U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 07:33 PM

6 posts, read 12,028 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I have recently moved to clt frm Dallas TX, I am of Indian origin and am a homemaker, I was wondering wht would be the best way to meet new people and get involved in the community. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 08:03 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,700,573 times
Hi Desi! Welcome to Charlotte! What part of the city are you living in, and do you have children?

Old 12-30-2009, 08:14 PM

Hey Costalgirl...thanks for writing...we are in a corp acco in uptown...and are looking for a place to buy...no we dun have children yet....what part of town are you in?

Old 12-30-2009, 08:25 PM

571 posts, read 637,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desigurl View Post
Hello everyone!

I have recently moved to clt frm Dallas TX, I am of Indian origin and am a homemaker, I was wondering wht would be the best way to meet new people and get involved in the community. Thanks!
I would say the best answer to that question would apply anywhere: For starters, find a group or organization of people who do activities you enjoy. For example, if you like to jog, join a running group. If you like to read, join a book club. If you like wine, join a wine-tasting club. If you like languages or learning about other cultures, sign up for some courses at CPCC. Once you find a few friends, you'll start developing a network.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:40 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,700,573 times
We are in Steele Creek. We don't have kids yet either, but have made many friends in the neighborhood just by meeting the neighbors on walks and getting involved in community activities. I think Brichard's advice is perfect! What kind of activities do you enjoy? Do you know where you would like to buy your home?

Old 12-30-2009, 09:02 PM

Thanks Brichard....thats great advice ...really apperciate that...do u know any such clubs or groups.

Hey Costalgirls.....good to hear frm you again! I like reading, a lot of outdoor stuff , n yes I would love to join a wine tasting grp...abt the home thingy ...we dont know yet ...whr we wanna be.....my hubby wrks uptown n is looking for an easy commute...

Old 12-30-2009, 10:02 PM

248 posts, read 681,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desigurl View Post
Thanks Brichard....thats great advice ...really apperciate that...do u know any such clubs or groups.

Hey Costalgirls.....good to hear frm you again! I like reading, a lot of outdoor stuff , n yes I would love to join a wine tasting grp...abt the home thingy ...we dont know yet ...whr we wanna be.....my hubby wrks uptown n is looking for an easy commute...
hi desi girl,

Let me see, if I can help you a little. When, I moved to charlotte for work, I eazily made friends at work, but along with that.. i looked up to get involved in some stuff and got involved with a scrabble group that i found on craigslist. I'd say, check on craigslist and in the community section, check out links like groups, activities, volunteers. you may find something that interests you.

Also, depends on how long you are in the country and what are your preferences. If you are planning to mingle with some folks of indian origin then am not sure if there are anything like activities, and groups, on sulekha.com, me2desi.com and such desi sites.. worth a check out.
Also, if you are interested, there is a gurudwara in charlotte, and there is an indian hindu temple. (there is also BAPS), not sure if all those interest you, you can try to get involved with somethings there to find other indian groups.

Also, about the house, uptown is not bad place to live. a lot of them prefer that. If you wanna feel like Dallas or New Jersery and wanna have much indian interaction around, North Charlotte/ University area is recommended. If you wanna stay away from that and wanna change from the Dallas type setting, then you can try south charlotte.

I live in Southpark, myers park area. Its a little expensive, but defintely worth it.

Goodluck!

Last edited by bluetruckguy; 12-30-2009 at 10:13 PM..

Old 12-30-2009, 10:45 PM

Hey Bluetruck guy!....thanks for your help..!!! Welll i have been in this country for 10 plus years now n plan to be here for a while i guess.....im not particular of minglin only with indians.....for me...itz more imp to meet ppl ...i can connect with n are fun to be around.....
I have looked at some condos at uptown but have not really liked anything.....we dun want a long commute....n houses in southpark are exp.....our budget is abt 500k....so we r a bit stuck...
Thanks again n have a good one!

Old 12-31-2009, 04:50 AM

23,237 posts, read 12,501,682 times
www.meetup.com is a great way to meet people who share a particular interest or hobby.

Good luck!

Old 12-31-2009, 09:42 AM

thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>