Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 09:44 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,571,477 times

Advertisements

Yes, just remember that this is one article on basically one way they ranked the school. There are many more factors that come into play when you are rating schools. Charlotte-Meck schools are really on a downslide. Yes there are some individual schools that still do OK and are even great but as a whole most of them are below average.

That is another reason why I love Fort Mill. They consistantly do well on many different levels. They have received money from the gates foundation for consistantly performing well out of the thousands of schools in the country. Test scores are always high. Drop out rates are always low. A well above average amount of kids go to college and do well. You get the picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 09:45 PM

10 posts, read 32,092 times
CMS as a whole leaves MUCH to be desired. I AM really surprised that Olympic made the list. Used to live in the Steele Creek area of SW Charlotte and found it sorely lacking.

Moved to Fort Mill last year mainly for the school system - BOY what a difference! While my son was attending the Talent Development school at Tuckaseegee with CMS (their gifted student school), when we moved to Fort Mill last year, he was quite a bit behind. While he excelled at CMS, he didn't test high enough to enter the Fort Mill gifted student program. But it wasn't long before he caught up - student/teacher ration is much better and his personality totally changed for the better as well.

I have read that the Fort Mill school system is supposedly the best in the southeast and havning experienced both school systems, I believe it.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:32 PM

73 posts, read 247,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herfnerd View Post
CMS as a whole leaves MUCH to be desired. I AM really surprised that Olympic made the list. Used to live in the Steele Creek area of SW Charlotte and found it sorely lacking.

Moved to Fort Mill last year mainly for the school system - BOY what a difference! While my son was attending the Talent Development school at Tuckaseegee with CMS (their gifted student school), when we moved to Fort Mill last year, he was quite a bit behind. While he excelled at CMS, he didn't test high enough to enter the Fort Mill gifted student program. But it wasn't long before he caught up - student/teacher ration is much better and his personality totally changed for the better as well.

I have read that the Fort Mill school system is supposedly the best in the southeast and havning experienced both school systems, I believe it.
It is kind of sad really. You can either live outside the city and fight the traffic or live in the city and bite the bullet for private school.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:01 PM

295 posts, read 1,062,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
Newsweek has released it's annual report of America's best public high schools and again the Charlotte area is represented fourteen times, with Myers Park High coming in at # 29. Others are: Harding, Providence, North Meck, David Butler, South Meck, Hopewell, East Meck, Garinger, Olympic, Vance, Northwest School of the Arts, Lake Norman, and Independence. The entire article is posted on msn.com. Congratulations CMS
You should look into how they get their results. Fort Mill has great schools and they were not on the list.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:02 PM

95 posts, read 385,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mags View Post
You should look into how they get their results. Fort Mill has great schools and they were not on the list.
Union County NC which is right next to Fort Mill SC has top ranked schools and they were not on the list either. You won't find Fort Mill proactively creating a suitable educational environment with "Learning Cottages". Union County NC has this distinction and seems to be a step ahead of Fort Mill in this regard.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:28 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,215,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina-Trader View Post
Union County NC which is right next to Fort Mill SC has top ranked schools and they were not on the list either. You won't find Fort Mill proactively creating a suitable educational environment with "Learning Cottages". Union County NC has this distinction and seems to be a step ahead of Fort Mill in this regard.
I mean no disrespect by what I am about to say (because I do think there are some excellent schools within CMS and Union Cnty) but what do "Learning Cottages" have to do with learning? Aren't they just a new name for mobile units?

Old 05-31-2007, 06:41 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,719,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
I mean no disrespect by what I am about to say (because I do think there are some excellent schools within CMS and Union Cnty) but what do "Learning Cottages" have to do with learning? Aren't they just a new name for mobile units?
Yes, I had to chuckle when I first heard that term used, here in Union County. It's just a way of sugar-coating the word "trailer". BTW, my daughter loves the fact that her class is held in a trailer (yes, I was shocked to hear that myself), but she says that the whole class loves it. I really don't understand what the big deal is, they're very nice units, and that's just the way it is, here in Union County, new schools open up with trailers on the lots, while other newer schools are being built.
The education my children are receiving here is first rate! I'm very happy with the schools!

Old 05-31-2007, 06:51 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,323,027 times
Default "Learning Cottages"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Yes, I had to chuckle when I first heard that term used, here in Union County. It's just a way of sugar-coating the word "trailer". BTW, my daughter loves the fact that her class is held in a trailer (yes, I was shocked to hear that myself), but she says that the whole class loves it. I really don't understand what the big deal is, they're very nice units, and that's just the way it is, here in Union County, new schools open up with trailers on the lots, while other newer schools are being built.
The education my children are receiving here is first rate! I'm very happy with the schools!
LOL..."Learning Cottages." The first principal at Marvin Elementary, Rob Jackson, brought that term to Union County. My student was there when Marvin Elementary first opened. Before she moved on to middle school, we had over 20 "learning cottages" out behind the school in "Marvin Meadow." Gotta love Rob Jackson - a great motivator and upbeat man who believed in making lemonade out of lemons. He ran a first rate school and was loved by parents, teachers and students. He is now principal at Parkwood High.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:39 AM

473 posts, read 1,579,202 times
Red face "Learning cottages"

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
LOL..."Learning Cottages." The first principal at Marvin Elementary, Rob Jackson, brought that term to Union County. My student was there when Marvin Elementary first opened. Before she moved on to middle school, we had over 20 "learning cottages" out behind the school in "Marvin Meadow." Gotta love Rob Jackson - a great motivator and upbeat man who believed in making lemonade out of lemons. He ran a first rate school and was loved by parents, teachers and students. He is now principal at Parkwood High.
"Learning cottages", or whatever you want to call them, are in a lot of areas that people move to and the schools cannot keep up with the demand. They were all over FL and not necessarily bad schools. From what I understand, they are absolutely beautiful and once inside, it is surprising that they are trailers. I don't think it matters as long as the kids are getting a good education...

Old 11-04-2007, 07:04 AM

2 posts, read 6,572 times
Default College Coaching

I’ve read a lot of the blogs on this site, and it seems that there are a lot of concerned parents in the Charlotte region about their child’s education, specifically college.

The strength of your high school and curriculum is only one of the 4 major things that improve your child's chances at getting into the college of your choice. The other 3 are: The Courses They Have Taken, Scores on SAT and ACT, and Community Activities.

Fifty-two percent of students drop out of college each year and the top three reasons are Lack of Funding, Changing Majors and Changing Schools.

The best option to prepare your child for school is getting help outside of your High School from an independent coach, of sorts. Many affluent people in the Charlotte area have chosen this path, but have soon realized that it is quite pricey for a personal coach. Additionally, with the prices of college education rising every year (6 percent in 2006), financing your child’s education is becoming more and more difficult.

Moderator cut: tos violation

Every college wants to fill each seat for as high of a price as possible.

Thank you,
Lisa Moore
Moderator cut: tos violation

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-04-2007 at 10:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: