Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 01:24 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,371,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koomaga View Post
Thanks for the replies so far everyone.

What do you think of creating our own modern place, in a lot/subdivision near Charlotte and making smarter decisions such as leaving some privacy and taking better attention to detail?

The thinking being, that even if the house itself was very different in style compared to the surrounding neighborhood, what does it matter if you've landscaped a nice "fense" with trees and such around it?

Just found a property around Chapel Hill (564 Mt Laurel None, Chapel Hill NC - Trulia) - it doesn't have to be in this price range, but somewhere in Charlotte that offers privacy and better median pricing & income. Would welcome your thoughts!
Personally, I would look for an existing modern/mid-century mod house, truth to tell.

Check moderncharlotte.com for some examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 07:07 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,910,217 times
Koomaga,
I agree with Lumbollo. You'd have better luck working with an architect if you decide that you want to go modern. Landscaping is an important issue. Even a good looking tastefully designed contemporary house often doesn't look great in Charlotte because it doesn't blend in with the rest of the neighborhood. If well landscaped, however, it stands a better chance of looking good.

Last edited by BarbJ; 03-02-2010 at 07:18 PM..

Old 03-02-2010, 09:40 PM

17 posts, read 39,209 times
Thanks BarbJ, hooligan and lumbollo.

I'm calling a couple of old friends who are architects or general contractors in NY and get some much appreciated advice.

How about the strategy of getting into a smaller houses for a year or two in Charlotte area and plan out a grand 2-year strategy / time to pick out a land, know the neighborhood, and get the right team together?

Old 03-03-2010, 06:47 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,371,755 times
In this market, I'd strongly recommend AGAINST buying now with the intent to sell in two years. Personally I'd rent...

Old 03-03-2010, 08:15 AM

95 posts, read 243,832 times
I know that the ELEMENT is a unique property;however, concrete floors and small yards are some of the trends in Green housing. Green housing is becoming so valued that the banking industry as well as the mortgage industry and IRS are starting to reward these builders with incentives. Homes with GREEN features and/or LEED Certified are also given additional value by appraisers. The Element properties although more expensive than the surrounding area will be given more value than the surrounding area because of the Green features. Do the Green features justify such a high additional value for the ELEMENT, I don't know; however, we are going to see a lot more of this in the future.

Currently, are a ton of low interest mortgages for Green homes and up to 10K in tax credits for green homes excluding the reduced operational cost of these homes. Charlotte tends to be 3-5 years behind most housing trends so it will be interesting to see how consumers and builders react to the new Green standards.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:17 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,548,747 times
My thoughts
Love the style
Will stick out like a sore thumb in that neighborhood
Comparables will be less per square foot, BUT (as another poster pointed out) that probably won't be comparing with certfied energy efficient homes like these.
Energy efficiency is becoming more desirable and should add value to the home.
There are a number of state and local rebate programmes available for installing renewable energy heating systems and for homes that are energy efficient, however here the builder will have picked up a lot of them, depnding on the heating/cooling system installed. Surprised it doesn't tell you more about that.

DSIRE: Incentives/Policies by State: North Carolina: Incentives/Policies for Renewables & Efficiency
Duke energy offer 5% discount off elecricity if house is certified energy efficient. WOW!
Apparently it costs $300-$500 to get the certificate, but these homes should already have the cert', one assumes.

Really depends if you like it mainly because it' contemporary, or because it's energy efficient.
If you're not that bothered about energy efficiency, but want something modernish. as someone else said , try Mid-Century Modern Charlotte | Modern Homes - Charlotte, NC
Lots wil certainly be larger.Some may be energy efficient.

Otherwise you could buy a lot and build one yourself and get all the tax incentives, or try and get the price down on one of these.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:35 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,548,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
You problem is that it will be very difficult to find a lot, in Charlotte, that you can develop unless you can do a tear down. This is because Charlotte, long ago, decided that most new development will be in subdivisions by builders and for the most part, these tract developments are only profitable if they mass produce homes with few floorplans. Most will not agree to sell a lot. (though in these days of bankrupting developers this might be changing)

You will be limited to real high end development where it is common to hire an architect, an acreage lot where it won't matter, or a teardown where there are no neighborhood restrictions.

Chapel, Hill is in the Triange about 180 miles from here. You might be better off asking about that property in that forum. CH is a desirable place to live in the state.
When we looked at reloacating to Chapel Hill there were more contemporary style homes on offer.Of course Chapel Hill is a suburb of Durham, rather than THE city itself.
Guess if you want to buy a lot you need to move out of Charlotte proper into the smaller cities surrounding it.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:43 PM

95 posts, read 243,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
In this market, I'd strongly recommend AGAINST buying now with the intent to sell in two years. Personally I'd rent...
You are write on the money with this comment. You should always plan to be in a home 7 years.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:53 AM

2 posts, read 3,517 times
Wink Craig Ave homes

[quote=Koomaga;13082625]Hi all,

We're considering moving to Charlotte from upstate New York, and found a couple of properties that are super modern:

4551 Craig Avenue, Charlotte NC - Trulia

I think the price is certainly reasonable compared to properties in greater Albany area, but is this too modern for the neighborhood and will we have trouble selling it later?

Hi Koomaga -

Not sure if you saw these in person, but they do stick out in the neighborhood. I thought it was a development of these homes, but it's 3 or so houses at the end of a street. I was driving in the area, not even looking for Craig Ave, and I saw the homes out of the corner of my eye. Meaning, they stuck out without me even looking for them, even at the end of the road.

Don't get me wrong, nice homes though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte