Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 08:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,140 times

Advertisements

yesterday I was leaving the panthers game and got a ticket for reckless driving. I exited 277 onto the exit for tryon, 12th street there was no traffic coming so i cut across the three lanes of traffic so i could get in the right turn lane. I went through the lane as the light turned red and got pulled for reckless driving. Just wondering if anyone could recommended a lawyer and maybe give me an idea on what i should ecpect as far as penalties and lawyer costs. I have not had a traffic ticket in over 15 years.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 09:46 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
The points are pretty high for running a stop light or stop sign. So you are doing the right thing to get an attorney.

It usually costs under $400 to take care of the attorney for most traffic violation cases. It will depend on whether or not the attorney can get the charge pled down to something less egregious as to other costs. I have known folks who got speeding tickets worked out and the whole thing - penalties and attorney fees were under $325.

You will doubtless get letters from attorneys about this. That sounds sleazy to some folks but not to me. The people who are used to working w/ the court system and LE are the best ones to choose as they know how things work, know the folks involved.

I have heard this firm is good to work with:

Charlotte Traffic Violation Attorney | North Carolina Ticket Court Suspended License Points Lawyer | Mecklenburg County

Old 12-07-2009, 12:40 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,465,351 times
I fail to see why a lawyer needs to be involved with this one. Admission of guilt to 4 moving violations.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:44 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,139,204 times
Reckless driving is a serious violation. It depends on what the cop says as far as getting off easy. If you were speeding also in an apparent attempt to beat the red light and traffic conditions were such as to create a hazard it wont look good for you in court. Lawyer or no lawyer you need to be nice and act like you know you messed up and maybe the judge will reduce it. Lawyers are good at getting cases delayed but not too good at disputing what cops say. I hope you were very nice to the cop because he will be asked by the judge. A lawyer wont hurt but one may not help much either.Your good driving record will help a great deal.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:09 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times
IMHO, Even if you spend several hundred $ on a lawyer, if he wins the case for you, you'll save that plus more in the penalties avoided (insurance surcharges over the next three years).

Old 12-07-2009, 03:27 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,212,299 times
Reckless driving isn't just a traffic citation, it's a criminal charge. Best for him to do what he can to keep being convicted of it.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:45 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,800,621 times
I seem to think you will have many solicitations for representation in your mailbox within a few days.

Good ambulance chasers look over the reports daily and respond accordingly! Good luck with your case.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:52 PM

231 posts, read 576,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpneuman View Post
yesterday I was leaving the panthers game and got a ticket for reckless driving. I exited 277 onto the exit for tryon, 12th street there was no traffic coming so i cut across the three lanes of traffic so i could get in the right turn lane. I went through the lane as the light turned red and got pulled for reckless driving. Just wondering if anyone could recommended a lawyer and maybe give me an idea on what i should ecpect as far as penalties and lawyer costs. I have not had a traffic ticket in over 15 years.

thanks

So what exactly was the reckless driving...just turning right on red without stopping first? I mean if there's no traffic coming and you have to get over to a lane three lanes over, what are you supposed to do? Or are you just not allowed to do that?

Old 12-08-2009, 06:48 AM

68 posts, read 163,549 times
take it up stairs to the D.A. and talk to them, I'm telling you I had Three tickets for not having my kids in the car seat and a expired tag and he dropped all of them. Not to brag because I learned from my actions. I would had to pay over $600.00 I went their before my court date and ask what can I do about this. go inside the court house to the second floor and ask someone for the DA office

Old 12-08-2009, 09:07 AM

529 posts, read 1,203,654 times
Lightbulb There's nothing wrong with missing a turn, or an exit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dep8477 View Post
So what exactly was the reckless driving...just turning right on red without stopping first? I mean if there's no traffic coming and you have to get over to a lane three lanes over, what are you supposed to do? Or are you just not allowed to do that?
My philosophy:
It's OK to miss a turn. Nobody is keeping 'score.' Just keep going and turn around later on. Adding a couple of minutes to your drive is better than getting a ticket or worse, causing an accident.

My pet peeves include
1) People who cut across a few lanes to make a turn or an exit ramp.
2) People who slam on the brakes to make a last second turn.

(Not talking about the O.P. because he said there was no traffic in his situation. Except for the cop . . . )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte