Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 03:32 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,834,423 times

Advertisements

Different strokes for different folks

People I know with businesses like this don't do it as a marketing ploy AT ALL.

They are sincere in their belief that they should proclaim the Good News everywhere they go. For them, the mention of their faith means they are standing up for God, that's all.

And when someone who sees it occasionally wants to know more they are ready to share - but they aren't preachers, they don't preach sermons or try to save everyone they meet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 03:38 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,581,408 times
There nothing wrong with people having frogs they possibly have frogs around like Pookie (my sweetheart)
because of the religious symbol
Why it so bad if you dont like then dont go there

Old 02-13-2010, 04:31 PM

23 posts, read 34,593 times
You all are too funny!! Made me laugh :-)

Old 02-13-2010, 07:13 PM

701 posts, read 1,431,094 times
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it."
Andre Gide

Old 02-13-2010, 09:13 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,579,559 times
I dont have a problem with business owners advertising their beliefs in some way, except when it might spill over and affect employee rights. That is why I would advise my clients to stay "religion neutral." If it is a sole proprietorship or a company where only family members work, then no one else is affected. But you get on a slippery slope when you bring any type of "expectation" into the mix if employees are affected/involved.

Religious beliefs already affect businesses more than folks may realize unless they have been on the human resources/operations end of management. For ex., some folks can't work on Saturdays. Now how do you handle that upfront with an employee who is expected to work on Saturdays? And is that fair to other employees to hire someone who never has to pull Saturday duty? And what about folks who need to take time out of the day to worship/pray? How do you integrate that into what is fair with break time for everyone in the company? So religious beliefs have to be very thoughtfully approached (and respected).

The place where we should all be concerned about remaining "religion neutral" is with the laws of the land. There is supposed to be a separation between church and state in this country. I think we sometimes get it mixed up as far as what is moral and what is a dictate or tenet of a particular religion or particular branch of a religion. One can be moral and not be religious. :-)

But back to folks who enjoy professing their faith in a public way. I am just not going to judge that unless it affects employees in some potentially adverse manner.

I base my judgment about a business's reputation solely on performance. But if they wish to have their public "persona" be based on a religious affiliation, I surely am not going to reject them b/c of that, either, or assume they are "using" their religious affiliation to hide behind.

And let's face it: many folks like dealing with others who share their general beliefs, something that is very common in smaller towns all across the country (not just the South). By that I mean - it could be something as simple as knowing a person is a big supporter of high school sports, if that is dear to your heart, or that someone is a regular volunteer with Habitat for Humanity. All these things become our public persona and for a small business - part of their business promotion. One should not assume that this is done just for "marketing" reasons . . . but neither should one assume that a person who has an Ichthus on their car is the best person for the job, lol!

Doing business w/ someone you know shares your religious belief can be comforting to a lot of folks - just as it can create skepticism for others.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:44 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,222,809 times
I wouldn't do business with a business where the owner says that has to get business advice from his god in order to figure out how to operate the business and treat customers.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:15 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,534,852 times
Loves,

I appreciate you posting this link.
And I also agree with you. I prefer and do seek businesses
not only who are reputable and come recommended but also those
who are not afraid to speak publicly of their faith and beliefs.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:18 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,534,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
I think it's exploitation of faith for monetary gain. That's not a very Christian thing in my eyes. If you're comfortable in your faith, it shouldn't be plastered everywhere. It's like those "happy couples" that send out pictures of themselves to everyone, validating their relationship. If it's so special to you, what do you have to prove?

Of course claiming publicly your faith is a very Christian thing to do. If one didn't, people of your mindset would say why don't you discuss it, are you ashamed?

Us Christians are NOT ashamed!!!

As far as the couples sending out pictures...perhaps they have trodded a long road and these friends have stood with them and they would like to share that they are doing well and the storms have calmed.

There is positive in everything and not even try to see it only sets one up for failure.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:28 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,326,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Loves,

I appreciate you posting this link.
And I also agree with you. I prefer and do seek businesses
not only who are reputable and come recommended but also those
who are not afraid to speak publicly of their faith and beliefs.
+1

How refreshing and encouraging that a business owner doesn't just want your money, but feels the need to share the Good News.
If you don't like his message, then you are free to not use his services, it is not that complicated.

And this is far from a Christian thing.
The Charlotte Jewish community is very tight knit where people who worship at the Temple together do business together.
Same for the Charlotte Greek community.
Nothing wrong with this, IMHO.

[mod cut]

Last edited by mrstewart; 02-14-2010 at 02:54 PM..

Old 02-14-2010, 06:36 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,438,298 times
Not everyone living in NC is Christian. While I respect everyone's belief and their right to run their businesses as they see fit, I avoid the religious hyperbole like the plague.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte