U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 06:23 PM

211 posts, read 467,197 times

Advertisements

Since we've moved we have realized we have some stuff we'd like to shred but our shredder decided today to die due to amount of important information that was being shredded.

I know in some communities they have community shred day and they did have one this year but we missed or didnt know about the deadline

any suggestions? I would burn this stuff if I could but being environmentalist and as well living in an apartment complex, i think I'll get in trouble.

Maybe I should go down the street to fire department to burn this safely?

anywho any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 06:56 PM

8,375 posts, read 12,491,087 times
It's probably easier jsut to find a good quality shredder at an office supply store or dept store, but occasionally there are community shredding events.

Here's the link to one such company that has done events in Charlotte before. You may want to call the 800 number on that website to see if anything is coming up.

Community paper shredding events by Shred-it - Shred-it

Old 11-28-2009, 07:38 PM

403 posts, read 813,318 times
MS.....You may want to contact the BBB concerning a shredding day. They had one not long ago....and it could be that they might be planning another one in a month or two. Perhaps, they may know of others who may be planning a day for shredding much sooner. Good Luck

Old 11-28-2009, 07:52 PM

35,883 posts, read 71,613,543 times
I haven't seen another shredding day announced (as Sylbeth said - there was one about a month ago, I believe) . . . but if anyone finds out about a date/time, PLEASE POST. I bet there are others like me who would like to take advantage of a shredding day.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:35 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,422,935 times
Why would anyone here need to shred documents . The police has just discovered a MAJOR fake ID, fake DLs FakeSS numbers,all of professional quality using stolen american Ids right here in charlotte, This ring is being operated by illegal aliens. And we know they dont want to do nuthin but work hard.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:38 PM

33 posts, read 242,921 times
Would you be able to burn them? If you have a fireplace, its no brain-er ...being it's winter and all ... I just feel safer that I burn all my documents myself.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:27 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,884,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joy78 View Post
Would you be able to burn them? If you have a fireplace, its no brain-er ...being it's winter and all ... I just feel safer that I burn all my documents myself.
Burning them is not a good idea because not everything burns. There might be fragments of paper that survive the fire, go up into the chimney and fly into the air. You have no idea who might find this bit and you also have no idea what might be on that paper.

Better to buy a shredder (I am paranoid enough to shred everything myself and not trust companies) and know that the papers are in shreds small enough that nobody could put them together.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:24 AM

35,883 posts, read 71,613,543 times
I have huge boxes of stuff that needs to be shredded - client info. It would take me literally weeks, 40 hours a week, to do this by hand using my office shredder, lol. Iron Mountain is the company that handles big shredding jobs. You can take your boxes to a community shredding day and get it all over in a tiny fraction of the time it would take to do it w/ even a substantial shredder.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:47 AM

211 posts, read 467,197 times
I live in an apartment complex so no fire here... (i wish!) i was thinking about going to a friends place and use their bon fire but, I am not sure if that is good way to go.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:53 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,095,657 times
I have at least several boxes I need to shred too. And I tried to shred on my own a small pile, which took me about an hour. No way will I finish at a reasonable amount of time.

I will be watching this thread carefully myself for any community events. I think I missed one recently, but had not gotten around to sorting all my junk when it took place .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte