Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 08:58 PM

17 posts, read 37,461 times

Advertisements

I am touring around North Carolina right now on a discovery/job search and my travels have taken me through gastonia. I know there is a temple in gastonia - but is there such a thing as a jewish area of gastonia?
My wife who is a Sabra asked me this and I can't seem to find this out. There is no way in hell we could afford Charlotte's jewish areas and I find them congested and rather characterless.
Anyone have a clue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 01:09 PM

928 posts, read 3,853,250 times
Afghan -

I live out that way and I have no clue either. Maybe KMWay might know since this person is extremely knowledgeable.

What is a jewish community? I know when I lived in NY there were neighborhoods where certain faiths lived, like mine was catholic, and everyone on the block was catholic and we all attended the same parrish.
Is this similar to what your referencing?

I know there are newer areas in Gastonia being built and developed everyday so there could possible be something tucked in somewhere.

Good Luck.

Old 05-19-2007, 02:48 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,389,863 times
oh boy...well I guess my area would be considered characterless we bought in Union County Waxhaw/Marvin...and we are JEWISH... however it is absoultely georgous...my commute to the JCC in charlotte will be 20 min as my dh has done the drive quiet a few times all different times...there are quiet many jewish people in the surrounding area and alot more moving to Union and Mecklenburg..we are on the border of Meck county but considered Union County, our taxes are low the sub-divisions are wow..and It just works for us u can call the Temple in Gastonia and ask them about he jewish population there..as well as which sub-divisons/areas alot of thier memebers live, and tell them you are looking to move to the area...

good luck to you and your family

Old 05-19-2007, 06:54 PM

132 posts, read 445,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afghan57 View Post
There is no way in hell we could afford Charlotte's jewish areas and I find them congested and rather characterless.
WOW!!! Where are you moving from? When we toured the Charlotte areas (Jewish and non, alike) we found tons of charm and even character.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:18 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrminsky View Post
WOW!!! Where are you moving from? When we toured the Charlotte areas (Jewish and non, alike) we found tons of charm and even character.
I too am very confused about his impression of neighborhoods surrounding the JCC as being characterless. I think Lansdowne and its beautiful tree-lined streets has much in the way of character. In generall ALL the homes lining Providence Road from Myers Park to at least as far as the JCC are incredible. So many of them remind me of the house in the Steve Martin movie, "Father of the Bride". Expensive, yes. But characterless??? No way.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:39 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,170,894 times
I agree, there are plenty of older neighborhoods with character near Shalom Park. Some may even be comparable price-wise to what you have found in Gastonia. But you need to be comfortable with what and where you choose to buy. Best of luck to you!

Old 05-19-2007, 09:03 PM

To XNYgirl :
Not exactly. But thanks for taking a crack at it. Most of the members will probably live within a few blocks to a few miles away. but usually there is an area that will have a greater number of members.

To NCMOMOFTWO :
Did not mean to offend you - I really don't know anything about the Union County area - only the immediate area around the JCC. Thanks for the tip - I will look into that area now.
I called them but all I could get was a recording.

To Mrminsky :
Moving from a hole called Los Angeles - where the concrete is wall to wall and the the only green things growing are landscaping. I
like some of the non jewish areas also (because of the affordibility and the unmanicured look) but the jewish areas my friend pointed out are unfortunately out of reach.

To lovesMountains :
Yes - I believe the key word here is expensive. Not everyone earns six figures. I'm also a bit of an old sod - I like a bit of overgrowth and a few unkempt lots around.

To south.charlotte&union :
Thank you - I think I'm going to need it.

Last edited by afghan57; 05-19-2007 at 09:22 PM..

Old 05-20-2007, 07:26 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afghan57 View Post
To XNYgirl :
Not exactly. But thanks for taking a crack at it. Most of the members will probably live within a few blocks to a few miles away. but usually there is an area that will have a greater number of members.

To NCMOMOFTWO :
Did not mean to offend you - I really don't know anything about the Union County area - only the immediate area around the JCC. Thanks for the tip - I will look into that area now.
I called them but all I could get was a recording.

To Mrminsky :
Moving from a hole called Los Angeles - where the concrete is wall to wall and the the only green things growing are landscaping. I
like some of the non jewish areas also (because of the affordibility and the unmanicured look) but the jewish areas my friend pointed out are unfortunately out of reach.

To lovesMountains :
Yes - I believe the key word here is expensive. Not everyone earns six figures. I'm also a bit of an old sod - I like a bit of overgrowth and a few unkempt lots around.

To south.charlotte&union :
Thank you - I think I'm going to need it.
But to say the neighborhoods were "rather characterless" just doesn't make any sense to me. I have agreed with you that some are very expensive, though not all - ESPECIALLY compared to homes in LA.

Maybe you could tell us what exactly you are looking for (price range too) and we can make some suggestions.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:16 AM

To lovesMountains :
I apologize for the "characterless" remark. I really had no idea so many people would be offended by it. With the type of work that I do, Charlotte seems like the most likely place I would end up in. I'm not really so far along yet in my interviews that I would want to waste anyones time here on specific details of prices and areas - yet.
I still have to visit Winston-Salem and Greensboro (today) and Raleigh\Durham\Chapel Hill this coming week.
Ultimately the choice of where I will be living eventually may end up of being more someones elses choice than my own.( Family or employer )

Thank you all for your replies.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:41 PM

68 posts, read 284,339 times
I've lived here all of my life but I'm not sure I can say that we have a specific "jewish area".

However, the city is very open to people of Jewish faith. The state senator that represented Gastonia for years was jewish. It's kind of ironic...he made his money mostly from making christmas ornaments!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte