Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 02:44 AM

403 posts, read 878,383 times

Advertisements

My DH and I decided that we would leave early from work on Friday and try to catch the movie..."Up In The Air", since it had been given six Golden Globe Nominations. After paying for the tickets...$14.00 (Senior), getting two small drinks and two small popcorns $21.00.....we entered the theatre expecting to see a really good movie, especially with all those nominations!! There were only three more couples there...was that a warning for more things to come??
I honestly can't tell you the last time that I saw a more boring movie than this one. I can only guess that since George Clooney was in it...they had to beef up the advertising on it...so that they could make payment to him for his acting. The young woman Anna K. was seemingly miscast, as she was suppose to be possibly a woman around twenty four, but looked and sounded like a girl of probably sixteen. I wanted to complete her eyebrows that seemed to come to an arch and stop....I suppose that was to make her look older, smarter, believeable or all three. The other woman (name escapes me right now) played a more believeable part, and to us she was the only plus.
Anyway, we feel that we wasted a lot of time and money for our "Date Night"....I told my DH that I sure would like to take some snacks in next time, but they would probably have some "Body Scanners" that would set off an alarm on two old people that had boxes of Raisenettes in their pockets (not my exact words)!!
Has anyone here on City-Data seen a movie that they would like to share their feelings about....and any place that seemed reasonable...other than home...concerning tickets and snacks????? I think I will wait awhile and try to get a CD rental...because in these economic times, that seems like the only way to do it...have a "Date Night" at home!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 05:14 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,098 times
I don't know if it is still there or not as it has been a few years since I have been, but the small 1950s theatre on Providence Rd between Myers Park and Eastover (the name escapes me at the moment) used to show a lot of independent and foriegn film. They are generally much better than anything that Hollywood churns out for the masses these days. Supposedly there was a similar theatre in Ballentine that did similar but I haven't been to it and I've not heard much of it lately. This is the place that serves wine and appetisers during the film.

Charlotte does need a good art house theatre. It's one of the major missing things from this city and as a result, a lot of good films simply bypass the area.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:21 AM
amp

519 posts, read 1,516,066 times
first...I always bring in my water and candy, only buy a small popcorn and though I don't tell them, I also haven't had an issue with that - its not a crime, they just want you to spend more money there.
Im sad to hear that movie wasn't good, but glad you pointed it out...it was on my list of "to see". I will say that I have heard It's Complicated is pretty good from a couple of friends of mine that have already seen it.
As for more economical movie places...good luck and hopefully someone can enlighten me too. For us, just to see a movie(with bringing in my stuff) plus a babysitter, plus maybe wanting to get dinner...its a small fortune($50-80)...needless to say we haven't done that in a while. In my hometown they had a theatre that offered $2 movies that were just past screening but not in the video store yet...it was great.
The rental movies that I wouldn't see...Inglorious Bastards...I thought it was going to be great and it was a bloody dragout of a movie.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:44 AM

13 posts, read 47,764 times
Mondays through Thursday all tickets are $5.00 at AMC Carolina Pavilion 22 on South Blvd. They used to offer a $5.00 all you can eat popcorn deal as well but I have not been there in a while.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:59 AM
amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by easzman View Post
Mondays through Thursday all tickets are $5.00 at AMC Carolina Pavilion 22 on South Blvd. They used to offer a $5.00 all you can eat popcorn deal as well but I have not been there in a while.
is that all day?? that is great!

Old 01-10-2010, 06:07 AM

13 posts, read 47,764 times
Yes. ALL DAY Monday through Thursday.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:12 AM
amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by easzman View Post
Yes. ALL DAY Monday through Thursday.
Im definately going to have to check that out!! Thanks

Old 01-10-2010, 06:16 AM

852 posts, read 2,468,463 times
I dropped my 15 year old off at stonecrest Regal last week to see Avatar (not the IMAX version now) in 3d. It was $13.50 and he said it wasn't worth it. The Imax was even more expensive. My other son went to see it at Arboretum - no 3 d there and it was $10. Redbox for me. I can wait for a movie.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:18 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
I don't know if it is still there or not as it has been a few years since I have been, but the small 1950s theatre on Providence Rd between Myers Park and Eastover (the name escapes me at the moment) used to show a lot of independent and foriegn film. They are generally much better than anything that Hollywood churns out for the masses these days.
The Manor Twin, run by the Regal Group.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:29 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
I saw Avatar at the IMAX theater in Stonecrest and I thought it was fantastic. Visually, it was the coolest movie I've ever seen. The story was so-so (a bit predictable, but what movie isn't?), but the visual presentation of the movie was 2nd to none.

I'd go see it again in IMAX, you're wasting your time with anything else, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte