Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 08:00 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Did you ever move to Charlotte or do you still live out of state?
Seriously? Ive lived in Charlotte for 3 1/2 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 08:08 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
But she's traveling on off hours, and really not the full 30 miles if she works in Huntersville or the north side. If she's working night shift she would miss rush hour both ways. I made the commute, in the opposite direction, and very rarely had issues with traffic.

Aside from that, I have not heard many good things about LNRMC (from either colleagues or patients), so that would mean driving to Statesville for work. Seems about like 6 of one...to me.
Traffic on I77 is heavy all day long, not just at rush hours I agree she could look to work at the hospital in Huntersville and have a better commuter than going all the way into uptown Charlotte from Mooresville.

I think she may actually want to consider living in Huntersville so her husband could commute to Mooresville and she'd be closer to the hospitals.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:14 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
The Mooresville to Charlotte commute is certainly not a 20 minute dash, but it's not bad to a seasoned commuter.

Having commuted for years in the northern NJ and Northern VA corridors, I chuckle when people call the commute to Charlotte horrendous.

And traveling in off hours is no problem at all. The only non-rush hour issues I've seen are the occasional accident that ties up traffic AND the back-ups on I-77 crossing the lake around Exit 30 on weekend afternoons in the summer.
Truthfully Stripes, this is the kind of attitude that frustrates natives and long-timers here like me .

Just because traffic here is "not as bad" as where you came from in the more crowded northeast does not mean it's good. And your attitude of "just join right in - it's no big deal" encourages people to make the problem worse by being yet one more vehicle on the roads that are already too overcrowded.

If all the newcomers joining us here would just try to live closest to where they work we'd all be a lot better off. Current traffic is not acceptable to me and I don't appreciate you encouraging people to contribute to it. No offense intended .

Old 02-10-2010, 08:20 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Indeed. I just made this drive this evening at arriving back in Huntersville at 7:15p and thank the stars I don't have to make it every day. I don't think it would be much better 45 minutes later at 8p. It's a long miserable drive that isn't getting any better and the NCDOT has no plans to do further work on I-77 anytime soon. The commuter train that is supposed to help remains nothing more than ink on paper that I don't think will never see the light of day.

I agree with love's statements on the the comparisons to other cities by those who have moved here. As I said in my first post, the grueling drive is in the eyes of the beholder, but just because others had less sense than I to live in places where it is worse, doesn't mean I am going to enjoy it here. Chuckle if you like but there is a reason I don't live in Northern VA so the comparison is irrelevant. My sister lives in Tokyo which would make DC look like Bugtussle, but to bring that up would also be pointless.

In any case, the OP asked about how the drive is here in Charlotte. I offered up my opinion of it.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:41 AM

14 posts, read 28,395 times
Thanks for all of the advice. My husband and I were thinking of moving to Huntersville, Cornelius, or Davidson. Those 3 towns by my preliminary research seem to be a better fit for us than Mooresville. I do not anticipate landing a job for the first few months we are there. Once I find a job (hopefully not in Charlotte) and we get to know the area we will look at buying a house. I do agree that the commute does not sound wonderful, but if I have to do it, I suppose I will. Is the commute to the university area just as bad? Would my husband have an okay commute to Mooresville?

Old 02-11-2010, 07:10 AM

34 posts, read 67,763 times
Hi,

My wife and I had a similar choice last week. A little history though first. We grew up in Ann Arbor and then moved to Winston-Salem for two years while I was in Grad School. From there we worked in Columbus, OH and are now being relocated back to Charlotte. I am going to be working in Mooresville 3-4 days a week and my wife is a NICU RN.

We originally looked in the Mooresville area, but found it was not for us. It lacked walkability and had to many strip malls. The actual downtown area was very small. The lake was nice, but we found most people don't actually live on the lake. In addition getting from the lake to the freeway can take a long time. So we considered all the communities along I-77, but ultimately decided to focus on South Charlotte close to downtown(uptown). The main reason for this is; availability of work for my wife, recreation(cycling) opportunities, walkability, and we actually want to live in the city. The final consideration was my drive to work. From where we live it is going to be 26 miles to my work in Mooresville on I-77 going north in the am and south in the pm. I have been told this is opposite traffic which I hope is the truth.

Good luck looking for a home and also to your husband.

-Chris-

Old 02-11-2010, 09:32 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPSF View Post
.....From where we live it is going to be 26 miles to my work in Mooresville on I-77 going north in the am and south in the pm. I have been told this is opposite traffic which I hope is the truth.

Good luck looking for a home and also to your husband.

-Chris-
It will be a hellacious drive and anyone who would suggest this is going to be an easy drive either doesn't know it, or had a vested interest in getting you to locate where you did. I-77 is clogged in both directions these days given the Lowes HQ and the Nascar related employment that attracts Charlotte residents. There are plenty of people such as yourself who have decided to make this "reverse" commute these days. It's not reverse anymore. Beyond I-485 (north), the highway drops to 2 lanes in each direction which is completely overloaded and is subject to a lot of backup in both directions. It's even worse in the summer when drivers slow down to gawk at people on their boats on the lake. In addition, there are no effective alternative routes. When an accident occurs you can be stuck on the highway for hours if it happens in the wrong spot.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:00 AM

34 posts, read 67,763 times
Lumbollo,

I believe you, as I've been in that traffic. Traffic will be hell I am sure on some days. Everything considered though downtown Charlotte is best for us.

Later,

-Chris-

Old 02-11-2010, 05:45 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Not really. First, CHS alone has over 150 RN positions listed, system wide. There is pretty decent demand for MLP's (Mid-level practioners), but not so much for CRNAs. Quite frankly, as long as you are not a new graduate, I dont see that you'd have too terrible a time finding work in either Iredell county or Mecklenburg County.
There are many positions for CRNAs and almost as many for APRNs (I detest the term mid-level practitioner) But this person is an RN as far as we are aware and right now, those positions are still tight, regardless of what you may have seen. Many of those postings are months old.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:59 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
There are many positions for CRNAs and almost as many for APRNs (I detest the term mid-level practitioner) But this person is an RN as far as we are aware and right now, those positions are still tight, regardless of what you may have seen. Many of those postings are months old.
Wrong! Positions are removed from CHS' internal website as soon as they are filled. I was logged in, and looked at actual positions for RNs. There was well over 100. There were less than 10 CRNA slots, and about 50 MLP slots. Of course, seems there is no shortage of people who contradict everything I say, so I'm really not surprised!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte