Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 08:01 AM

46 posts, read 102,545 times

Advertisements

Ok, in Upstate NY, we have Adecco (Employment Agency).... there's one in Charlotte as well. I applied for a position (in Charlotte) that was posted through them and called to leave a message alerting them to my information. I received a call the very next business day from a woman who seemed to be quite "unprofessional" (compared to Upstate) and was even chatting with her background people while I was talking about my experience (which she asked me to do). So, she asked for 2 references which I submitted 2 days later. I tried to call the same number I originally called to alert her to the 2 references sitting in her inbox and the number was busy for about an hour or so, so I never got through. I got an automatically generated email from them requesting to take a test online the next day, which I did (and I'm confident that I passed, it was just on Excel, Word, Proofreading and Reading Comprehension)- but since submitting my references, I haven't heard from this woman yet. How is Adecco in Charlotte? Are they as reputable as they are in NY? Or was this position "too good to be true"?

Also, are there any other reputable agencies in Charlotte? Doing a Google search yields several, but there's no way to tell the good eggs from the bad ones... (by the way, my industry is Advertising/Marketing, Interactive, Writing/Copywriting)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 09:25 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,828,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love7182 View Post
Ok, in Upstate NY, we have Adecco (Employment Agency).... there's one in Charlotte as well. I applied for a position (in Charlotte) that was posted through them and called to leave a message alerting them to my information. I received a call the very next business day from a woman who seemed to be quite "unprofessional" (compared to Upstate) and was even chatting with her background people while I was talking about my experience (which she asked me to do). So, she asked for 2 references which I submitted 2 days later. I tried to call the same number I originally called to alert her to the 2 references sitting in her inbox and the number was busy for about an hour or so, so I never got through. I got an automatically generated email from them requesting to take a test online the next day, which I did (and I'm confident that I passed, it was just on Excel, Word, Proofreading and Reading Comprehension)- but since submitting my references, I haven't heard from this woman yet. How is Adecco in Charlotte? Are they as reputable as they are in NY? Or was this position "too good to be true"?

Also, are there any other reputable agencies in Charlotte? Doing a Google search yields several, but there's no way to tell the good eggs from the bad ones... (by the way, my industry is Advertising/Marketing, Interactive, Writing/Copywriting)
I applied for a job on careerbuilder that Adecco advertised for, took the online testing and never heard from them again. I had done testing for another agency & went in for an agency interview never to hear from them again. I noticed in my 15 months of unemployment that the agencies keep running the same job descriptions over and over. My theory is they are just fishing for candidates and really don't have job postions. Either that or the VP is one hell of a SOB and has quite an assistant turnover.

I only applied for maybe 3 jobs that agencies advertised for, I did better on my own. I worked in the apparel industry for 20 years and they have a few job websites devoted specifically to that industry, I'll bet you could find a few for yours. Have you checked into freelancing until you find something permanent?

FREELANCE COPYWRITING JOBS / JOBS FOR COPYWRITERS / courtesy of GetAFreelancer

Old 01-15-2010, 10:10 AM

I tried checking for the position I applied for on Google and it came up on several different sites, and some said it had even been removed all together. Anyhow, I am not looking for Freelance-type work because I am trying to relocate to Charlotte but need to find a (permanent) job there first. This was why and how I stumbled across Adecco in the first place.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:25 AM

461 posts, read 985,429 times
My wife got her current job through Adecco last year. Oddly enough, her contact person was in upstate NY. I'm DMing you the lady's email address, maybe she can help.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:30 AM

Thanks lanigan!!

Old 01-15-2010, 11:41 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:

I worked for Adecco for a bit, the first job I took out of college. They were basically an HR firm, they hire "employees" that work on a contract for another organization.

I thought it was crap. They were effectively "taking a cut" of the fruit of my labor, they were chronically incompetent and minimally professional (even with the limited amount of actual "work" they do), and they had no knowledge of my field. They had no real benefits, and there was no opportunity for advancement, and "job security" was determined not by my performance, but by the terms of Adecco's contract with Adecco's client firm.

I'd take the job again if I had to do it over - simply because I need to eat. But basically any other sort of employment is preferable to Adecco's system, and I bailed at the first opportunity.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I worked for Adecco for a bit, the first job I took out of college. They were basically an HR firm, they hire "employees" that work on a contract for another organization.

I've also worked with them years ago in NY and had no issues with them... was under their contract for 3 months before the company decided to hire me. I'm just questioning the different location's way of doing things.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I've also worked with them years ago in NY and had no issues with them... was under their contract for 3 months before the company decided to hire me. I'm just questioning the different location's way of doing things.
I imagine it varies by contract, more than it varies by geographic location. If I remember correctly, Adecco is a large international company out of Switzerland, maybe?

Old 01-15-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I imagine it varies by contract, more than it varies by geographic location. If I remember correctly, Adecco is a large international company out of Switzerland, maybe?
It is international, but I suppose I should have said "I'm just questioning the different location's way of doing things...as far as their workers are concerned..."

Old 01-15-2010, 12:58 PM

well I oughta point out that I was in Greensboro, not Charlotte. Anyway best of luck to ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte