Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 06:04 PM

403 posts, read 872,721 times

Advertisements

Can anyone first tell me where the Magistrates office is, and what I will need to take with me regarding a large check that proved to be worthless, after depositing it? I was told that the Magistrates office was the place to go, after all efforts to collect had been made.

We didn't realize when we took the check, it that it would be worthless........the customer conventiently came after 2:PM, when it was very busy...we just stupidly took it....I know we are too trusting. The purchase was for a large amount of speciality glass....that he said that he needed quickly to get a job done. He is out of Kannapolis, and as we found out has a prior for giving out worthless checks. As far as we are concerned the job that he did has now been completed with stolen goods. How would you feel if your kitchen/whatever frames were done with stolen goods?

We have called him numerous times...from our business telephone, and of course he wouldn't call back. We tried several different telephones/mobiles, and he answered...I guess thinking it was some new business. He always said he was sorry, and that he would be in at a certain time. My son called him Friday morning and told him that we were gong down to the Magistrates office....he asked for my husbands telephone number...called him immediately (could it be that he has something to hide?), and told DH that he would meet him anywhere, and would bring cash to him on Saturday morning. Well, guess what...no calls....no nothing.

Yes, we called his bank probably ten times over the last two weeks, and there wasn't enough money in there to be able to cash the check.....I guess just enough to keep it open....to write more worthless checks to other unspecting people.....while he makes off with the stolen goods!!

If you have had any experience with any of the above, we sure would appreciate whatever advice anyone can give. Please, we know it was our fault....and we realize that there are just a few that make it bad for others. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 07:20 PM

578 posts, read 2,589,641 times
Don't have any advice, but good luck collecting. I have heard that NC worthless check laws are pretty tough for offenders, so hopefully that's true! Ask Ani about the sheriff being sent after them...I seem to recall that.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:08 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,502,149 times
Charlotte City Magistrate
801 E 4th St, Charlotte, NC
(704) 686-0050‎

Don't know what you have to do to collect on it, though. They might try to get you to participate in the Worthless Check Program.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:20 PM

Thanks bs13690.....if you know anything about the Worthless Check Program...would you let me know. I appreciate the address and telephone number. Thanks again!!

Old 11-21-2009, 09:36 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,636,488 times
Default Serious offense. Maybe this will help.

North Carolina Check Laws (http://www.lawdog.com/states/nc/checks.htm - broken link)

Old 11-21-2009, 09:39 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,502,149 times
Worthless Check Program

I had to participate in one of these from the offender side many years ago in CA. Basically had to pay back the check, plus costs and take a check writing class.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:47 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,636,488 times
^^^^43 counties but it looks like Mech not included (?)

Old 11-21-2009, 10:34 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,772,033 times
Sorry this happened to you. Isn't there a program that you can participate in as a merchant to run checks prior to accepting them to make sure they're good? I seem to recall seeing something like that at the grocery store.

Last edited by Jake Ryan; 11-21-2009 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-22-2009, 12:37 PM

Jake R.....I believe you are absolutely right about that....I will start doing some digging and see what I can find. I believe at the time when I did know something about it...it wasn't very cost effective for us. I could be wrong about that. Just want to try to see if we can get our money back from this Buzzard (I am trying to be kind...I know..my downfall!)....having a "prior", which he may not realize that we know....might induce him back this week. We have been put off soooo many times...its become a real joke. Kannapolis has a real winner living among them.

Pink Caddy.....Thanks for information...I am printing it out right now to give to my DH...we don't want to do anything wrong that will complicate the matter even more.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:29 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,163,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
^^^^43 counties but it looks like Mech not included (?)
I believe in Mecklenburg, you go to the Sheriff's office for this sort of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte