U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 08:57 AM

2,193 posts, read 4,825,739 times

Advertisements

I was on Providence Rd going South before Rea Rd. A school bus was heading North on Providence Rd. There's a divider on the road (a large chunk of grass dividing the road). Am I obligated to stop if I'm on the other side?

The people ahead of me were too far ahead of me and passed the bus before he put his stop sign out. And there was no cars next to me to see what they would do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 09:06 AM

22,974 posts, read 62,651,609 times
You dont have to stop on a divided highway
http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/driver_serv...DL_English.pdf
page 48

Quote:
Four-lane roadway
without a median
separation: When
school bus stops for
passengers, all traffic
from both directions
must stop.

Quote:
Divided highway of
four lanes or more with
a median separation:
When school bus
stops for passengers,
only traffic following
the bus must stop.
They are installing cameras on buses tied with the stop sign to catch those who dont stop

Old 12-11-2009, 09:34 AM

2,193 posts, read 4,825,739 times
Thanks so much!!

Old 12-11-2009, 09:40 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,373,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
I was on Providence Rd going South before Rea Rd. A school bus was heading North on Providence Rd. There's a divider on the road (a large chunk of grass dividing the road). Am I obligated to stop if I'm on the other side?

The people ahead of me were too far ahead of me and passed the bus before he put his stop sign out. And there was no cars next to me to see what they would do.

Yes you are. The reason is that a child may be crossing the street to the bus or dart out in front or behind the bus to cross the street. You stop so that anyone can cross the street safely.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:58 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,149,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Yes you are. The reason is that a child may be crossing the street to the bus or dart out in front or behind the bus to cross the street. You stop so that anyone can cross the street safely.
Children of course will do all sorts of things but at least according to the schools there should not be a bus stop on a divided highway where a child needs to cross the street to board the bus. I believe that is the case in most states.

Having said that I'd probably cover the brakes while passing just in case.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:04 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,373,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
Children of course will do all sorts of things but at least according to the schools there should not be a bus stop on a divided highway where a child needs to cross the street to board the bus. I believe that is the case in most states.

Having said that I'd probably cover the brakes while passing just in case.
I agree. I would think that if it was a divided highway, the bus would not stop there, but who knows. I'm not familar with that intersection. The info in the handbook clears it up. There are streets that do have a median where you would need stop that fall under that 4 lane rule.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:09 AM

22,974 posts, read 62,651,609 times
If its does stop and that kid is flatten the judge might dismiss the case if the parent tries to on a car not stopping because the car was simply following the law

Old 12-11-2009, 10:18 AM

11,838 posts, read 27,149,738 times
On a divided highway with a median you don't have to stop unless the bus stops say in front of an opening to make a turn.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:23 PM

35,881 posts, read 72,724,654 times
Okay, I am utterly confused and I am a native and furthermore, was a licensed bus driver in high school. What the heck are you all saying about "sometimes" you are supposed to stop even when it is a median divided highway (See post # 6). ????

Old 12-11-2009, 04:48 PM

13 posts, read 67,870 times
If there is a median the bus can not allow children to cross the road. They must exit and stay on the exit side. Reason for this is a median could obstruct the cars view of the stop arm which must be out to let kids off and the median can also obstruct the view of kids crossing in front. Opposing traffic does not need to stop if there is a median..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte