Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 11:38 AM

5 posts, read 7,125 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate to the area. Have wanted to for years actually. We are currently in the suburbs of NYC and both work in NYC, but his family lives down there, and whenever we visit, we don't want to go back to to NY! We are about to have our second child and would like them to grow up near family and in a different enviornment than NY.

I know the unemployment rate is quite high in the area. I was wondering if this was a specific industry or type of job? Is it across the board? Are professional "white collar" jobs just as hard to find as manufacturing type jobs? Ive seen all over these boards that moving down there without a job is not a wise move. But it also seems very difficult to find a job while NOT living down there. People seem to see NY on a resume and toss it aside.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good professional head hunter? Or any local job boards that may work better than a huge nationwide site? I feel that sending out resumes on job sites makes you one in about 100,000!

Thanks for any feedback you may have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 12:21 PM

368 posts, read 949,215 times
What field? Two headhunters I am aware of are Sherpa and Hunter Hollis for accounting/finance.

I have a friend who is a recruiter with a company that focuses on the IT field. I can get contact info if needed.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:36 PM

My husband is in a client relations / relationship development type of role. I work in HR, but focus on training, development, employee development and design our internal training website. So... either of us could work in a variety of industries.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:46 PM

554 posts, read 1,511,686 times
I would join charlottemommies.com and put a post there as well. Be specific and ask questions if anyone knows any companies that hire for what you are looking for. Also there is a job thread there. A lot of people will serve as a great connection for you. My family is trying to move down here as well and I put up a thread about looking for an engineering job and I've already had responses. I also can tell you that my fiance and I moved down here last year without jobs and we haven't had problems (HE got lucky because it was a "who you know" situation) but I have to say that speaking for myself I have had more interests with those wanting to interview me and contacting me than I have ever had...but I am in sales...

Old 03-09-2010, 02:38 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,038,449 times
Time Warner Cable did have a Corporate HR/training position open last month. I haven't checked if it is still open, but might be worth a look.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:20 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,304,042 times
The Charlotte job market right now is tight, but it is that way in most places in the country right now. Finding a job is difficult but not impossible. I moved here with no job in September and found one within 2 weeks. Granted, its not my ideal job but it allows me to live comfortably and pay the bills until the economy recovers.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:21 AM

1,797 posts, read 2,397,121 times
A related question: how difficult do you all think it is for someone living out-of-state to find a job in the Charlotte area? Do you think employers would have a preference for someone with a Charlotte address on her resume versus a New York address? I wonder if the OP should use a local family member's address on her resume.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:07 PM

554 posts, read 1,511,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
Time Warner Cable did have a Corporate HR/training position open last month. I haven't checked if it is still open, but might be worth a look.
The thing about Time Warner is you don't have as shot in hell to get in with the company unless you know someone who works there...

Old 03-11-2010, 07:37 AM

70 posts, read 237,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
A related question: how difficult do you all think it is for someone living out-of-state to find a job in the Charlotte area? Do you think employers would have a preference for someone with a Charlotte address on her resume versus a New York address? I wonder if the OP should use a local family member's address on her resume.
The answer to your first question is it may be a tedius task finding a job while in another state. And yes employers do want to see an address that is within the CLT area or in the nearby S.C. Counties. I've learned employers want someone to start within 1-2 weeks so if the potential candidate hasn't fully moved, the employer may not want to wait. It makes sense to use a NC address, and a cell phone with a 704 area code. I know folks who have tried being honest using an out of state address and phone# informing the employer it wouldn't be a problem to do a relocation in 1-2 weeks at the most. Unfortunately, they were never called. When they did the follow up call, were told by the employer the reason he/she was not chosen were because of the time the relocation would take. They were so aggrevated by this since they were honest from the beginning. They were able to find employment once they completely moved there. This was in 2007 so the finding a job may have more competition in 2010.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:52 AM

Thanks everyone. It sounds like despite people recommending you do not move without a job, it's also near impossible to get one if you aren't in the area!! I guess we have some decisions to make. Thanks everyone for your feedback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: