Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 08:42 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,786,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
THank you, SSD, but funny thing . . . I always admire that you use less words and get your message across just as well, Hee Hee.

I think we all agree - we pay for the quality of the daycare center. I paid the highest rate in the whole region for my son. I only used it several days a month and the $$$ was never the concern - or the fairness that I had to pay for a whole week even tho he only came for 2 days MAXIMUM per week, 4 hours a day. So I paid for a whole week, every week, even tho he was staying only the equivalent of ONE DAY a week. My concern was his health and well-being. So paying a premium price was just part of the deal for me. The thought of suing someone b/c I was paying as much as others receiving 40 or more hours of service a week as opposed to my 8 hours never crossed my mind! I was just so happy to have a clean, safe, progressive daycare with caring providers.
It was all worth it. Look how brilliant and well ajusted our sons are now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 08:56 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,549,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
It was all worth it. Look how brilliant and well ajusted our sons are now
I'd like to think we are experienced moms who give sterling advice cause I think we managed to raise 'em to the stage that they are darn fine young men, by anyone's standards!

Guess that is my way of saying to younger moms: keep your eyes on the ball, not on peripheral issues. If your child is being well cared-for, just thank your lucky stars that you found a good provider and don't fret over that extra couple hundred bucks it is costing you in a year. I always thought of it as: Is my son worth that extra money? No question about the answer!!!

Old 11-23-2009, 09:30 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,658,058 times
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to anifani821 again."

Well said, Ani.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:32 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,786,190 times
OK, I just got a call from my sons preschool teacher. He was out of school most of last week and today with a cold and pink eye. The teacher called to talk to him and tell him she loves him and hopes he feels better and all of the kids in his class yelled into the phone "WE MISS YOU!!!! ". He was so excited and happy. Now that is worth every penny.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:35 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,363,695 times
This is just how they function unfortunately. It stinks to pay for days you are not there but honestly you have little hope of a lawsuit unless you find it in writing that you pay only when you use the center, which is of course not advantageous to any daycare center.

On the flip side "some" centers will give you a vacation week once you've been with them a year. So you get a bit of a break.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:03 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,549,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
OK, I just got a call from my sons preschool teacher. He was out of school most of last week and today with a cold and pink eye. The teacher called to talk to him and tell him she loves him and hopes he feels better and all of the kids in his class yelled into the phone "WE MISS YOU!!!! ". He was so excited and happy. Now that is worth every penny.
Awwwww! Yes, that is worth every penny. And how it must have felt to your son to know his presence matters - and to you, to know the level of concern and to have that personal touch from the person who is with your precious son every day.

Sounds like a Thanksgiving story - how thankful we are for good schools, pre-schools and daycare providers (and those teachers and caretakers who make it a nurturing environment for our children).

Old 11-23-2009, 04:28 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,709,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSM23 View Post
...I am thinking about speaking with an attorney to start a class action law suit or filing a complaint with the state of NC.
It is a sad commentary on our society that filing a lawsuit is the first, knee-jerk reaction some people have when they find out that something is not the way that they think it should be.

You taked to the "girl at the front." Did you speak to the person / people who run the daycare? Did you think to maybe write a letter or send an e-mail to the center voicing your concerns and ask to speak with them about this issue? Nope - thought about the lawyer route right away. Sad.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:46 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,717,710 times
I agree that does not seem right.

If I owned a day care, I would figure out in advance how many holidays I would be closed and charge people a little extra for the days that we were open. This way you make out the same in the long run and your clients remain happy. : )

Old 11-24-2009, 01:54 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,715,849 times
Too complicated b/c once you set that in place you will need to adjust for snow days, rain days, too foggy to drive days, we follow this holiday and not that holiday days, kid is sick not coming in days and on and on.

At some point one must pay all fixed costs and make a profit. If parents don't agree with school policy, well, they will need to find another school that they are happier with.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:11 PM

396 posts, read 973,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
I agree that does not seem right.

If I owned a day care, I would figure out in advance how many holidays I would be closed and charge people a little extra for the days that we were open. This way you make out the same in the long run and your clients remain happy. : )
And those same parents would be complaining about the cost of the care. It's a no win situation for child care providers.

A majority of employers give paid holidays to their employees. So most of the people that are complaining about paying for a day their child care is closed are also getting paid for days they don't work. Why is one fair and the other not? I am a child care provider. I am closed Thursday and Friday. Both are paid days. I, in turn, pay my employees for those days as well.

Basically it comes down to whenever you signed a contract with your child care provider, you knew what you were signing. If you didn't read it then that is no one else's fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: