U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2007, 10:47 AM

204 posts, read 745,783 times

Advertisements

Just watched the implosion of the home of the Hornets. Impressive. Did they build a new one downtown?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 10:50 AM

3,364 posts, read 9,573,907 times
No the Hornets went to New Orleans.

They then build the bobcats arena opposite the bus station against I believe the voters wishes.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:53 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,695,993 times
OP must not live in Charlotte.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
No the Hornets went to New Orleans.

They then build the bobcats arena opposite the bus station against I believe the voters wishes.
Yep...but voters wanted it, they just did not want to finance it...I am one of them. I love the arena but Bob Cheap-But* Johnson has enough money and connections to finance it himself but opted to have all of us schmoes pay for it instead. Oh well.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:58 AM

204 posts, read 745,783 times
KMWay-isn't that always the way-these owners have mucho $$ but it's always put to the taxpayer. I did see the new arena when I visited early April-(memory lapse).

Old 06-04-2007, 11:09 AM

4,729 posts, read 18,695,540 times
Basically, one person said the Coliseum was the last of the propeller planes before the jets came along, and that's about right. It was built with 24000 seats, but only 8 luxury suites. The Palace of Auburn Hills was built within the same year and has 172 suites.

The Hornets owners screwed up all kinds of things before leaving town. In order to keep them here, city council added a non-binding arena referendum which they though the voters would support. Well, they are politicians, and as such idiots with no common sense and thus they were wrong. It was defeated by a large margin. The Hornets went to New Orleans and the city built the uptown arena the following year without a revote in the hopes of landing another expansion franchise, and they did. I agree that Bob Johnson should have paid for some of it with also some other private funding, but he was not in the picture when they built the arena; he was just the one who stepped up to buy the franchise. It is a beautiful arena, much more modern and in a better location. I'm not a basketball fan but I love going uptown for our AA Charlotte Checkers hockey games. What gets me though is that Charlotte cops are paid 9% less than the national average and the city won't even pay to turn streetlights on downtown on the loop. If they took care of these things first and then built the arena, it would make it a little more bearable.

It was quite a sight to see the impolsion in person though. We watched it from a parking deck near where I work and had a little tailgate.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:17 AM

45,242 posts, read 96,233,960 times
The implosion of the Charlotte Colliseum made me very sad. I was here for the inaugral year of the Hornets and will never forget the excitement and enthusiasm the whole city had for the newest NBA team. Teal and purple were everywhere! Those new team colors really ignited a fashion craze

Games were affordable back then so many people attended regularly. I will never forget some of the great shots by Rex Chapman, the many points racked up by Larry Johnson or Kendall Gill, or the great antics by my all time favorite Hornet, Muggsy Bogues. My son was thrilled to actually attend Muggsy Bogues summer camps after watching him on the court so many times.

Over the years we went to the circus and other fun events at the coliseum. And a few years ago we attended my son's high school graduation there, a very proud day. All in all, I see the implosion as another piece of Charlotte that is now gone, a place that those who weren't here in its hay day can't fully appreciate, or remember the way I always will

Old 06-04-2007, 11:23 AM

At least it will live on. Almost all of it will be used as fill or oher materials for City Park.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Basically, one person said the Coliseum was the last of the propeller planes before the jets came along, and that's about right. It was built with 24000 seats, but only 8 luxury suites. The Palace of Auburn Hills was built within the same year and has 172 suites.

The Hornets owners screwed up all kinds of things before leaving town. In order to keep them here, city council added a non-binding arena referendum which they though the voters would support. Well, they are politicians, and as such idiots with no common sense and thus they were wrong. It was defeated by a large margin. The Hornets went to New Orleans and the city built the uptown arena the following year without a revote in the hopes of landing another expansion franchise, and they did. I agree that Bob Johnson should have paid for some of it with also some other private funding, but he was not in the picture when they built the arena; he was just the one who stepped up to buy the franchise. It is a beautiful arena, much more modern and in a better location. I'm not a basketball fan but I love going uptown for our AA Charlotte Checkers hockey games. What gets me though is that Charlotte cops are paid 9% less than the national average and the city won't even pay to turn streetlights on downtown on the loop. If they took care of these things first and then built the arena, it would make it a little more bearable.

It was quite a sight to see the impolsion in person though. We watched it from a parking deck near where I work and had a little tailgate.
Actually groove, Bob J was in the picture all along in regard to the arena. He stepped up and said "Charlotte, I'll bring you NBA if and only if you agree to help me by building an arena." I remember that distinctly as I had the displeasure of working in Charlotte media at the time and that story was all the rage.
Charlotte only agreed to build with the assurance of an NBA franchise, which Bob J delivered. It was a long negotiation, most without the public's knowledge.

Any which way it happened, it's there now so I certainly go and enjoy it. I am with you, I love the hockey games and have season tickets. But I won't go to a Bobcats game unless I get free tix, which was three times last year.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:49 AM

I haven't been to a basketball game at all there yet.

If anyone wants to see the implosion videos Local News | News for Charlotte, North Carolina | WCNC.com seems to have the best and you tube has quite a few as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte