Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 07:03 PM

14 posts, read 28,395 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband, son, and I will be flying from Michigan to Charlotte next week for a job interview. We have never been to North Carolina before. We will be staying in Mooresville in a hotel, as this is where the company headquarters is located. This company actually sought my husband out and is flying us there for a formal interview and for us to see the area. We will only be there from Tuesday evening to Friday morning, but we will have a rental car. We have decided that if my husband takes the job, that we would probably look for an apartment in the Davidson, Cornelius, or Huntersville area to live in for a few months. Finding a midway location between Charlotte and Mooresville would give me the widest area of hospitals to hopefully find employment at.

If my husband gets the job offer we will probably be basing our decision on the job itself and the 3 days we have spent in the area. Would any of you be willing to share some places we should tour/visit/drive through/etc. so we can experience as much as possible during our very short visit?

So far my short list would be to at least drive through the 3 towns I mentioned, drive through UNCC campus, and drive past Presbyterian and CMC.

We are young thirties with a one year old son. My husband is Jewish and I am a non-practicing Lutheran.

Thanks for any tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 07:16 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
You will probably want to be looking at Huntersville Presbyterian Hospital, Lake Norman Regional Hospital in Mooresville, Davis Regional and Iredell Regional hospitals in Statesville. CMC and Presbytarian will be an unpleasant and long daily drive from Lake Norman. Another possible option would be CMC in Concord. I believe it is now called Northeast Medical or something such as that.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:19 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganRN View Post
Hi,
My husband, son, and I will be flying from Michigan to Charlotte next week for a job interview. We have never been to North Carolina before. We will be staying in Mooresville in a hotel, as this is where the company headquarters is located. This company actually sought my husband out and is flying us there for a formal interview and for us to see the area. We will only be there from Tuesday evening to Friday morning, but we will have a rental car. We have decided that if my husband takes the job, that we would probably look for an apartment in the Davidson, Cornelius, or Huntersville area to live in for a few months. Finding a midway location between Charlotte and Mooresville would give me the widest area of hospitals to hopefully find employment at.

If my husband gets the job offer we will probably be basing our decision on the job itself and the 3 days we have spent in the area. Would any of you be willing to share some places we should tour/visit/drive through/etc. so we can experience as much as possible during our very short visit?

So far my short list would be to at least drive through the 3 towns I mentioned, drive through UNCC campus, and drive past Presbyterian and CMC.

We are young thirties with a one year old son. My husband is Jewish and I am a non-practicing Lutheran.

Thanks for any tips.
A couple of weeks ago there was a thread where someone was looking for a job in a hospital. The most openings were at this hospital in Gastonia. CaroMont Health

Old 02-10-2010, 06:50 PM

14 posts, read 28,395 times
Why would it be an awful drive? It looks like it is only 20 miles or so. I assume that daytime traffic into the city would be awful, but what about traveling into the city around 6pm and leaving around 8 am after working a night shift? Would that make it manageable? I just want to keep as many options open as possible. From what I understand it is even difficult to find a nursing job in the area right now and there never really was a shortage to being with.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Why would it be an awful drive? It looks like it is only 20 miles or so.
I suppose this is in the eyes of the beholder or rather driver in this case. You are correct about the distance. I live in Huntersville and I have known numerous people over the years who tried to work in those hospitals and the long drive eventually meant they quit or moved into Charlotte. I wouldn't want to do it.

The nursing industry in Charlotte is tough at the moment especially on the lower end. If you have an advanced degree and are licensed as a nurse practitioner, nurse anaesthetist or similar, there is a lot of demand for that.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:01 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Why would it be an awful drive? It looks like it is only 20 miles or so. I assume that daytime traffic into the city would be awful, but what about traveling into the city around 6pm and leaving around 8 am after working a night shift? Would that make it manageable? I just want to keep as many options open as possible. From what I understand it is even difficult to find a nursing job in the area right now and there never really was a shortage to being with.
hahaha - looks can be deceiving on paper, lol.

That 30 miles is so bottle-necked and overcrowded you couldn't pay me to make the daily trip.The interstate there is woefully inadequate and not due to be widened for years. If I had a job in Mooresville I'd live in Moorseville and save going down to Charlotte for nights out or special occasions.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:09 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
I suppose this is in the eyes of the beholder or rather driver in this case. You are correct about the distance. I live in Huntersville and I have known numerous people over the years who tried to work in those hospitals and the long drive eventually meant they quit or moved into Charlotte. I wouldn't want to do it.

The nursing industry in Charlotte is tough at the moment especially on the lower end. If you have an advanced degree and are licensed as a nurse practitioner, nurse anaesthetist or similar, there is a lot of demand for that.
Not really. First, CHS alone has over 150 RN positions listed, system wide. There is pretty decent demand for MLP's (Mid-level practioners), but not so much for CRNAs. Quite frankly, as long as you are not a new graduate, I dont see that you'd have too terrible a time finding work in either Iredell county or Mecklenburg County.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:14 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
The Mooresville to Charlotte commute is certainly not a 20 minute dash, but it's not bad to a seasoned commuter.

Having commuted for years in the northern NJ and Northern VA corridors, I chuckle when people call the commute to Charlotte horrendous.

And traveling in off hours is no problem at all. The only non-rush hour issues I've seen are the occasional accident that ties up traffic AND the back-ups on I-77 crossing the lake around Exit 30 on weekend afternoons in the summer.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:17 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
hahaha - looks can be deceiving on paper, lol.

That 30 miles is so bottle-necked and overcrowded you couldn't pay me to make the daily trip.The interstate there is woefully inadequate and not due to be widened for years. If I had a job in Mooresville I'd live in Moorseville and save going down to Charlotte for nights out or special occasions.
But she's traveling on off hours, and really not the full 30 miles if she works in Huntersville or the north side. If she's working night shift she would miss rush hour both ways. I made the commute, in the opposite direction, and very rarely had issues with traffic.

Aside from that, I have not heard many good things about LNRMC (from either colleagues or patients), so that would mean driving to Statesville for work. Seems about like 6 of one...to me.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
But she's traveling on off hours, and really not the full 30 miles if she works in Huntersville or the north side. If she's working night shift she would miss rush hour both ways. ....
Did you ever move to Charlotte or do you still live out of state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte