Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 06:55 PM

208 posts, read 406,825 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently evaluating several relocation candidates and trying to narrow my choices to a workable list of places to visit. Cost of living and specifically, rental rates, are of vital importance.

In order to evaluate areas in this regard, I've been using the city-data.com detailed profiles for each of my candidates. However, recently a participant on the General U.S. forum who lives in another of my candidates, told me that the average rents I'd quoted from that city's detailed profile were much too low - anywhere from $400-600 too low.

So, now I'm wondering if I may need to reassess my method of determining what sort of cost of living I might be facing when I move. Maybe the website's data is outdated. Maybe I'm misreading the information provided there. On the other hand, maybe the abovementioned participant's viewpoint is skewed by his relatively high income level.

In posting here, I'm hoping to gain the benefit of the experiences of those who live in Charlotte or are otherwise familiar with current rental rates there. I have copied and pasted the following excerpt from the city-data.com detailed profile for Charlotte. Can you tell me if these figures are up-to-date and accurate?

//www.city-data.com/housing/hou...-Carolina.html

Median contract rent in 2008: $680 (lower quartile is $534, upper quartile is $848)

Btw, I have tried to obtain accurate cost of living figures by using websites which feature cost of living calculators and salary calculators, only to find that the figures provided vary dramatically from one site to the next.

Anything you can tell me will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 08:50 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I. B. Trippin View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently evaluating several relocation candidates and trying to narrow my choices to a workable list of places to visit. Cost of living and specifically, rental rates, are of vital importance.

In order to evaluate areas in this regard, I've been using the city-data.com detailed profiles for each of my candidates. However, recently a participant on the General U.S. forum who lives in another of my candidates, told me that the average rents I'd quoted from that city's detailed profile were much too low - anywhere from $400-600 too low.

So, now I'm wondering if I may need to reassess my method of determining what sort of cost of living I might be facing when I move. Maybe the website's data is outdated. Maybe I'm misreading the information provided there. On the other hand, maybe the abovementioned participant's viewpoint is skewed by his relatively high income level.

In posting here, I'm hoping to gain the benefit of the experiences of those who live in Charlotte or are otherwise familiar with current rental rates there. I have copied and pasted the following excerpt from the city-data.com detailed profile for Charlotte. Can you tell me if these figures are up-to-date and accurate?

//www.city-data.com/housing/hou...-Carolina.html

Median contract rent in 2008: $680 (lower quartile is $534, upper quartile is $848)

Btw, I have tried to obtain accurate cost of living figures by using websites which feature cost of living calculators and salary calculators, only to find that the figures provided vary dramatically from one site to the next.

Anything you can tell me will be greatly appreciated.
You have to be more specific, rental rates for what??? A house, a condo, a one bedroom apt, what?

Old 02-19-2010, 09:45 PM

Ideally, it would be a small house, maybe two bedrooms at most. However, I really don't know that much about the local housing market, so I don't know if it is realistic for me to be thinking about a house.

Still, I realize that it would certainly help to know the type of unit for which I'm seeking information. So, for the sake of covering all my bases let's say anywhere from a one bedroom apartment to a small, two-bedroom house. I know that not everyone who reads this will have a complete knowledge of the full range of prices for every type of rental unit but if you can provide a ballpark figure for one type, I can extrapolate the rest from there.

Thanks again.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. B. Trippin View Post
Ideally, it would be a small house, maybe two bedrooms at most. However, I really don't know that much about the local housing market, so I don't know if it is realistic for me to be thinking about a house.

Still, I realize that it would certainly help to know the type of unit for which I'm seeking information. So, for the sake of covering all my bases let's say anywhere from a one bedroom apartment to a small, two-bedroom house. I know that not everyone who reads this will have a complete knowledge of the full range of prices for every type of rental unit but if you can provide a ballpark figure for one type, I can extrapolate the rest from there.

Thanks again.
Well, small two bedroom homes tend to be in older areas of the city which would make them either in bad areas you don't necessarily want to live in, or trendy desirable areas, but then they are more expensive.

I happen to know of an adorable little two bedroom duplex in a very desirable neighborhood which is currently empty. I believe the asking rent is $900. a month.

In general, a one bedroom apt for less than $600 a month will be in less desirable areas in Charlotte. So do plan on at least that much.

To get a nice apt in a relatively good section of the city with two bedrooms you'd want to plan to spend at least $800 in my opinion, though you can of course find two bedrooms cheaper, I just wouldn't live where you'd find them for the most part.

Three bedroom homes are more common and to get one of those in a good area you'd have to plan to spend at least $1100 a month.

I hope this helps.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:16 PM

Thank you, lovesMountains.

Yes, this definitely gives me something to work with.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:17 AM

34 posts, read 61,183 times
where are these "desirable" areas of town in the southeast area of Char, around the 28270 area?

Old 02-20-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verEYEzon View Post
where are these "desirable" areas of town in the southeast area of Char, around the 28270 area?
Zip codes in Charlotte cover very large areas, so it is hard to pick an area to live in just by looking at that. In general though, all of 28270 is pretty good. There are nice apartments on hwy 51 near Providence High School for instance.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:08 AM

34 posts, read 61,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Zip codes in Charlotte cover very large areas, so it is hard to pick an area to live in just by looking at that. In general though, all of 28270 is pretty good. There are nice apartments on hwy 51 near Providence High School for instance.

Thank you again for the information!

Old 02-20-2010, 04:08 PM

10 posts, read 18,524 times
Default Apartment Hunting

Could anyone suggest any good areas and/or apartments in South Charlotte? My fiancee's workplace is on Randolph Rd. so anything near there would be ideal. Hopefully in the $750-900 range...thanks!

Old 02-20-2010, 04:37 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,398,734 times
Strawberry Hill is very close to Randolph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte