U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 06:07 PM

199 posts, read 919,823 times

Advertisements

As someone who completed his K-12 education abroad, I would like to understand the factors that make a school (system) a good school (system) in the U.S. and in particular in Charlotte and surrounding counties. That is, why are Union county schools more desirable than Meck county schools and why is high school A better than high school B in the same county?

Is it because a "good" school has:
- wealthier parents who care more about the education of their kids
- fewer minority / ESL students
- more funding
- better educated teachers

which leads to:
- more content can be covered
- more subjects can be offered
- less crime / drug
- smaller classes, better equipment

I guess I'm trying to find out if people who ask about "good" schools on this forum really ask about a socioeconomic background of a neighborhood or if there really are instances where school A is much better than school B with all other things (socioeconomic background of kids) being equal.

Thanks for enlightening me
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 06:33 PM

206 posts, read 481,200 times
Default Follow the Money

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgballer View Post
As someone who completed his K-12 education abroad, I would like to understand the factors that make a school (system) a good school (system) in the U.S. and in particular in Charlotte and surrounding counties. That is, why are Union county schools more desirable than Meck county schools and why is high school A better than high school B in the same county?

Is it because a "good" school has:
- wealthier parents who care more about the education of their kids
- fewer minority / ESL students
- more funding
- better educated teachers

which leads to:
- more content can be covered
- more subjects can be offered
- less crime / drug
- smaller classes, better equipment

I guess I'm trying to find out if people who ask about "good" schools on this forum really ask about a socioeconomic background of a neighborhood or if there really are instances where school A is much better than school B with all other things (socioeconomic background of kids) being equal.

Thanks for enlightening me [/QUOTe
Simple, and no different from anywhere else in the world, the wealthier and more educated the parents, the better the education outcome for the students - regardless of race. Charlotte is not unique.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 03-01-2010 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: fix the quote

Old 03-02-2010, 11:40 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,216,687 times
I agree with the above poster. The OP even pointed out exactly how each of those regiments would propose a better education in the better upbringing, wealthier area. Race is not a factor, but socioeconomics come into play everywhere. I may be missing the point. Are you asking if a better school could be in the poorer area? Normally, not always though, wealth does equate to better education. Simply due to $ you can make with grauate degree vs highschool degree. And other similar factors. Teachers with the better understanding on how to get through to our children (and who want to be in a A rated school) are also going to travel to the better schools to teach. Hence why a poorer area may not have the best teachers.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:52 AM

6,023 posts, read 9,285,347 times
Quote:
As someone who completed his K-12 education abroad
Please enlighten us on what "makes a school a good school" where you're from... I'm not sure I'm following what you want here and that context would help.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:10 PM

624 posts, read 2,002,302 times
I would think, but have no direct knowledge, that more tangible factors would play into it:

# of Advanced Placement Courses are offered
% of Students that take advantage of AP Courses and score 4 or 5 on the Test
Average SAT Scores
% of Students that continue on to Higher Education
% of Students that Graduate High School
% of Students that Drop Out
% of Teachers that have a Masters Degree
Avg Number of Students per Class

Old 03-02-2010, 12:36 PM

595 posts, read 1,531,989 times
Quote:
are instances where school A is much better than school B with all other things (socioeconomic background of kids) being equal.
Socioeconomic background is all that matters!

If you want your kids to have a good education, then you need to stop being poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>