Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 07:14 AM

2 posts, read 4,677 times

Advertisements

With the EpiCentre, NC Music Factory, and the already established bars, nightclubs, and restaurants scattered across Charlotte, our nightlife is really growing!

I just wanted to see what people thought. What do you like/dislike?

Thanks,
Hunter Wilson

A compilation of the responses will be incorporated into a nightlife blog on charlotte.carolinanightlife.com

Last edited by hunterwilson; 01-23-2010 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: misspelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 08:02 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,686,469 times
There was a thread about this already, where people were looking for lounge's, upscale clubs. The conclusion was Charlotte really has bars. With that, I'd rate the nightlife experience a C with not alot of replay value. Basically it's boring. I was looking for lounges. I went to Apostrophe - wack. I was told to go to Luna Lounge. I will this Wednesday. Even if that is better than the places I have been to, the fact is there are few choices for lounges or nice clubs like you find in Atlanta, Miami, ect.. Just a some bars.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:09 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,489 times
Default Newsflash!!! More diversity

Charlotte needs more diversity on the nightlife front.
- Clubs/Lounges that cater to only House Music
- Clubs/Lounges that cater to only Smooth Jazz fans
- Clubs/Lounges that have cater to Comedy that would host "comedy sets"
- Clubs/Lounges that cater to Spoken Word

Old 01-23-2010, 09:38 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,346 times
If you can't find what you want in Charlotte, you either don't know the city, or you aren't really looking. It is a great place for bar hopping or to go to a venue with your prefered music. Like any other city, besides the mega cities, there may be something highly unusual or unpopular that you can't find, but it will eventually arrive. Remember, Charlotte is half the size of Atlanta and Miami is the most international city in the world. To compare the two is really ridiculous.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:15 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,717,585 times
the DW and I went w/a ton of friends uptown to Whiskey River and got absolutely hammered and had a ball! It was a great time.....loved every minute of it...I'd definitely recommend it.....

Old 01-23-2010, 01:00 PM

631 posts, read 1,227,442 times
I think the venues need to be set up a lil better maybe have some live performances by some well named artist. Are have nights were there are themes. Like the mansion on peachtree in Atlanta set it up were they relived studio 72 and they had plenty of celebs that came for this event... Just an idea but Charlotte has ok nightlife you can have fun just depends on who your with and what it is that you like too do

Old 01-23-2010, 01:04 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,134,441 times
The main thing I dont like is the uncontrolled selling of alcohol. I know for a fact that many if not all of these clubs will continue to sell drinks to people who are very very very drunk as long as they got the money to pay for them. Not enough ATF enforcement for sure. The clubs know that many customers go from club to club so blaming them would be hard because they will say the other club is where they got too drunk ....Its all about the money. People have been known to "disappear" from clubs up town also.. Check the Kyle Fleisherman story.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:44 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,696,757 times
I think there is a pretty decent variety of places. If we want to go to more a a local and / or dive-y kind of bar, we can go to the Sandtrap or Snug Harbor. If we want something more upscale, we can go to the bars at Bentley's on 23, Chima or Mez.

My only complaint is that too many of the local places that host bands tend to book a lot of lame cover bands or (even worse) "tribute" bands. I'd love to see more places support local bands who play original music.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:17 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,717,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
The main thing I dont like is the uncontrolled selling of alcohol. I know for a fact that many if not all of these clubs will continue to sell drinks to people who are very very very drunk as long as they got the money to pay for them. Not enough ATF enforcement for sure. The clubs know that many customers go from club to club so blaming them would be hard because they will say the other club is where they got too drunk ....Its all about the money. People have been known to "disappear" from clubs up town also.. Check the Kyle Fleisherman story.
I really don't know how realistically you can enforce something like that....when you have a facility w/200+ people which many are buzzed or hammered, I really don't know what you can do....you can't enforce a "drink limit" per person because all you have to do is have your friend go up to the bar to buy the next round.....

I also don't want more govco involved...we have enough already (ie the ABC)...

Old 01-23-2010, 06:15 PM

530 posts, read 1,181,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
To my knowledge, there has been ONE disappearance (from Charlotte night-life, never to be seen again)... And I'd bet we have a better rate when it comes to things like that then other large cities. Besides, people disappear all the time. I'm sure it has nothing to do with "Charlotte Night-Life"..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte