak to those with whom direct eye contact is made.
Hold the door for anyone , but sometimes it's hard being cordial to some who'd spit in your face as opposed to saying one or two words of greeting. CIP , I was in Clover Friday afternoon. Stopped at this store on the way back and walked inside to the counter. The man attending looked at me with a look of absolute evil. I spoke and told him what I was looking for. The whole time the stare persisted. I looked him dead in the eye the whole time. He didn't respond to my inquiry. Another man came and assisted me. Not everyone is like this , but there exists some rather negative minded souls out there. In town , I know what to expect , but in places like this , there's a preconception of an overall hunky dory atmosphere that really is fleeting. But for the additional 95% of the time , everyone's decent.
True everyone is decent but sometimes to busy for a nice gesture

Old 11-17-2009, 09:56 AM

35,883 posts, read 71,980,239 times
I think the best thing for one's soul is to learn to develop a kind and gracious countenance. I sit around the house and smile to myself. I work at being pleasant even if I am momentarily irritated. Sure, it doesn't always work! There are times I would love to go kick another driver's tires to let him/her know how rude their driving habits are. However, I have found that brushing it off and telling myself that no one is gonna rain on my parade ends up making my heart beat at a slower rate - and keeps me from frowning.

It only takes a moment to be pleasant to other people in stores, on sidewalks, in restaurants. I guess as a child, I liked the warm fuzzies I got back from others by smiling and being friendly. I have been told it is not very "cool" or sophisticated to walk around w/ a semi-smile on my face. You know what? I don't care. I would rather be thought of as pleasant than cool, anyway, lol.

One of the reasons I like living in the South is b/c it is not odd to interact with strangers while standing in a line. I like feeling the magnetic field around me is charged with happy particles! If we all send out good vibes, there would be at least a little less misery–even if only on a superficial level. Treating folks with kindness and respect can relieve a lot of stress for everyone we interact with during the day - and that is a good thing.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:58 AM

61,294 posts, read 82,134,013 times
spent a whole lota time in the south-- good chunk of my life, they are not friendly, they are polite. often poor urban area visitors will confuse friendly with polite.
polite is what you do regardless of the behavior of others. its utterly insincere.
its an obligation to your parents and community, its not how you feel.
its a french thing.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 11-17-2009 at 10:17 AM..

Old 11-17-2009, 10:33 AM

41 posts, read 100,426 times
Huck, good way to put what I've been trying to figure out during my three years spent in NC. Not that I have to be concerned with the south anymore- I just like to pop on here to see how many people are still thinking NC is Utopia. Have a nice day

Old 11-17-2009, 10:53 AM

339 posts, read 668,392 times
I'm not sure if friendliness is really related to the South. Two of the most friendly places I've ever visited were San Francisco and Colorado Springs. Of course because I grew up in the South and now live here, I'd like to say we corner the market on friendliness, but I don't know if it is really true.

It is true that I have great neighbors where I live now. But I've lived in a different part of town before where people weren't as friendly or neighborly. I think people are generally as friendly or neighborly as you are or want to be yourself. Of course there are some exceptions, but rare ones in my opinion.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:14 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,231,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megan722 View Post
I'm not sure if friendliness is really related to the South. Two of the most friendly places I've ever visited were San Francisco and Colorado Springs. Of course because I grew up in the South and now live here, I'd like to say we corner the market on friendliness, but I don't know if it is really true.

It is true that I have great neighbors where I live now. But I've lived in a different part of town before where people weren't as friendly or neighborly. I think people are generally as friendly or neighborly as you are or want to be yourself. Of course there are some exceptions, but rare ones in my opinion.
I have to agree that San Francisco is very friendly. I remember when I was there three years ago and my rental car wasn't ready down town. I was thinking N.Y. and got very assertive. People looked at me like I was nuts. There is a definate "laid back" attitude in San Francisco that is super cool. Just about every place I have visited has been filled with nice people. I believe that my being nice and smiling has something to do with it. I even find NYC to be friendly. I agree that the south does not hold the monopoly on friendliness, but one is more likely to get a "good morning" or "hello" and a friendly smile from the general population in the south than in most other parts of the country. I have lived so many places that I have lost my old habit greeting indiscriminately. But, I always respond in a friendly manner.

On my trips to visit relatives in Boston, I have seen nothing but friendliness. I have never ran into anyone that gave a hint of hostility towards my southern accent.

I agree that it is generally very friendly in the south, but so are other places. I believe all depends on the person and his attitude.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:30 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,231,232 times
[quote=Huckleberry3911948;11660771]spent a whole lota time in the south-- good chunk of my life, they are not friendly, they are polite.

I thought that friendliness was part of being polite? Regardless, it is a good attribute for anyone.

often poor urban area visitors will confuse friendly with polite.

When you say "poor urban area visitors" what are you talking about?

polite is what you do regardless of the behavior of others.

I thought that being polite in awkward situations was being cool, intellectual, and classy.

its utterly insincere.

To bad you have negative feelings toward politeness. It makes life much more pleasant.

its an obligation to your parents and community, its not how you feel.

I thought I was a display of good upbringing and respect for others.

its a french thing.

A French thing? Give me a break! I believe your generalizations and obvious prejudices discredit your views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: