Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-19-2010, 02:38 PM
 
748 posts, read 1,764,264 times
Reputation: 406

Advertisements

As soon as our home sells, we're moving, even if I haven't found a job.
Scary, I know. My wife has disability income coming in, so it's enough to live on until I find something.

We were actually set on moving to Austin, TX, because their economy is doing relatively well and I figured I'd have more opportunities there.

But I've spent all week researching NC, Charlotte specifically, and we really want to live there.

The one thing I do see is that NC seems to have allot more manufacturing going on than Austin. There are so many engineering and IT jobs posted.
But I still wonder if I'd have a better chance of finding something sooner in Austin.

Or do we come to Charlotte and just wait?

Someone please give me all the answers. LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-19-2010, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
10,728 posts, read 22,730,311 times
Reputation: 12318
Manufacturing tanked in NC long ago.

NC is something like 7th in Unemployment right now, so don't say you haven't been warned. I think Texas is 32nd, so there's definitely more "going on" there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2010, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,218 posts, read 100,338,735 times
Reputation: 40194
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobosCurse View Post
As soon as our home sells, we're moving, even if I haven't found a job.
Scary, I know. My wife has disability income coming in, so it's enough to live on until I find something.

We were actually set on moving to Austin, TX, because their economy is doing relatively well and I figured I'd have more opportunities there.

But I've spent all week researching NC, Charlotte specifically, and we really want to live there.

The one thing I do see is that NC seems to have allot more manufacturing going on than Austin. There are so many engineering and IT jobs posted.
But I still wonder if I'd have a better chance of finding something sooner in Austin.

Or do we come to Charlotte and just wait?

Someone please give me all the answers. LOL!
OHMYGOD, DON'T FALL FOR ALL THE THINGS YOU SEE LISTED THAT MAKE IT LOOK LIKE WE HAVE A LOT OF JOBS HERE - ESPECIALLY IT JOBS!!!

This is not true!

Honestly, especially if you need an IT job I would tell you to wait at least another 2 years before coming to Charlotte. Things are grim here, really grim.

If you think you can live on your wife's disability payment alone for at least 18 months then give it a shot, but I wouldn't advise it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2010, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Huntersville
1,852 posts, read 5,196,567 times
Reputation: 526
Actually I think it's a little less grim that Loves makes it out to be. I do know places are hiring. Don't get me wrong it is rough out there, but there are jobs to be had. But you will be competing with many others. I would wait if you could, but I understand, if you sell your house and need to get out. Austin is probably doing a little better than Charlotte, but they are a Dell community and Dell is hurting right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2010, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,218 posts, read 100,338,735 times
Reputation: 40194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
Actually I think it's a little less grim that Loves makes it out to be. I do know places are hiring. Don't get me wrong it is rough out there, but there are jobs to be had. But you will be competing with many others. I would wait if you could, but I understand, if you sell your house and need to get out. Austin is probably doing a little better than Charlotte, but they are a Dell community and Dell is hurting right now.
Please do list some of these places really truly hiring

All we are experiencing is companies advertizing that have no intention of truly hiriing from the outside. They either have internal candidates they already plan to hire but are required to advertize first, or they are building their bank of contacts for the future IN CASE they actually decide to start hiring again. Plenty of recruiters are playing this game too - they want you in their data base and act like they have a potential job to submit you for, but when you press them you find out they really don't.

I repeat my statement - it is indeed very grim in Charlotte and NC right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2010, 05:50 PM
 
1,177 posts, read 2,229,257 times
Reputation: 1142
BobosCurse, you are making a huge mistake... Things may have picked up a little, but it hasn't translated into reduced unemployment in the Charlotte area. It is going to take a long time for Charlotte's ~12% unemployment to significantly decline. This recovery is going to be a long, slow process and many people are going to be without a job for quite a while. Please, do not make this mistake!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2010, 06:23 PM
 
4,010 posts, read 10,164,001 times
Reputation: 1600
Industry is not hiring in Charlotte. The only places making noise about having jobs are those getting big government payouts and even that isn't a guarantee. Case in point is GMAC. There was a big bunch of hoopla about them setting up a HQ here last year, they got millions from the state and city, and this year they are laying off hundreds.

You best be heading to Austin because Charlotte is a no go. You also have the other advantage of the Texas state government being located there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2010, 10:59 PM
 
748 posts, read 1,764,264 times
Reputation: 406
Well that's sad. What a crappy time to be alive. We are in our 40's and are supposed to be happy and stable. Instead we're just miserable and hopeless, like so many other millions.

I had hoped that NC could be something we could look forward to. Sounds like it isn't.

My wife's career was incredible. Then a blood vessel in her brain popped, and that was the end of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2010, 11:02 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,218 posts, read 100,338,735 times
Reputation: 40194
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobosCurse View Post
Well that's sad. What a crappy time to be alive. We are in our 40's and are supposed to be happy and stable. Instead we're just miserable and hopeless, like so many other millions.

I had hoped that NC could be something we could look forward to. Sounds like it isn't.

My wife's career was incredible. Then a blood vessel in her brain popped, and that was the end of that.

Awwww Bobo, I'm sorry we sound so discouraging Like I said earlier, if you can make it on her disability at least a year or two you might be able to wait this economy out until things improve for us all. It definitely sucks to be struggling so much, and I am so hoping for some light at the end of the tunnel myself soon. If you want to continue pursuing your hopes to come here let us know what you think you can afford and we can make some suggestions on places to look for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2010, 04:34 PM
 
Location: Huntersville
1,852 posts, read 5,196,567 times
Reputation: 526
Well, I know of several friends getting jobs.. I also know my company, in my dept alone has hired several people from the outside. They are out there, but they are tough to find. It depends on the industry. MFG would be tough. I also was asked to find two people at another company in Charlotte, engineering positions. Again, I am not advocating coming without a job and I would suspect Austin would be better as I said above. But there are jobs in Charlotte, just not easy to get. I see mostly sales, finance, tech and some others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:23 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top