Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 07:00 AM

140 posts, read 419,662 times

Advertisements

confused:

Hey All, This is my 1st post and everyones opinions are welcome.
I lived in Raleigh for one year, unfortunately had to move to NJ due to husband's job relocation. We are desperately trying to return to NC, we loved it there, however, the only chance we may have is to go to Charlotte. I don't think it is much different from Raleigh, but everyone I spoke to in Raleigh say they do not care for Charlotte much, too much of a big city, some people say it reminds them of Florida without palm trees, some say it has no chararter. Please help, I say it will be better than NJ by far, (ne beach though). What do you guys think, for those who've been in both places (Raleigh and Charlotte), what are major differences between the two cities becides proximity to 95 and ocean.
Thank you for all your comments in advance, good or bad.

Last edited by nelly76; 11-04-2007 at 07:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 09:15 AM

716 posts, read 2,159,579 times
I lived in both. I also grew up in NJ near the shore...

I was done with Raleigh in about 2 years. I was in my mid-20s at the time, and it really seemed like a college town, and that once you were done with that scene, there wasn't much to do. I needed a bigger city, so I skipped out to Charlotte. It really depends on what you're looking for (and where you're coming from in NJ!) If you like a slightly more laid back atmosphere and are just looking to settle down somewhere quiet and suburban, or you want some space, Raleigh's outlays might be the place for you. I still loved everything about NC, but I needed something a little bigger and faster, so I came to Charlotte.

(And as much as NJ still has a "home" feel to me, as my parents are still there, I don't think I'd ever move back!)

I do feel too far away from the beach here though. But that's probably my only regret. I've substituted with a new love for the mountains!

Old 11-04-2007, 10:16 AM

509 posts, read 1,803,759 times
Charlotte.

Raleigh is not my cup of tea. Even more suburban sprawl than Charlotte. Downtown dead at night, except near NC State. Every time we visit friends in Raleigh we spend more time in the car driving somewhere than actually doing anything.

Blah.

Charlotte has tons of neat, intown neighborhoods, good suburbs if that's what you want/need, and lots to do.

It's far from the beach but close to the mountains!

GT

Old 11-04-2007, 10:39 AM

4 posts, read 9,923 times
Hi

I moved to charlotte from Raleigh recently and personally don't care for charlotte as much. The traffic is crazy. And trust me this is not because its a "big city", on the contrary its because the infrastructure is poor (Its more like a "wannabe city"). I also personally disagree that raleigh has more suburban sprawl than charlotte (Cary is a huge sprawl) but still Raleigh and cary are a lot greener than charlotte. The dearth of green ways in charlotte really surprised me. Charlotte is a landscaping and strip mall mecca (half of it may be due to golf courses- which again I don't care as much for).

Although I think Charlotte may offer a better night life, I do think that the RDU area has a nice underground arts scene to offer.

if you are looking for good job opportunities in finance and banking though, then charlotte is the place to be. That's why I'm here, but honestly don't plan to stick around too long.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:48 AM

125 posts, read 376,412 times
Lived in Raleigh, North (six forks area-during tornado 11/30/88), Youngsville and Rolesville (suburbs of Raleigh). Mom and Sister still there. 3 out of 4 of my children born there, so have very fond memories. Think North Raleigh has expanded out 540 towards Wake Forest/Rolesville. Seems to have better planning on loops than Charlotte right now. Of course, being in Charlotte for the longest period of time, last 7+ years in Wesley Chapel, I like this area too. If I had to choose I guess it would be Charlotte for it's easier access to entertainment, shopping,major sports, cultural events, etc. Think they are just about the same in the Housing Industry but seem to be about maxed out for new developments. Just my opinion.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:01 AM

125 posts, read 376,412 times
Check out this thread, as well as many others on the forum:is any northerns happy that they move to the queen city

Jsut a footnote: Does it grate on anyone elses nerves the grammar "is any", instead of "are any"?-guess that's the x-teacher in me-know I've had typos in my posts too!

Old 11-04-2007, 02:39 PM

876 posts, read 3,794,554 times
Charlotte like FL without the Palm Trees!??!!? I was born and raised in FL, spent 30yrs there. Charlotte is NOTHING like FL at all. People actually wave around here and speak English. I felt like I lived in a 3rd world country in FL.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:20 PM

140 posts, read 419,662 times
Thank you all for your relies.
My family and I loved Raleigh for its neighborhood feel, we had a Halloween parade for kids and Caroling in the streets for Christmas. I loved it for the friendly people who wave to you, hold doors and say thank you. I hope to find the same feel in
Charlotte and surrounding areas. My kids were actually playing on the street, here in NJ (freehold) kids don't play on the street, many established neighborhoods don't have many young kids, and I or anyone in their right mind can afford new construction for 700K to start plus 15-20K in taxes. Thats why young families move to NC where it it nice, friendly and affordable. I cant wait to move back and plant my roots in NC.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:43 PM

237 posts, read 299,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancymom4 View Post
Check out this thread, as well as many others on the forum:is any northerns happy that they move to the queen city

Jsut a footnote: Does it grate on anyone elses nerves the grammar "is any", instead of "are any"?-guess that's the x-teacher in me-know I've had typos in my posts too!

If that s the only thing grating you then you aint picky enough. This is red pencil's paradise.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:48 PM

431 posts, read 1,669,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly76 View Post
confused:

Hey All, This is my 1st post and everyones opinions are welcome.
I lived in Raleigh for one year, unfortunately had to move to NJ due to husband's job relocation. We are desperately trying to return to NC, we loved it there, however, the only chance we may have is to go to Charlotte. I don't think it is much different from Raleigh, but everyone I spoke to in Raleigh say they do not care for Charlotte much, too much of a big city, some people say it reminds them of Florida without palm trees, some say it has no chararter. Please help, I say it will be better than NJ by far, (ne beach though). What do you guys think, for those who've been in both places (Raleigh and Charlotte), what are major differences between the two cities becides proximity to 95 and ocean.
Thank you for all your comments in advance, good or bad.
I have 5 Palms in my yard.....so take that some people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte