Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 09:27 PM

31 posts, read 125,495 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm thinking about moving to Mooresville or Concord in August and was wondering if anyone could give me more info about the area. I'm in my early 30's and have 2 children ages 12 and 13. I've done a lot of research on Concord and really like that area. I'm wondering if Mooresville is going to be too small for us. We'd like to be fairly close to entertainment, stores, etc. Any info that you can provide me with will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 08:52 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,913,736 times
There are a ton of threads on Mooresville. Check these out:
//www.city-data.com/forum/searc...archid=1051733

Personally, I'd go with Concord because Mooresville is an overcrowded nightmare. I had to go up there for car service this past week, and wanted to rip someone's head off the traffic was so bad. And this is coming from a gal who drives around Charlotte all day and night. Mooresville traffic is WAY worse than Charlotte. Concord is not overcrowded (yet), is easy access to Charlotte while avoiding I-77, and has good schools and plenty to do. Good luck.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:16 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,378,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifermotes View Post
Hi, I'm thinking about moving to Mooresville or Concord in August and was wondering if anyone could give me more info about the area. I'm in my early 30's and have 2 children ages 12 and 13. I've done a lot of research on Concord and really like that area. I'm wondering if Mooresville is going to be too small for us. We'd like to be fairly close to entertainment, stores, etc. Any info that you can provide me with will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.
I LOVE Mooresville! I live east of I 77, off rte 3 & it's still nice & quiet there. I take back roads to go to the Concord Mills Mall & am there in 20 mins. You can get to I 85 in about the same time. The traffic on I 77 in & out of Charlotte is bad, it can back up real quick. One accident & it's tied up. In reality, you will get traffic anywhere near a major city. In Mooresville, I would avoid the west side of I 77 all along 150. They just keep building more & more there.....stores & houses. All the shopping you need is there & then some. Traffic can be horrible at certain times of the day. Coming from NY, the traffic here is a bunt in comparison.

The Mooresville grades school district is very good. My son goes to Mooresville HS & I can't say enough nice things about his teachers. His grades are excellent & he has made many friends here.

We looked at Concord too when we were deciding on where to build. Mooresville offered more of what we were looking for...good schools...nice area with a small town feel...close enough to Charlotte...shopping...restaurants....it was the right fit for us.

Good Luck!!

BxRosie

Old 05-27-2007, 09:12 PM

36 posts, read 145,599 times
BXROSIE....

I also am interested in the East side of 77 in Mooresville - looking at possibly Linwood farms subdivision......
but if I want to go to Walmart, Target, grocery stores or Best buy - how far am I going to have to travel and how bad will traffic be???

Thanks,
Jodi

Old 05-27-2007, 11:27 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,083,984 times
Mooresville is a nice city, but its a rapidly growing Charlotte suburb.

Anyone who says that traffic isnt an issue has their head in the sand. Traffic is a nightmare, anywhere on Hwy 150 which is the main corridor through the city, is gridlocked during peak travel times, and on almost all hours on the weekend.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:57 AM

113 posts, read 457,393 times
I...don't..like..moresville...well...nice homes there guys...guess what...we have nicer, if it's not on the waterfront you might as well live uptown Charlotte. +++ (a good thing, come on uptoun. life is great)

Old 05-28-2007, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodz10 View Post
BXROSIE....

I also am interested in the East side of 77 in Mooresville - looking at possibly Linwood farms subdivision......
but if I want to go to Walmart, Target, grocery stores or Best buy - how far am I going to have to travel and how bad will traffic be???

Thanks,
Jodi
Hi Jodi,

All of the stores you mentioned are in Mooresville along the 150 corridor. If you go during rush hour times it can take up to 30 mins to get there from Linwood Farms. Off peak hours it's a 15 min drive. Certain times of day, I'll go across Brawley School Rd to get to that side of I 77 to avoid 150.

Personally, it doesn't bother me. Before I moved here, the nearest Walmart to me was 26 miles away, Target 18 miles, Best Buy 20 miles. Mind you I lived only 50 miles north of NYC. We had no kind of shopping where I lived. The closest "mall" was 15 miles away. The traffic was way worse there than it is here.

Rosann

Old 05-28-2007, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wades View Post
I...don't..like..moresville...well...nice homes there guys...guess what...we have nicer, if it's not on the waterfront you might as well live uptown Charlotte. +++ (a good thing, come on uptoun. life is great)
To each his own!

We didn't want to live on the lakefront. Had a boat before, been there-done that, didn't feel like doing it again. Why pay a higher price for the same home just because it's on/near the lake? It's not what we wanted.

We saw many lovely houses in North Charlotte, we just didn't want to be that close to the city. We didn't like the school district there either.

Every area has it's good & bad points, you just have to find what works for you.

BxRosie

Old 06-16-2007, 08:55 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times
Have to agree with BXRosie. Moved here from MD. We live on the west side of I77 and we chose our subdivision over Harris Village 3 years ago because our research stated that the Lake Norman schools were better than the Mooresville schools. We think that was a big mistake! We've learned from experience that the city schools may have been the better choice.

Otherwise, we get along ok here. We also drive Brawley School or Cornelius Roads to beat the Exit 36 traffic logjam when we cross town.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:11 PM

473 posts, read 1,578,721 times
Red face Mooresville?

150 is bad, also, the commute to Charlotte, too. Curious why you don't look at Huntersville? At least the commute is good and it has water while Concord is in a water battle between NC and SC because they lack water. Not good...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte