U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 04:57 PM

291 posts, read 1,055,928 times

Advertisements

Can anyone offer any information on benefits for Senior Citizens in NC or more specifically in the Charlotte area. For example, in NJ there are programs where senior citizens can apply to receive credits toward their utilities (electric, gas, etc). Also, NJ has a prescription drug assistance program that is free to seniors who qualify and they pay only $5 or $10 dollars for most drugs. My husband and I are planning to relocate and are hoping my parents will also make the move. Any info you can share will be appreciated. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2006, 07:14 PM

No one has any info to offer?

Old 07-31-2006, 09:40 AM

2,290 posts, read 2,146,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHBR702
I've been trying to find out the same info. Not a good sign maybe they don;t have anything

Old 07-31-2006, 12:10 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,688,946 times
Quote:
Can anyone offer any information on benefits for Senior Citizens in NC or more specifically in the Charlotte area. For example, in NJ there are programs where senior citizens can apply to receive credits toward their utilities (electric, gas, etc). Also, NJ has a prescription drug assistance program that is free to seniors who qualify and they pay only $5 or $10 dollars for most drugs. My husband and I are planning to relocate and are hoping my parents will also make the move. Any info you can share will be appreciated. Thanks!
Call the utilities direct. Ask them

Old 07-31-2006, 01:21 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,123,351 times
I tried finding information on the subject when I first moved here and found nothing. I have accepted the fact that NC is not a leader in helping seniors.
This is not to say they don't help, just that I was unable to find anything.
As for medications many times the Pharmaceutical companies will help through free or reduced meds for those who qualify. Try contacting them directly.
BTW, veterans can get reduced meds for $8 and medical help.
Don

Old 07-31-2006, 03:24 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,106,684 times
Quote:
I believe there's some benefits on property taxes (RE and vehicle). I have something here that I saw that on, I'll dig it up and post it for you.

Old 07-31-2006, 05:57 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,723,421 times
Quote:
Hey there LHBR702-was not sure where to post this as you have it in SC too? Anywho...I will not claim to be an expert...I am only sharing with you what I have found out. We live in SC (right across the NC stateline)....when my parents decided they were going to leave CA and come here too...I started checking out senior services for SC...what I found out was that there was not much. My parents are on a fixed income (with a small pension) with no house to cash out from in CA, nor any savings to speak of. My Father who has various chronic conditions and takes a ton of medicine had a HMO as a supplement to his Medicare (to mainly help with medication cost) while in CA. In South Carolina they did not offer this program. While I was so excited that they had decided to make the move....it was quickly becoming clear to me that an unexpected twist was now going to squash them moving out here. I then started checking into North Carolina....they too (NC) do have much to offer either but it was more than SC had. I am trying to make this as short as possible (without all the ups and downs we had) but the end result was they are now covered under Partners Medicare (Partners Heath Plans of NC). I can not say enough good things about this company (the level of service is excellent, the care they show my parents, I could go on and on about how they have helped them and how happy they/we are). Other items such as discounts for seniors...if you own a home (exempt portions of their property from taxes...but you do have to be under a certain income level, etc.)

Below are some sites you might want to check out:

http://www.stateline.org/live/ViewPa...ontentId=94035
(broken link)
http://www.ncsl.org/programs/health/drugaid.htm
http://www.retirementliving.com/RLtaxes.html
http://www.cbpp.org/3-6-06sfp-pr.htm

although I have called the phone company numerous times they did not offer anything, I called the electric company (they only offer a delay in payment if they are unable to pay...and they can no longer shut the power off). Lastly there are Senior Centers that are located in the Charlotte-Meck. are you might check out: (http://www.charlotteseniorcenters.org/ (broken link))

Again not an expert in anyway just trying to share some of the things that we have found out along the way.

Good luck to you!

Last edited by Yac; 08-01-2006 at 02:12 PM..

Old 07-31-2006, 06:49 PM

Thanks, love, I appreciate the info. I'm glad to hear that your parents made the move and have been able to get some assistance through the program you mentioned. I too am hoping my parents can make the move with us because I really want to stay close to them, especially as they get older. I posted in both North and South Carolina because we are considering both. I will check into those sites you listed. Again, thanks a lot!

Old 07-31-2006, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks, love, I appreciate the info. I'm glad to hear that your parents made the move and have been able to get some assistance through the program you mentioned. I too am hoping my parents can make the move with us because I really want to stay close to them, especially as they get older. I posted in both North and South Carolina because we are considering both. I will check into those sites you listed. Again, thanks a lot!

Your very welcome and I have my fingers crossed for both you and yours!

Old 08-02-2006, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas
Hey there LHBR702-was not sure where to post this as you have it in SC too? Anywho...I will not claim to be an expert...I am only sharing with you what I have found out. We live in SC (right across the NC stateline)....when my parents decided they were going to leave CA and come here too...I started checking out senior services for SC...what I found out was that there was not much. My parents are on a fixed income (with a small pension) with no house to cash out from in CA, nor any savings to speak of. My Father who has various chronic conditions and takes a ton of medicine had a HMO as a supplement to his Medicare (to mainly help with medication cost) while in CA. In South Carolina they did not offer this program. While I was so excited that they had decided to make the move....it was quickly becoming clear to me that an unexpected twist was now going to squash them moving out here. I then started checking into North Carolina....they too (NC) do have much to offer either but it was more than SC had. I am trying to make this as short as possible (without all the ups and downs we had) but the end result was they are now covered under Partners Medicare (Partners Heath Plans of NC). I can not say enough good things about this company (the level of service is excellent, the care they show my parents, I could go on and on about how they have helped them and how happy they/we are). Other items such as discounts for seniors...if you own a home (exempt portions of their property from taxes...but you do have to be under a certain income level, etc.)

Below are some sites you might want to check out:

http://www.stateline.org/live/ViewPa...ontentId=94035
(broken link)
http://www.ncsl.org/programs/health/drugaid.htm
http://www.retirementliving.com/RLtaxes.html
http://www.cbpp.org/3-6-06sfp-pr.htm

although I have called the phone company numerous times they did not offer anything, I called the electric company (they only offer a delay in payment if they are unable to pay...and they can no longer shut the power off). Lastly there are Senior Centers that are located in the Charlotte-Meck. are you might check out: (http://www.charlotteseniorcenters.org/)

Again not an expert in anyway just trying to share some of the things that we have found out along the way.

Good luck to you!
oh come on ***...what did you have to delete off my post now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte