Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2009, 02:14 PM

3 posts, read 8,166 times

Advertisements

Howdy .. Heard today that we may move to Charlotte beginning of Jan

Need to start looking at rental apts ..
I'll be working out of W.Tyvola (did I get that right), 28217 .. Anyone have any good suggestions on good apartments in a safe neighborhood?
Wife and baby at home so wanted to get your opinions on good, safe, affordable places to stay...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 04:57 PM
am2

413 posts, read 852,223 times
what is your budget?

nice mid range areas will be university area, pineville, steele creek and the arboretum area (providence rd)

more upscale areas are ballentyne, south park area and northern mecklenburg co. (huntersville)

Old 12-18-2009, 04:51 PM

3 posts, read 8,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by am2 View Post
what is your budget?

nice mid range areas will be university area, pineville, steele creek and the arboretum area (providence rd)

more upscale areas are ballentyne, south park area and northern mecklenburg co. (huntersville)
How abt the crime rate in these areas? I'm not at all familiar with Charlotte nor do I have any friends or family over there .. But I have heard (may be rumours or gossip, not sure) that there is a higher crime rate in Charlotte which definitely worries me (not surprising since we are a young fmly, I'd not be that much bothered if I were coming to stay alone)....

Could anyone also help me understand the public transportation there?

PS: Thank you for replying to this.. As you can see, I'm clueless abt the place ..

Old 12-18-2009, 05:04 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,338,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsalmanu View Post
How abt the crime rate in these areas? I'm not at all familiar with Charlotte nor do I have any friends or family over there .. But I have heard (may be rumours or gossip, not sure) that there is a higher crime rate in Charlotte which definitely worries me (not surprising since we are a young fmly, I'd not be that much bothered if I were coming to stay alone)....

Could anyone also help me understand the public transportation there?

PS: Thank you for replying to this.. As you can see, I'm clueless abt the place ..
You really need to tell us your price range

We have an extensive bus system in Charlotte. Most bus routes are very convenient and we have a large transportation center uptown where you can transfer buses or just catch your bus to the suburbs. Many white collar people in Charlotte use the buses and you are pretty safe on them. If you live further out you can get on an "express" bus into uptown which meets at a central location, people park their cars and then ride straight in - no stopping or picking anyone up along the way.

We also have a light rail system which is only 2 years old and has only one leg complete, so it's not widely available to just anyone. It runs 11 miles from uptown Charlotte south to the town of Pineville. Many people drive in from the 'burbs, park at one of the first lots closest to the end of the line, then ride into uptown so that they don't pay for parking uptown.

West Tyvola is fine to work along, however, you might want to look at other areas for your family to live. Steele Creek is south of Tyvola and would be convenient to your job location. The further south you go to the state line the better it gets.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:36 PM

2,692 posts, read 3,381,418 times
university area will be way too far away,
steele creek , park road area,
pineville , it all depends on what kind of comute time is acceptable for you.
you really need to go to charlotte and ride around
to get a feel for where you want to live.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:42 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,805,665 times
Charlotte isn't Lynn. Some parts are but not the entire city.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:51 AM

701 posts, read 1,421,410 times
Here's a rough guide (and obviously not reallly apples to apples):

Pineville = Waltham/Watertown
South Park/Myers Park = Wellesley
Ballantyne = Chestnut Hill
Steele Creek = Quincy
West Charlotte/Airport Area = Roxbury
Arboretum = Natick/Framingham

Again, this is just a rough guide based on community and commerce "feel". In reality, Charlotte is fundamentally very different from Boston. Ultimately, you'll have to explore for yourself. Hope this helps.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:29 AM

24 posts, read 59,352 times
Pineville and University City are affordable; I wouldn't describe Ballantyne as very affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte