Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2007, 07:16 PM

2 posts, read 6,294 times

Advertisements

Hello-

My boyfriend and are are planning a trip to Charlotte June 29-July 3 in an effort to see if the city is somewhere we could see ourselves relocating. We are both from Ohio, and are college graduates in our mid 20's. We live in Cleveland now, and the economy/job-market here is horrible. Not to mention, the weather during the winter is WAY too cold and snowy!

We are looking to move somewhere with a healthy economy, plenty of jobs (we would both be looking for something in communications, marketing, etc.), warmer weather and a good social scene (we like to go out to dinner, pubs, concerts, sporting events, etc.)

We will be in Charlotte for 5 days and want to try to see and do enough around the city in that time to get an idea of whether or not we should look into relocating there. We are staying at a hotel right off of I-77, about 8 miles south of downtown. We would love to get suggestions of areas of the city we sould check out, good restaurants, interesting places to go, fun things to do, etc. I tried looking for a Charlotte guide book at several bookstores, but the only one I found was of little help... Any and all suggestions of things we should do while we are in town would be much appreciated!

Also, if we were to move to Charlotte, we would ideally want to live in an urban area, close to downtown, but where crime is not too much of an issue. We would would like to be somewhere where we could walk to restaurants, shops, etc. and where there is a somewhat "liberal" atmosphere. I like to go running outside - so I would really like to be near a park or somewhere that I would feel safe to run on the sidewalks. Public transportation nearby would also be ideal, although not totally nessecary. We would be renting an apartment or twonhome for the first year or two after we move, before buying a house, and would want to stay in a price range of $700-$900/month. If you could suggest some neighborhoods that sound like they would be what we're looking for, that would be great, so that we can take a look at those places during our visit.

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 07:28 PM

73 posts, read 247,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizOU04 View Post
Hello-

My boyfriend and are are planning a trip to Charlotte June 29-July 3 in an effort to see if the city is somewhere we could see ourselves relocating. We are both from Ohio, and are college graduates in our mid 20's. We live in Cleveland now, and the economy/job-market here is horrible. Not to mention, the weather during the winter is WAY too cold and snowy!

We are looking to move somewhere with a healthy economy, plenty of jobs (we would both be looking for something in communications, marketing, etc.), warmer weather and a good social scene (we like to go out to dinner, pubs, concerts, sporting events, etc.)

We will be in Charlotte for 5 days and want to try to see and do enough around the city in that time to get an idea of whether or not we should look into relocating there. We are staying at a hotel right off of I-77, about 8 miles south of downtown. We would love to get suggestions of areas of the city we sould check out, good restaurants, interesting places to go, fun things to do, etc. I tried looking for a Charlotte guide book at several bookstores, but the only one I found was of little help... Any and all suggestions of things we should do while we are in town would be much appreciated!

Also, if we were to move to Charlotte, we would ideally want to live in an urban area, close to downtown, but where crime is not too much of an issue. We would would like to be somewhere where we could walk to restaurants, shops, etc. and where there is a somewhat "liberal" atmosphere. I like to go running outside - so I would really like to be near a park or somewhere that I would feel safe to run on the sidewalks. Public transportation nearby would also be ideal, although not totally nessecary. We would be renting an apartment or twonhome for the first year or two after we move, before buying a house, and would want to stay in a price range of $700-$900/month. If you could suggest some neighborhoods that sound like they would be what we're looking for, that would be great, so that we can take a look at those places during our visit.

Liz

You may want to try this website: Visit Charlotte :: Home

Old 06-03-2007, 07:30 PM

73 posts, read 247,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizOU04 View Post
Hello-

Liz

And go Bobcats. There are tons of OU grads down here.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:59 PM

6 posts, read 124,979 times
LizOU04,

I came to the forum tonight to post basically an identical message to yours as my girlfriend and I are going to Charlotte from the 8th-10th of June to check it out as a potential relocation area. We are in our mid 20's as well, recent college grads, etc. and are looking for similar activities as you. I will try to post again after our trip to let you know what we did and what we liked.

As for other readers, I look forward to your responses, and would also like to ask about a good park at any of the major lakes near Charlotte. Thanks!

Old 06-03-2007, 09:17 PM

2 posts, read 6,294 times
Thanks to both of you for your help

Berewick Resident - Glad to hear there are a lot of OU grads down there! It's always fun to run into fellow Bobcats.

mastaputa - Hope you and your girlfriend have a good trip! That would be great if you could let me know how your trip went and what places you liked. Sounds like a lot of people are relocating to Charlotte.

Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte