Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2007, 12:57 PM

5 posts, read 19,655 times

Advertisements

Hello
We live in Alpharetta GA (two kids in elementary school) and are thinking about moving to Charlotte area. Would like to get away from a) the traffic b) the materialistic culture that is rampid down here. We currently live in a single family 300k house but would love to find something a) less expensive b) good neighborhood c) good schools d) good culture but not religious-zealot culture. e) fun things for kids to do (outdoor activities for kids and adults). Would love an area with a YMCA/YWCA, convenient shopping - Publix, family-friendly restaurants, biking paths in the area, out-door minded culture, community-minded/help those less fortunate culture. Great area to raise kids, etc. Does it exist?
Can you recommend an area/suburb of Charlotte that would meet this criteria?
Also, is there an international airport that has direct flights to Europe (we have family over there).
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 01:32 PM

39 posts, read 178,801 times
Funny, we considered Alpharetta from South Florida until we decided on South Charlotte.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:35 PM

73 posts, read 247,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmofjm View Post
Hello
We live in Alpharetta GA (two kids in elementary school) and are thinking about moving to Charlotte area. Would like to get away from a) the traffic b) the materialistic culture that is rampid down here. We currently live in a single family 300k house but would love to find something a) less expensive b) good neighborhood c) good schools d) good culture but not religious-zealot culture. e) fun things for kids to do (outdoor activities for kids and adults). Would love an area with a YMCA/YWCA, convenient shopping - Publix, family-friendly restaurants, biking paths in the area, out-door minded culture, community-minded/help those less fortunate culture. Great area to raise kids, etc. Does it exist?
Can you recommend an area/suburb of Charlotte that would meet this criteria?
Also, is there an international airport that has direct flights to Europe (we have family over there).
Thanks

Berewick has all of that Berewick - Location. Location. Lifestyle.. Airport is 10 minutes away, YMCA and convenient shopping are less than 10 minutes away (Pineville Mall, Arsley, Rivergate). They are building a lot of bike trails through the neighborhood and the county's largest park in Berewick. Housing prices are still within your range, but going up fast.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:53 PM

Thanks for the info, Berewick resident. How are the schools? How do they rank? That's one thing I will miss here - excellent public school system in the area

Old 06-04-2007, 02:34 PM

107 posts, read 121,113 times
I am just going to go and check out this Berewick area.

One of the things I like most about Charlotte (keep in mind I am 36 and very in to outdoors and sports, etc.) is how popular working out and being outdoors is just about all over the city. Of course, it probably is just the circles in which I run (no pun intended...) but I think you can find just about everything you would want here. It's great, really. I love being both so close to the mountains as well as the coast. Uptown is vibrant, the outskirts are nice and fun. There is the new whitewater facility here as well. You will not have a problem finding a great spot. Parks abound.

I worked in international business for 13 years before getting in to residential real estate and went all over the world. CLT is a great airport and has several good Euro-flights. If you arent flying directly, you may only have one connection in Philly or something...

Really great town.

Lester Morris

Old 06-04-2007, 08:24 PM

73 posts, read 247,213 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info, Berewick resident. How are the schools? How do they rank? That's one thing I will miss here - excellent public school system in the area
I give you that, public schools aren't that great. Nothing like Ohio or NY I'm sure. They are going to build a new public school in berewick this fall providing the bond passes (VOTE). Hopefully that will get my wife and I though the next 10 years or so. After that, most likely they will be going to private school. Good schools are very important to both of us. If there is a down side to Berewick, that's it, the schools aren't the best.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:06 AM

Any direct flights from Charlotte to Europe?

Old 06-07-2007, 09:50 AM

4 posts, read 10,612 times
Quote:
Any direct flights from Charlotte to Europe?
Charlotte has direct flights to England and Germany.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:55 AM

107 posts, read 121,113 times
summer offers more flights to the uk, france and ireland. spain possibly. if not direct, there might be one layover in philly.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:10 PM

Any one know of any direct flight from Charlotte to Spain? If so, which airline(s)?
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: