Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 07:31 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,432,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBOUND123 View Post
I love your answer. My plan is to spend a few days in Charlotte when I visit in August. I guess the only way to find out what a place is really like is to visit and see how impacts me.

Thank you all for your responses.
September is a better time to visit. It's usually only 93 instead of 99 degrees outside and there is the monthlong arts celebration www.charlotteshout.com (broken link) plus if you like sports the Panthers season will be starting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 08:11 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,735,425 times
I haven't relocated yet, but I am looking in the Charlotte area due to the price of flights home. I am moving by myself and want easy access to an airport with affordable flights to MI. The Raleigh airport was higher (although I just checked again and they are now equal. I hate air fare!).
I am confused, however, as to why there are virtually no direct flights to Detroit! You have to lay over in Atlanta or once in a while Chicago.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:49 PM

I grew up in Detroit. There are plenty of direct flights on US Air and NWA from Charlotte and Greensboro as I have taken plenty of them. US Air also has weekly esavers and Charlotte to DTW often comes up.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:06 PM

112 posts, read 259,725 times
Cool Charlotte!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mags View Post
Just drive to the city of Charlotte and see for yourself. Charlotte is becoming something very special and I cannot say the same for Raleigh.
This quote almost says it all. Charlotte has that .......Sparkle... that alot of people are looking for and when you put both cities next to each other. they Charlotte is the hands down winner. (To Me) The triangle area seems soo run down and lacking, where Charlotte is clean, vibrant, friendly, and located perfectly. Inland enough from any MAJOR damage from a hurricane and tucked nicely behind the mountains as to not get any SERIOUSLY harsh winters. And to to mention ////NASCAR

Old 05-31-2007, 12:45 AM

199 posts, read 958,522 times
I choose Charlotte over the triangle cities b/c the airport is bigger and offers more flights to more destinations. Also, the CLT airport has many direct flights to Europe, for example daily flights to Munich, Germany.

Other than that, I would have preferred to live in Chapel Hill.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:28 AM

13 posts, read 50,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBOUND123 View Post
Before I ask, trust that I already know that this is a loaded question, but I'll ask anyway. If you were fortunate enough to live in either/or and investigated both, what were "your" reasons for choosing Charlotte over the triangle cities such as Durham,Raleigh,Chapel Hill,Cary, Wake Forest, etc...
WE WERE FIRST LOOKING IN RALEIGH AREA BUT UNION COUNTY HAD BETTER SCHOOLS.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:45 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,293,986 times
Thumbs up Both are great places to live

I don’t think you can go wrong between the two. I live in Raleigh but go to Charlotte often to visit with friends. I think deciding which place is best for you depends largely on what you do for a living and where you will find the most employment opportunities in your field. I am in Raleigh because I have better employment opportunities here in my field. I think Charlotte has more to do in their downtown area, but I like the Triangle in that I have access to Downtown Raleigh, Downtown Durham, and the Chapel Hill Area. Both Charlotte and Raleigh have their fair share of suburban sprawl too.

Don’t even try to make sense of people’s opinions on schools. In my experience people in Union County and Wake County are all convinced that their schools are the best. It seems impossible to get an unbiased opinion on the matter. You will just have to see for yourself and make your own decision on that one.

If I were you I would definitely check out both areas and see which one feels right for you. Good Luck!

Old 05-31-2007, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgballer View Post
I choose Charlotte over the triangle cities b/c the airport is bigger and offers more flights to more destinations. Also, the CLT airport has many direct flights to Europe, for example daily flights to Munich, Germany.

Other than that, I would have preferred to live in Chapel Hill.
But we don't have Southwest

Old 05-31-2007, 11:26 AM

122 posts, read 488,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tothehilt View Post
This quote almost says it all. Charlotte has that .......Sparkle... that alot of people are looking for and when you put both cities next to each other. they Charlotte is the hands down winner. (To Me) The triangle area seems soo run down and lacking, where Charlotte is clean, vibrant, friendly, and located perfectly. Inland enough from any MAJOR damage from a hurricane and tucked nicely behind the mountains as to not get any SERIOUSLY harsh winters. And to to mention ////NASCAR
Being far enough away from massive hurricanes is a major consideration. That is the kinda answer I'll remember when making my final decision.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:30 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,833,084 times
We left Wake County (Apex) because of our dissatisfaction with the schools. We are in Union County (south of Charlotte) now and are much happier.

The school system alone would keep me from moving to Raleigh. Their school system is a real mess right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte