U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 06:25 AM

142 posts, read 378,881 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a great wedding photographer? I am trying to get recommendations before I start making calls! I don't know any direct friends that have been married in Charlotte and used a photographer so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! What is the average cost of a good photographer for a wedding?

Please Help!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 06:59 AM

198 posts, read 590,004 times
Hi ulaap, congrats on your upcoming wedding! I am a professional photographer myself, but I don't do weddings, so this isn't an advertisement.

Wedding photography is one of the more expensive types of photography. A "good" photographer (see below points) will charge around $5,000 for a fairly comprehensive package of his/her time, a package of prints, and an album. However, prices vary GREATLY so don't take this as the Bible truth for every photographer! Most people don't understand why it's so expensive, but it is incredibly difficult for a photographer to accurately capture all the details of a wedding. Here's a little glimpse into why:

1) There are NO DO-OVERS! This causes the most stress. You are photographing someone's most important day, and if you miss something, you will devastate your client. There are a million things happening so quickly during a wedding. It is critical to find a photographer who is EXPERIENCED with weddings, so he/she can anticipate what's happening and where to be ready. Also, an experienced wedding photographer likely has shot other weddings in your same venue and can anticipate lighting challenges, which brings me to my next point.

2) Most churches don't allow flash photography during weddings, and photography is all about light. If you can't get plenty of light, you can't get good pictures. Period. (Although the expensive cameras that pros use help a bit on this point.) Even if a church allows flash photography, sanctuaries are so large that it takes very heavy, large lighting sytems to set up and use. This has to be done in advance, unobstrusively, and afterwards has to be carefully taken down -- but then who's taking pictures of the cocktail hour and/or the wedding party? Now you're starting to get an idea why weddings are so stressful for photographers.

3) *Good* photography equipment is very expensive. Shooting fast-paced events like receptions requires specific types of cameras and lenses, as do dark shooting environments like the insides of churches. Lighting systems, special batteries, etc: this stuff is NOT cheap, trust me! LOL. But it's ESSENTIAL for well-exposed images. And you'd be surprised how many people think that because you're shooting digital, you don't really have very many expenses. After all, you don't have to buy film anymore, right? Well ... it also used to be that you just dropped your film off at the lab, and they processed it for you. Now every photographer also has to be his/her own darkroom technician. Which leads me to my last point:

4) The number one reason photography is so expensive is that for every hour I spend shooting, I spend about 4-5 hours editing and organizing/sorting the images. For the typical 2-hour family shoots I do, that's not too bad. However, consider the wedding photographer who shoots for 5-6 hours and has close to 1,000 images at the end of the day. It will take him/her a WEEK of solid work to go through all those images, and that doesn't take into account any other shoots or editing he has to do for other clients. It's incredibly time-consuming ... but you get what you pay for!

I know this is probably more than you ever needed to know (LOL), but it's obviously a subject matter close to my heart. It kills me whenever I hear someone say "Being a photographer is the easiest job in the world!" or "I can't believe how expensive photographers are!" People just don't understand the job at all, so I try to educate them whenever I have the chance.

As for any local recommendations, there are probably tons of good wedding photographers here, but I would look into Jeremy Igo. I don't know him personally, but he is well respected within Charlotte's pro photography community. Also, he holds seminars and teaches classes for other photographers, which is always a good sign!

Congrats again, and best of luck!

Old 01-11-2010, 07:02 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,332,551 times
Critsey Rowe = excellent.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:14 AM

20 posts, read 40,879 times
Washington D.C. and Destination Wedding Photographer Armin DeFiesta. Wedding Photography in DC, Virginia, and Maryland. (http://www.armindefiesta.com/main.php - broken link)

I know him, and he is VERY good.

He usually works in the Baltimore/DC/Virgina area, but I would contact him to see if he would come down to NC. It's not that far and would be worth the try.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:08 AM

8,233 posts, read 12,084,100 times
Jim Matthews....
this guy is great !!!

Phone:(704) 868-4817

Old 01-11-2010, 09:14 AM

530 posts, read 1,072,308 times
http://www.kristinvining.com
http://www.kristinviningphotoblog.com
http://www.weddingsandthecity.com

No Idea about price but she is amazing and If I was to marry 10 times I'd use her every time..

Old 01-11-2010, 10:56 AM

454 posts, read 715,177 times
We have used Terri for both of our kids when they got married and were very satisfied with the results.

Terri's View Photography : Charlotte Based Photographer : Weddings Photography - Greek Weddings Photographer

Old 01-11-2010, 11:19 AM

2,115 posts, read 6,595,145 times
Please check out Laura Manzare. We love her work!

www.lauramanzare.com

Go to "Featured" and click on "weddings".

Good luck!

Sara

Old 01-12-2010, 06:50 AM

83 posts, read 199,644 times
I wrote a message like the previous posters and it got deleted apparently because it was looked at as direct advertising. I am not Taylor Stewart nor do I work for her. I was just a happy customer like the rest of those people posting.

That said I would recommend Taylor Stewart Photography. She shot my wedding a little over a year and a half ago and did a great job. Like the rest of you, I'm going to post her website and hope that I don't get deleted again.

Taylor Stewart Photography

The other thing I wrote in my original message is that I too, like ECM08, am a photographer, but I DO NOT do weddings. I do agree with what ECM08 wrote. I've tried to shoot wedding in the way past and it's a hard job to do well. It takes a special kind of person to shoot a wedding. If you find a good wedding photographer it's worth every penny.

Again, I do not have any direct association with Taylor, other than being a happy customer.

The other thing I would recommend is to ask whichever photographer you are thinking of choosing, to show you a current job they are working on. Reason being, any body can come up with 10-20 good images after 5 years or so, but to see how well the current job is going will tell you what to expect from yours.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:32 AM

69 posts, read 198,638 times
Congrats on your engagement! I am engaged too! I went to the bridal show at the University Hilton this past Sunday and plan on going to the one uptown on the 24th of this month as well. You can find all kinds of photogs at these shows amoung other vendors it was really fun even having to go by myself The Bridal Showcase
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte