U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:40 PM

9 posts, read 17,394 times

Advertisements

I'll be relocating to the Charlotte area soon, and need advice on finding a good area to set up camp for a while. I'm an outdoors enthusiast, and prefer to stay away from cities. I'm seeking a small cabin or house/apt in remote location that will do the job. I'll be working in Gastonia, and I've been told that south Charlotte is a good place to be (some out of the way places which are not claimed by rebel-types). Coming in from Hunt Valley, MD.

Single guy, no wife and kids, looking at a studio/loft/1BR/guesthouse/cabin -type scenario. I don't do bars and clubs and am just looking for a quiet place to settle in. The more natural wildlife the better. Close to river/lake/water would be great, too.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

-lb
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 12:10 AM

45,245 posts, read 95,816,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longboarder View Post
I'll be relocating to the Charlotte area soon, and need advice on finding a good area to set up camp for a while. I'm an outdoors enthusiast, and prefer to stay away from cities. I'm seeking a small cabin or house/apt in remote location that will do the job. I'll be working in Gastonia, and I've been told that south Charlotte is a good place to be (some out of the way places which are not claimed by rebel-types). Coming in from Hunt Valley, MD.

Single guy, no wife and kids, looking at a studio/loft/1BR/guesthouse/cabin -type scenario. I don't do bars and clubs and am just looking for a quiet place to settle in. The more natural wildlife the better. Close to river/lake/water would be great, too.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

-lb
Well, from your description you shouldn't plan to live in Charlotte at all - you will not find what you are looking for, especially in south Charlotte.

Since you will be working in Gastonia I would recommend you go further west out toward King's Mountain to find a more rural setting. You should also look north of Gastonia into Lincoln county. Not so sure you are going to find any cabins, but you will find a more quiet lifestyle.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:02 AM

23,806 posts, read 31,909,443 times
Quote:

Any advice apprueciated.

Thanks,

-lb
Look in south Gastonia, but that has a suburban feel to it. The Crowder's Mountain area of Gastonia is nice, with a more rural feel.

Kings Montain is just west, in Gaston & Cleveland Counties. If you want rural, keep outside the city limits. Cleveland County taxes are lower.

Lincoln County has the lowest taxes of the 3 counties. You might find something there.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:28 AM

4,010 posts, read 9,644,137 times
You are not going to find any out of the way cabins where you can setup camp in South Charlotte. That is the land of the SUV & minivan, big box retail and the McMansion and McMansion wana-bes. If you are working in Gastonia, then I suggest you head in the other direction.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

-lb

How far are you willing to drive & what's your budget? Are you looking for a large piece of land? If so, how large?

There are lots of apartments in Kings Mountain, within & outside the city limits. There are other communities beyond Kings Mountain, but without knowing how far you want to go, I hesitate to mention them.

Where are you moving from? That might help us to help you.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:11 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,081,713 times
Across the border in South Carolina may be another option. You would just take 321 into Gastonia.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
How far are you willing to drive & what's your budget? Are you looking for a large piece of land? If so, how large?

There are lots of apartments in Kings Mountain, within & outside the city limits. There are other communities beyond Kings Mountain, but without knowing how far you want to go, I hesitate to mention them.

Where are you moving from? That might help us to help you.
I just realized that you said you are currently in Hunt Valley. I used to work near there, in Owings Mills. Hunt Valley isn't exactly the wilderness, so besides driving distance, how rural do you really want?

Pjease give more detail. Depending on your answers, I may be able to toss out more communities to check out.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:54 AM

9 posts, read 17,394 times
Default re:relocation

First off, thanks for the quick replies and suggestions.

After some investigation, I may look for something really North....perhaps as far as Blowing Rock/Boone (for a whopping 77-mile commute). Is that do-able, or am I just crazy? I have been checking out places like Mountain View, North Lakes, Granite Falls and Northlakes, but can't seem to track down much in the way of rentals on Craigslist. How is the commute heading south on 321 in the morning?

I'd like to keep my monthly budget for a 1BR/Studio/Guest house under $700 if possible. I'm not interested in trailer living (seem to be an awful lot of double-wides advertised between Mountain View and Boone.) I like to take classes on pretty much anything in my spare time, and I was thinking about applying at Appalachian State University to pursue another degree. (NCU@Charlotte doesn't have any programs that fit my bill.)

I really enjoy the outdoors...hiking, camping, fishing, kayaking, diving, off-roading, you name it. BUT I would still like to get out and meet people my own age (30's). I'm non-political and non-religious.
I've lived all over the country...moving from Hunt Valley, MD. I hate Baltimore, D.C., and large cities in general. Cost of living out here has gotten ridiculous, sooo relocating..starting over. NC seems like a good fit.

Thanks again,

-lb

Old 02-10-2010, 05:19 AM

4,010 posts, read 9,644,137 times
Quote:
.... Is that do-able, or am I just crazy?....
No it is not do-able. Forgetting even the distance, there will be days when it won't be possible to get out or into the mountains until the NCDOT plows the roads. When the weather is good, it's easily a 2 hour drive to Blowing Rock or Boone.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
First off, thanks for the quick replies and suggestions.

After some investigation, I may look for something really North....perhaps as far as Blowing Rock/Boone (for a whopping 77-mile commute). Is that do-able, or am I just crazy? I have been checking out places like Mountain View, North Lakes, Granite Falls and Northlakes, but can't seem to track down much in the way of rentals on Craigslist. How is the commute heading south on 321 in the morning?

I'd like to keep my monthly budget for a 1BR/Studio/Guest house under $700 if possible. I'm not interested in trailer living (seem to be an awful lot of double-wides advertised between Mountain View and Boone.) I like to take classes on pretty much anything in my spare time, and I was thinking about applying at Appalachian State University to pursue another degree. (NCU@Charlotte doesn't have any programs that fit my bill.)

I really enjoy the outdoors...hiking, camping, fishing, kayaking, diving, off-roading, you name it. BUT I would still like to get out and meet people my own age (30's). I'm non-political and non-religious.
I've lived all over the country...moving from Hunt Valley, MD. I hate Baltimore, D.C., and large cities in general. Cost of living out here has gotten ridiculous, sooo relocating..starting over. NC seems like a good fit.

Thanks again,

-lb
East Carolina University is advertising online degree programs. Check them.

Also check Gardner-Webb in Boiling Springs. That is a doable commute if you live west of Gastonia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte