U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2010, 09:09 AM

2 posts, read 4,674 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering moving to Union NC,Wahaw, Weddington etc.We want to leave Wrong Island.We have heard good things about the area.My wife is a special ed teacher.She is a sub so nothing is established yet.She just got out of school last year.She would be happy with something part time or a sub to start.I would be happy getting a part time job in a resto/hot rod shop race car chassis,fab shop.We have two boys 11 and 8.I would like to get some info on how the benifits/pension/medical worked out there and how you like it.The taxes and cost of living are getting out of control here.
Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 09:26 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,138,398 times
I met a guy in my neighborhood (in Weddington) that retired NYPD and now owns a trophy store in area. My son's basketball coach is retired NYC policeman (he may have been a prison guard, not police though), both moved here in last 5 yrs. and I have met over last few yrs other retired NY fire/police so you won't be alone in Union County.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:53 AM

2 posts, read 4,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
I met a guy in my neighborhood (in Weddington) that retired NYPD and now owns a trophy store in area. My son's basketball coach is retired NYC policeman (he may have been a prison guard, not police though), both moved here in last 5 yrs. and I have met over last few yrs other retired NY fire/police so you won't be alone in Union County.
Thanks my old partenr is also moving there.I just wanted to get a bit more info from established retirees.It sounds nice.I am looking to visit in the summer and spend a few days and do some exploring.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:10 PM

161 posts, read 287,042 times
I did recently meet a couple of men that are retired from the Port Authority in NY and they have been in the area since after 9/11.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:04 PM

35,881 posts, read 73,240,427 times
We have had several folks who were at one time NYPD on this forum. One had been here several years (moved here after 9/11) and was planning to move last year to Florida. Don't know if he actually moved or not. But I believe you will find that there are a LOT more folks from LI than you probably would have guessed had moved here. There are also a lot of LI'ers around Lake Norman.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:24 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,854,580 times
If you need to rely on another income, just make sure a job is set up here BEFORE you come. I believe teaching jobs are scarce too.

We have a nice 10-13 club of 200+ members. Meetings are held at a local FOP lodge and it's about 30 minutes from Waxhaw.

ETA; GHI is down here. Although, not many Doctors. Right now there is only two family practices. The one I go to is nice. No problems. They also have "Minute Clinics" in CVS Pharmacy down here. They take GHI. Instead of a Doctor, you see an RN. They can prescribe medications. I find them to be excellent, because they are close and your in and out fast. We use them for colds and allergy problems.

You pay taxes on your pension to the State at the end of the year. You also pay property tax on vehicles every year. That's fine, since property tax is a hell of a lot cheaper than LI.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:39 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,131,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
If you need to rely on another income, just make sure a job is set up here BEFORE you come. I believe teaching jobs are scarce too.

We have a nice 10-13 club of 200+ members. Meetings are held at a local FOP lodge and it's about 30 minutes from Waxhaw.

ETA; GHI is down here. Although, not many Doctors. Right now there is only two family practices. The one I go to is nice. No problems. They also have "Minute Clinics" in CVS Pharmacy down here. They take GHI. Instead of a Doctor, you see an RN. They can prescribe medications. I find them to be excellent, because they are close and your in and out fast. We use them for colds and allergy problems.

You pay taxes on your pension to the State at the end of the year. You also pay property tax on vehicles every year. That's fine, since property tax is a hell of a lot cheaper than LI.
Hi Mikey! Can you DM me with the info on the 2 family practices that take GHI??? Didn't know about the "minute clinics" at CVS. I wonder if the ones in Mooresville dothat?

Inmsmom...lots of retired NYPD down here (DH is one)...he is also a member of the 10-13 club Mikey mentioned. It's true, not too many docs down here take GHI...most have never heard of it...it's more of a NY thing. There's more doctors in the Waxhaw/Ft Mill area that participate than in my area. Hopefully, that will change in the future.

GOOD LUCK!!

Old 01-29-2010, 10:34 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,854,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
Hi Mikey! Can you DM me with the info on the 2 family practices that take GHI??? Didn't know about the "minute clinics" at CVS. I wonder if the ones in Mooresville dothat?

Inmsmom...lots of retired NYPD down here (DH is one)...he is also a member of the 10-13 club Mikey mentioned. It's true, not too many docs down here take GHI...most have never heard of it...it's more of a NY thing. There's more doctors in the Waxhaw/Ft Mill area that participate than in my area. Hopefully, that will change in the future.

GOOD LUCK!!

When I first heard of the Minute Clinics, I remember thinking WTH? You see a Nurse? But, we quickly realized it's great!

I just looked up the Minute Clinic in your area;

CVS/pharmacy #3803
559 River Highway
Mooresville, NC 28115

The Doctor we go to is Dr. Bauer at "Bauer Family Medicine", in Charotte. We can't provide links here, so just put that in google and you can find the website with all the info you need.

His brother is a Chiropractor in the same building, so if your into getting cracked up, your good to go.

The other Doctor I'll have to look up, I don't have the info handy right now.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:02 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,131,920 times
THANKS Mike!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte