Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 09:13 PM

82 posts, read 169,549 times

Advertisements

Well it's that time again - our community has changed and we have decided to find a new home to rent. We've looked at a couple of websites (Mecca & TRLawing) as well as scour Craigslist - is there any other online resources we can check to locate Charlotte homes for rent? We have very specific requirements since we do have pets, want a fenced yard, have commute issues etc...

Can anyone suggest other rental resources? TIA. Oh, anyone that has rental property pls dm me so my post doesn't get deleted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 11:16 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D2C21GC View Post
Well it's that time again - our community has changed and we have decided to find a new home to rent. We've looked at a couple of websites (Mecca & TRLawing) as well as scour Craigslist - is there any other online resources we can check to locate Charlotte homes for rent? We have very specific requirements since we do have pets, want a fenced yard, have commute issues etc...

Can anyone suggest other rental resources? TIA. Oh, anyone that has rental property pls dm me so my post doesn't get deleted.

What side of town do you work on?

Old 03-17-2010, 06:10 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,166,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D2C21GC View Post

Check out CarolinaHome.com, then click on "find a home" Use the drop down box to select rental. This is the regional MLS site and lists many rentals that are not managed by the big companies. Your realtor can set you up for an automated search that e-mails you new listings as they come on the market.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:11 AM

103 posts, read 241,580 times
I have PMd you.

The single best way to find a good rental property is to drive throughout the neighborhoods where you wish to live. As a landlord, I can tell you that many of us do not advertise our properties except to put a sign in the yard. Sometimes, I've listed on Craigslist, and once I used a newspaper ad (a very long time ago). But in the Fort Mill area where I have most of my properties, I don't need to do anything but put a sign in the yard.

FYI, once you've found a place, while the landlord is checking your references and such, be sure to look into his/her background and make sure they're paying their mortgage and whatnot. There are way too many folks out there who have suddenly become landlords because they can't pay their mortgage (and many other situations), and I'm hearing all to often about tenants discovering that they have less than a month to remove themselves from the property due to a foreclosure situation. Talk to the neighbors around the property you are considering.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:54 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,021,816 times
Since he's advertising here, I would NOT recommend dealing with WessCason - very rude and not helpful at all. Realtors who pretend they're management companies are deceiving. There's absolutely no reason to use specific realtor's sites.

In addition to CarolinaHome.com (MLS feed), I would suggest just using google (to search for specific communities) and Rentals.com. I also agree with FMYankee - drive the areas. Although knowing the landlord's mortgage status is relevant, I've been told that there is legislation in place now that banks are required to honor the FULL term of a lease before evicting you. You pay the rent to them. If this is a concern, you should contact a professional to verify.

In general, if you have good credit and verified salary to cover the rent (plan on proving you make at least 3x the rent monthly) you won't have trouble finding a place. Renting is one area where you do NOT necessarily need a Realtor if you know where you want to live... Frankly, the whole house renting process in the Charlotte area is a complete mess. For example, if you work with a Realtor and they sign you to a WessCason listing they get a whopping $50... which depending how much driving around you do with the person would barely cover gas. This leads many Realtors to not even work the rental market or, if they do (and are smart), they are only doing it to get you as a lead for when you do buy.

You will also find that many Realtors will be pushing for Lease to Purchase... I won't turn this thread into a debate over that, but don't get talked into something like that. IMHO

Old 03-17-2010, 09:05 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,651,551 times
You can also use socialserve.com - their advanced search form has filters for fenced yard, pets, etc.

Search Charlotte Listings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte