Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2007, 05:12 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,912 times

Advertisements

I have always had the benefit of living in areas with GREAT library systems....until now We moved to Indian Trail in March and I got around to visiting the Indian Trail branch of the library to get my card a few weeks ago. I was surprised at how TINY the library was....there are seriously *8* library stacks for adult fiction AND non-fiction. So we decided to try the Monroe branch of the library. It is much larger and has a much better selection of books, although I did note that about half the books are really old.....25-30 years+.

So I get to the check out counter and the person checking me out says "you have too many books from one subject". I am like huh? She says "you are only allowed to check out FOUR books from one subject area". So I am looking at my stack of books.....4 of them are about health.....4 of them are about finances....and 1 of them is about adoption. How that qualifies as being "the same subject" is beyond me but I had to put 6 of my books back! (and yes, there was a sign nearby that states no more than 4 books per subject can be checked out).

We visited the Matthews branch of the Meck Library System but it would cost us $45 per year to join and get a library card there. I am seriously considering it I can't say I have ever lived anywhere where I had to pay to check out library books, but I guess I can see their point since I am a Union County resident and not a Meck County resident.

So if you live in Meck county....do you like your library system? Which is the best/largest library in Meck Co.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 05:14 PM

95 posts, read 101,388 times
I think that unfortunately libraries are going the way of the dinosaur. Meck Co had pretty good libraries when I was growing up.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:25 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,349 times
Sorry about your disappointment. I know of several Union County families that feel the $45/year membership is well worth the small investment. Go for it!

We have library cards, and I've had multiple pleasant experiences with the branch in Monroe. But, when it comes down to it, I was limited to my local library as a child, but the options for my children are unlimited (thanks to the Internet).

For the record, we've also participated in five or six great classes/events at the Monroe library. And the staff is always pleasant.

I've also heard good things about The Book Lady on 74 in Monroe. I hear she has lots of choices at low prices.

Personally, I'm an avid book reader but I love to own my books. There's always Amazon, which usually has new and used selections.

SL

Old 05-29-2007, 05:35 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
We pay. Thankfully I got in when you could pay $100 for a lifetime membership. That is now gone.

BUT, here is what DH said to me and I view things differently now.

He said, "Well, look at it this way, you can either pay $45 a year to join the Meck library system or we can move to Meck and pay an additional $1,000 a year for property tax!"

Put that way, it is a bargain!

Dawn

Old 05-29-2007, 05:49 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
We pay. Thankfully I got in when you could pay $100 for a lifetime membership. That is now gone.

BUT, here is what DH said to me and I view things differently now.

He said, "Well, look at it this way, you can either pay $45 a year to join the Meck library system or we can move to Meck and pay an additional $1,000 a year for property tax!"

Put that way, it is a bargain!

Dawn
LOL!!! So true!

Old 05-30-2007, 06:34 AM

525 posts, read 1,804,595 times
if it was free...then think how many ppl would utilize it and the actual residents who do pay taxes taht go to that would be shortchanged. You choose to live here and that is one of the things if it is important you have to think about. I don't mind the local library branch in IT. I moved from several small towns and it is at least new and up to date.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:57 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,593 times
I also go to the one in Indian Trail. It is pretty weak, but I deal with it. My neighbors do pay the money to get a membership for Matthews. I think it's worth it if the issue bothers you so much.

I've read a few times that a new library was to be opened in Weddington. I'm holding out for that.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:49 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,321,931 times
Default Laps for the Library fundraiser - June 2

//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...on-wesley.html

If you REALLY want to bring a better library to the area, consider being a part of the solution. Join the fundraising by participating in the "Laps for the Library" walk-a-thon on Saturday, June 2, from 10 AM-4 PM at Weddington High School.

Imagine, if everyone who "wished for a better library" just contributed $20...imagine...
Imagine your company would match your donation...imagine....
For only a $10,000 donation, you could even get "naming rights!"

Old 05-30-2007, 07:57 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...on-wesley.html

If you REALLY want to bring a better library to the area, consider being a part of the solution. Join the fundraising by participating in the "Laps for the Library" walk-a-thon on Saturday, June 2, from 10 AM-4 PM at Weddington High School.

Imagine, if everyone who "wished for a better library" just contributed $20...imagine...
Imagine your company would match your donation...imagine....
For only a $10,000 donation, you could even get "naming rights!"
Thanks for that info, Marvinnative! I didn't know that was going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte