Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 04:43 PM

9 posts, read 42,884 times

Advertisements

Hi, New member here--you guys are very helpful! My husband was offered a new job in Rock Hill, SC. His boss said he lives in Charlotte and recommends living there. We are coming from Michigan (highest unemployment in nation, largest # of foreclosures in US, homes on market for over 1 year, etc..) so either NC or SC is a VAST improvement!

Not sure what area to look at. Would like to be in location with great schools, low taxes, friendly neighbors...all the things that most of us wish for!

I have looked on realtor.com and you can get a lot more house for your money (in Charlotte) than you can where we live in MI. One question though, how come a lot of the houses don't have basements? Expense? Water Table?

Your comments are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 04:55 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,149,808 times
Expense is probably the biggest factor. I've also been told that because we have a clay soil here that water doesn't drain well and basements have a tendency to hold moisture.

Old 05-19-2007, 05:15 PM

396 posts, read 1,434,996 times
If it were up to me and I had a job in Rock Hill, I'd sure stay in York County, whether it's Rock Hill, Ft Mill, or Lake Wylie/Clover. Rock Hill is close enough to give you easy access to the advantages that a city the size of Charlotte offers.

Old 05-19-2007, 05:57 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3johnsons View Post
If it were up to me and I had a job in Rock Hill, I'd sure stay in York County, whether it's Rock Hill, Ft Mill, or Lake Wylie/Clover. Rock Hill is close enough to give you easy access to the advantages that a city the size of Charlotte offers.
I totally agree with this advice. No reason to live in Charlotte and work in Rock Hill, especially when Fort Mill is such a nice place to live! Not to mention, why move to the area with the highest taxes when you don't have to?

Old 05-19-2007, 06:08 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,213,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I totally agree with this advice. No reason to live in Charlotte and work in Rock Hill, especially when Fort Mill is such a nice place to live! Not to mention, why move to the area with the highest taxes when you don't have to?
Ditto...to all the above. Oh...and if you really would like a basement...come check us out here in Tega Cay, SC (Fort Mill schools). Our terrain is ideal for walkout basements (www.tegacaysc.org).

Best to you and yours!

Old 05-19-2007, 06:09 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
Ditto...to all the above. Oh...and if you really would like a basement...come check us out here in Tega Cay, SC (Fort Mill schools). Our terrain is ideal for walkout basements (www.tegacaysc.org).

Best to you and yours!
Great minds think alike

To the original poster - pm this nice lady, she will give you LOTS of good info on the Fort Mill area and its fantastic schools

Old 05-19-2007, 07:41 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,169,531 times
If the job is in Rock Hill, I would probably choose Fort Mill as well. Though I am partial to South Charlotte and Union county

Old 05-19-2007, 08:21 PM

9 posts, read 42,884 times
Thank you so much for all of your replies. If this is any indication of the type of people that we will meet in the South, I know that we will really enjoy our move!

Old 05-19-2007, 11:55 PM

113 posts, read 457,451 times
I moved from Rock Hill to Charlotte 5 years ago and I never looked back.
Best move I ever made.
But there are talks that taxes in SC are about to change, like the expenses for schools were coming out of the property taxes, and now they might come out of sales taxes which means that property taxes are about to drop, like 3 times. It's just something I heard, would be interesting if some one had some facts.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:48 AM

396 posts, read 1,434,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wades View Post
I moved from Rock Hill to Charlotte 5 years ago and I never looked back.
Best move I ever made.
But there are talks that taxes in SC are about to change, like the expenses for schools were coming out of the property taxes, and now they might come out of sales taxes which means that property taxes are about to drop, like 3 times. It's just something I heard, would be interesting if some one had some facts.
Are you working in Rock Hill and living in Charlotte?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte