Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2007, 06:24 AM

11 posts, read 49,980 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Looking for houses in the following counties :
Union, Gaston and Cabarrus.......which ones are better in terms of schools ?
I have two children who will be in Elem. and one starting k.......thanks all help
appreciated.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 09:04 AM

29 posts, read 142,219 times
A former teacher told me that Cabarrus has the best schools in NC. Our children are currently enrolled in a great Mecklenberg school, but when we purchase our first home, we intend to look in Cabarrus County.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:13 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
It depends on your price range...after doing my homework on schools and areas for over a year now, we wound up in Union County...My dd is elem school and will be going to a brand new school Rea View Elem...and my son will be going to a brand new middle school that has just opened, Marvin Ridge Middle..we are on the Meck border but in union county...u can go to greatschoools.net

and do all your comparisions, however I encourage u to make a trip and spend enough time in each Area u are interested in because what one person thinks for the school the other person has another opinion..

for Union County
u can check
Sandy Ridge Elem
REa View Elem
Marvin Elem
Kensington Elem
Weddington Elem
Wesley Chapel
there is 1 more called Rocky River or something like that in Wesley Chapel also brand new....
Indian Trail
Porter ridge
Sardis
Shiloh
Aniotch

ALL THESE ARE ELEM SCHOOLs

good luck...

Old 05-19-2007, 10:50 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,319,732 times
Default New schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMOMOFTWO View Post
It depends on your price range...after doing my homework on schools and areas for over a year now, we wound up in Union County...My dd is elem school and will be going to a brand new school Rea View Elem...and my son will be going to a brand new middle school that has just opened, Marvin Ridge Middle..we are on the Meck border but in union county...u can go to greatschoools.net

and do all your comparisions, however I encourage u to make a trip and spend enough time in each Area u are interested in because what one person thinks for the school the other person has another opinion..

for Union County
u can check
Sandy Ridge Elem
REa View Elem
Marvin Elem
Kensington Elem
Weddington Elem
Wesley Chapel
there is 1 more called Rocky River or something like that in Wesley Chapel also brand new....
Indian Trail
Porter ridge
Sardis
Shiloh
Aniotch

ALL THESE ARE ELEM SCHOOLs

good luck...
Staci - I think the new schools you are trying to think of in the Wesley Chapel area are New Town Elementary and Rocky River Elementary. Both of those are new elementary schools opening in the fall. Most of the population for those schools (students and teachers) formerly attended (or taught at) Wesley Chapel Elementary.

Links to Union County schools websites:

http://www.ucps.k12.nc.us/schools/schools.htm (broken link)

When house hunting in Union County, you can use this School Assignment Finder to help you locate the school assignment for the coming school year. Note that Union County is opening quite a few new schools next fall, so it is important that you check for the upcoming school year's assignment:

School Assignment Finder - Union County
http://www.ucps.k12.nc.us/schoolassignment/schoolassignmentfinder.htm (broken link)

Old 05-19-2007, 11:21 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
Staci - I think the new schools you are trying to think of in the Wesley Chapel area are New Town Elementary and Rocky River Elementary. Both of those are new elementary schools opening in the fall. Most of the population for those schools (students and teachers) formerly attended (or taught at) Wesley Chapel Elementary.

Links to Union County schools websites:

http://www.ucps.k12.nc.us/schools/schools.htm (broken link)

When house hunting in Union County, you can use this School Assignment Finder to help you locate the school assignment for the coming school year. Note that Union County is opening quite a few new schools next fall, so it is important that you check for the upcoming school year's assignment:

School Assignment Finder - Union County
http://www.ucps.k12.nc.us/schoolassignment/schoolassignmentfinder.htm (broken link)

thanks for the help, as u are the best person to respond to the post

Old 05-19-2007, 12:01 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Dont rule out Gaston..scholls in Belmont are strong.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:02 PM

928 posts, read 3,851,056 times
Just a tip on gaston, make sure you do your research. There are some schools that are stronger then others. You can google the and find reviews on the schools by name and county.

Ask around too. Union County is hot right now, as I know many coworkers who live out in Union County because of the schools. The same with Cabarrus county too, there is a nice area in Cabarrus County off the 85 exit 60 it's all pretty new and they have some nice areas. There are some nice houses near North East Medical Center too, I apologize but I don't know the neighborhoods out there just which exits they are off of on the 85.

Good Luck.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:53 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,905,951 times
Generally speaking, both Cabarrus and Union have excellent schools (wife teaches in Cabarrus). I lived in Gaston until '98. Gaston's system has a mix of good and bad. The good zones are SE Gastonia and the town of Belmont. Mt. Holly's a hot spot right now, but I'm just not familiar with the schools there. The other zones are either not very good or I'm not familiar enough with them to give an acurate opinion.

All three counties have good areas from which to choose. As one poster said, don't for a second rule out Gaston. It's has some beautiful areas. Good luck in your search!

Old 05-19-2007, 08:22 PM

12 posts, read 56,666 times
We are moving to Cabarrus b/c I love the schools there and have friends who have children in their schools and rate them highly. But, I did pursue Union County schools (Weddington school district and Marvin Ridge school district) for several months because they have wonderful schools.

If you are looking at test scores and crime, they are the two OVERALL highest rated counties in the Charlotte area. You can research every single school by county at the following two websites:

www.ncreportcard.org

www.greatschools.net

Be sure you set aside plenty of reading time! Good luck!

Stacy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte