U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2009, 08:17 AM

38 posts, read 142,626 times

Advertisements

We are approaching one year in our new construction home and are thinking about hiring an inspector. We had a pre-drywall and a closing inspection done when we purchased the home by the same inspector and he did a fine job. I'm wondering should we hire the same guy again, or choose a different inspector for a different set of eyes. Any recs? Or opinions that it is overkill to get another inspection?
Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 08:39 AM

2,669 posts, read 6,699,009 times
Personally I'd save my money and skip it, unless I had specific cause for concern. Of course, I'm rather handy around the house, so I feel comfortable that I could spot any major issues myself. Assuming the house was built well in the first place (and this seems to be supported by your earlier inspections), I think the most common problem would be water issues such as poor drainage around the house or leaks. In most cases, I think you'd see symptoms of this yourself by looking under the house or seeing water damage in the ceiling or walls. The likelihood of the electrical, HVAC, or construction/foundation "going bad" the first year is very low, if all was okay to begin with.

But if you would feel more comfortable having an inspection, then by all means do so.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:11 AM

873 posts, read 1,683,717 times
Get annual termite inspections.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:21 AM

4,010 posts, read 9,538,159 times
If you are going to do an inspection, then get someone different so that you have a different set of eyes looking at the house.

If it was me, and I was comfortable with the house (no cracking, systems working OK, etc) then if I were to pay for an inspector, I would get someone who can do a good roof inspection. And I mean a party that will go up on the roof and look for missing flashing, shingles that were installed with a nail gun set too high, signs of rotting wood, etc. Get them to go into the attic and check the roof decking for any sort of leaks. Many roofers will nail headers to stand on and these cause leaks and rotting later. Roof problems are often over looked in inspections and usually the biggest source of problems to show up years later in an otherwise well built house.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:49 PM

That's a great point about the roof, our inspector just did a "visual" inspection and I can see where it would be worth money to have someone take a closer look. Thanks!

Old 11-25-2009, 12:03 PM

Does anyone have an inspector that they would recommend or know of one that will inspect the roof? I haven't had any luck finding one who does more than a binocular inspection. You can DM me if you want. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte