Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 03:59 PM

362 posts, read 1,341,352 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a really great restaurant in or around Charlotte that serves primarily southern-style food, soul food, or "comfort food"? (not cajun or creole)

South-eastern cuisine like fried chicken, barbeque, country fried steak, corn bread, biscuits, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, mac 'n cheese, corn on the cob, fried green tomatoes or pickles, hush puppies, sweet tea, pecan pie, cobbler, etc, is what we're looking for. Only non-chain restaurants, unless they're only located in that area of the country. (ie we're not interested in Cracker Barrel or KFC)

We can't find good southern-style restaurants out here in Phoenix, so we're interested in going to dinner at a southern or soul food restaurant while we're in Charlotte, if anyone can recommend a really great place.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 05:33 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,257,797 times
One of my favorites is actually in Lincolnton at Aunt Bessies, Very good wholesome country cookin. I love the meatloaf or the chicken dumplins made from scratch. http://www.aunt-bessies.com/ (broken link)

For a large menu selection on east side of charlotte off Central Avenue I recommend Landmark Diner.
They serve breakfast all day and I often get a craving for a good country style steak, mash potatoes, corn, black eye peas with cornbread. Watch out for the desert display at the entrance it always a good temptation with their wide selection of cakes and pies.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:55 PM

18 posts, read 68,668 times
I have never heard of Aunt Bessies, hmmmm. I was going to recommend the Charleston House off the Plaza. Have I been there? No, but I would if I allowed myself to... I heard the food is good, low country, a shrimp and grits kind of place. Lots of people like Merts Heart and Soul Uptown. I ate there once, it was ok, but it was years ago. If you want real southern cookin, the Coffee Cup off Morehead has been there forever and I think was just named a historical landmark in Charlotte. I took my son there once...he loved it. It is a dumpy kind of place but all kinds of people eat there--bankers, lawyers, blue collars, old folks, white folks, black folks, young'uns, etc. I am always watching what I eat so I can't say have tried anything. Oh, and of course there is the Chicken Coop on Camden near Uptown. People are lined up to get their grub on everytime I PASS by. The smell of fried chicken permeates the air around there! No, not eaten their either BUT all these places I would if only I could.....Oh, and don't go to Simmons--ewe. I DID eat there once and it was nasty. Also, there is a place called JaiMama on East Blvd. From what I remember, it is kinda new southern style and kinda pricey but it was ok. Hope that helps.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:35 PM

35 posts, read 171,310 times
You have to check out Mert's...

http://www.mertsuptown.com/default.aspx

Old 05-21-2007, 06:59 PM

111 posts, read 525,947 times
merts definitley and the Charleston house has an awesome buffet on Sunday.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:25 PM

18 posts, read 68,668 times
PS, Lincolnton is about an hour away from Charlotte.....

Old 05-21-2007, 10:27 PM

113 posts, read 455,381 times
Big fan, big fan, too...!
K&W cafeteria on the corner of Independence and Village lake (prepare for lo-o-ong line to get in)
Crown Point restaurant on Sardis North, just past Wall mart.
Park Rd cafe on Park and 51, into park Rd next to Black Lion
On 51 in Matthews behind Target..what's the name...
These are dirt cheap.
On the corner of Old Charlotte Highway and I think, Wesley-chappel, on the left if you come from Charlotte, my oh my, as country as it gets.
On Thomas and Central ther's Dish and Johns country kitchen, both recommended. The Pinguin there too, but i don't know, hot dogs yes, cheesy fries yes.
Providence Sundries, to my opinion has the best hot dogs and is sort of country.
Will write as i remember more!

Old 05-22-2007, 12:23 PM

94 posts, read 355,205 times
I would also recommend Dish on Thomas Ave. in Plaza-Midwood! I crave their biscuits and sweet tea (the mac and cheese is great too - oh, and so is their chocolate pecan pie) - a menu full of Southern food. Located just off Central Ave.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:17 PM

549 posts, read 2,377,210 times
Hi Aoyas,
Many people may lump all Southern food into the same pot; the fried food pot. But fried food, although common, is only one part of the whole Southern culinary fabric. You will noticed that all the styles share a common thread.
I like Charleston House on the Plaza because you can get a taste of the lowcountry cuisine Charleston is so famous for, rice dishes, vegetables, seafood (particularly shrimp),oysters, and crab; grits are also served as well. I like mine for breakfast

Price's Chicken Coop located in Southend is a Charlotte institution (like the Penguin) for many long time Charlotteans. You can order the best home style fried chicken in town. The chicken is served with tater tots(hashbrowns), a roll and coleslaw yum yum.

Simmons Fourth Ward Restaurant is another local eastery that offers what some call "soul food" or "country cooking" be prepared for some hearty foods. That wafered banana pudding I had for desert made me forget my rigid diet regime.

Mert's Heart and Soul in uptown Charlotte is another place I highly regard.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:08 PM

46 posts, read 143,964 times
Default The Penguin

I am moving to CLT next spring. I cannot wait....little granddaughter....Grams is on her way!!!

Two of my SoCal friends left messages on my machine over the weekend about a restaurant called The Penguin which was reviewed on the food channel.

any info on The Penguin??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte