Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2007, 05:42 AM

40 posts, read 150,694 times

Advertisements

My family and I are planning to move to the Charlotte, NC area at the end of August 07. We are looking to rent a home (for the first year anyway) in a nice quiet area/suburb outside of Charlotte (but close enough to drive to work in the city). What affordable areas should we consider? We currently live in a very rural area on the lower eastern shore of MD and would really like to be near but not in the city. As transplants in our current area (Eden, MD near Salisbury, MD) for several years we have experienced coldness, mistrust and sometimes outright hostility from the "natives" here and we have finally decided that enough is enough. Down here, if you were not born and raised in this area you are not accepted and practically often ostracized for being different. What areas in Charlotte are more accepting of decent, hardworking, friendly "transplants" than others? Please advise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 09:31 AM

620 posts, read 2,113,023 times
Definately not a rural area as you would most likely encounter the same thing. Like you said, if your in an area close enough to drive to work in a nearby city you should be ok. Look at Union County (although I will warn you it is a very fast growing county) or, if your used to the water, Iredell County or Denver, NC (Lincoln County) which are both by Lake Norman.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:24 PM

473 posts, read 1,574,628 times
Red face Huntersville

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
Definately not a rural area as you would most likely encounter the same thing. Like you said, if your in an area close enough to drive to work in a nearby city you should be ok. Look at Union County (although I will warn you it is a very fast growing county) or, if your used to the water, Iredell County or Denver, NC (Lincoln County) which are both by Lake Norman.
I'd add Huntersville to the list, maybe Cornelius or Davidson, depending on your commute. There are so many transplants here, no one would would think twice about another one! Huntersville is its own little suburb or city outside of Charlotte to the north. It's close to Lake Norman and there's quite a bit of shopping in the area. Past exit 23, the commute in and out of Charlotte gets more difficult, though. If a commute is a concern, you might want to keep that in mind...

Old 06-06-2007, 07:58 AM

14 posts, read 37,075 times
I and my wife will be relocating to Cornelius this fall if all goes will with our house! We visited back in Oct 06 and absolutely loved Cornelius, Davidson and Huntersville area. While not real rural, hard to find that close to a city, they are very nice. Davidson and Cornelius had the college town feel to us, plenty of space so you don't feel like your living in the city but you won't be coming across any cow fields either. But a 20 minute drive away from town you’ll find plenty of open space.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:20 PM

5 posts, read 13,000 times
How is Concord to live in ? I live in Alpena Mi. at will be moving to N.C. as soon asour house sells..... Any information on the area will help.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:30 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,385,386 times
Concord is decent with 3 exceptions: The traffic during the All Star Race, the traffic during the Memorial Day race, and the traffic during the October race. Other than that, it's a nice area and pretty darn close to Charlotte.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:48 PM

396 posts, read 1,431,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Concord is decent with 3 exceptions: The traffic during the All Star Race, the traffic during the Memorial Day race, and the traffic during the October race. Other than that, it's a nice area and pretty darn close to Charlotte.
LOL... That's a great answer!!

Old 06-10-2007, 10:24 PM

473 posts, read 1,574,628 times
Red face A few more exceptions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
My girlfriend lives near there and has also experienced problems around the Track during swap meets and other events there (non-NASCAR), and problems around the Mall during holidays and weekends. She also hears the Track from her house, which I would not be personally happy about concerning resale...

Old 06-10-2007, 10:27 PM

117 posts, read 405,121 times
I live in Concord off Rt. 73 and I think it is great. I am far enough away from the speedway but close to shopping, restaurants, Concord Mills etc. Great schools in Cabarrus county if that is what you are looking for also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte