U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2010, 08:24 PM
am2 am2 started this thread

413 posts, read 804,504 times

Advertisements

I am wondering how the new health-care bill will affect Charlotte. Will all the medical business on Randolf close down?
Rate this post positively

Old 03-26-2010, 08:45 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,606,372 times
I dont have much respect for anyone in government who, despite huge public opposition, uses back room deals, and crooked techniques to force their will on their constituents. After losing 2 Gubenatorial seats, as well as a Senate seat (in one of the most liberal states in the Union), all as citizen statements of their dislike of Obamacare, Congress and Obama rammed it down our throats.

How do I think it will effect us here in Charlotte? Well, I predict a shift back from left to right in the midterm elections. I think much if not all of Obamacare will be repealed. Without a doubt, healthcare needs to be reformed. Mandating health insurance is unconstitutional. A wise cCongress would have looked first at tort reform- hard to do when your own hands are in the cookie jar (John Edwards et al). All in all, this whole thing is nothing more than the next step toward socialized medicine, which IMHO is bad medicine!

Old 03-26-2010, 08:48 PM

2,193 posts, read 4,825,272 times
Well medical offices are already closing. The physician practice I used to go shut down because of the economy.

Whether we have obamacare or not, these things are already happening.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:54 PM

464 posts, read 762,014 times
And this is just the start.

FOXNews.com - AT&T Joins Growing List of Firms That Say Health Care Law Will Cut Into Their Profits

Old 03-27-2010, 01:05 AM

2,603 posts, read 4,698,151 times
Come on. Get this sh*t off the local forum.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:02 AM

8,189 posts, read 13,825,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
I dont have much respect for anyone in government who, despite huge public opposition, uses back room deals, and crooked techniques to force their will on their constituents. After losing 2 Gubenatorial seats, as well as a Senate seat (in one of the most liberal states in the Union), all as citizen statements of their dislike of Obamacare, Congress and Obama rammed it down our throats.
Obama won in November, and overhauling healthcare was something he campaigned on. He's doing what he said he would do. Yes the bill isn't perfect, but many of the changes contained in the bill are what the majority of Americans want to see. The will of the people was reflected in November's elections and some people simply refuse to see that.

Quote:
I think much if not all of Obamacare will be repealed.
I seriously doubt that. Once you give Americans a federal benefit, taking it away is the hardest thing to do. Republicans aren't dumb enough make it so that people with pre-existing conditions are no longer covered and so on.

Quote:
Without a doubt, healthcare needs to be reformed.
If Republicans truly believed that, they would have done something about it when they were in power. The Republican position is that healthcare reform is an issue best left to the states, which is why this new mantra of "repeal and replace" is meaningless. It's really more like "repeal and do nothing."

But I do think this subject is more for the political forum and not the local forum.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:37 AM

3,051 posts, read 4,747,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post

How do I think it will effect us here in Charlotte? Well, I predict a shift back from left to right in the midterm elections. I think much if not all of Obamacare will be repealed. Without a doubt, healthcare needs to be reformed. Mandating health insurance is unconstitutional. A wise cCongress would have looked first at tort reform- hard to do when your own hands are in the cookie jar (John Edwards et al). All in all, this whole thing is nothing more than the next step toward socialized medicine, which IMHO is bad medicine!
Actually mandated health insurance is a conservative idea according to Mitt Romney -

YouTube - See Mitt Romney Promote an Individual Mandate

Old 03-27-2010, 04:53 AM

4,010 posts, read 9,643,621 times
Obamacare is much to do about nothing. By the time the sham they passed gets through the courts and years from now when most of it kicks in, it will have been either changed or forgotten as to be to irrelevant to those affected. He can at least claim now that he kept one of his many promises.

It's nothing but a distraction from the real issue that his administration continues bankrupt America at the hands of Wall Street investment houses and the federal reserve to the levels of money that make health care, what ever it ends up costing, looking like nickels and dimes. They are so worried one of the big banks might go down that the latest plan, just came out yesterday, is to take public money and use it to buy down people's mortgages who can't afford the homes they have bought.

Think about it. The bank writes down the loan, gets to take a tax loss, the homeowner who isn't paying for whatever reason gets 1000s written off too, and the entire mess gets financed by the FHA using TARP money. It's another bank bailout and this time the irresponsible customers get some too. And they plan to cover home equity loans in this. You will be paying taxes to cover your deliquent neighbor's new car, flatscreen TV and expensive vacations. This should be where people are concerned if they are worried about government takeovers. It boggles the mind that people are so worked up over healthcare, yet there is apparently no issue with this sort of thing. Truth is gone and it took liberty with it.

So to close this, the argument over HC has been nothing but a big dog and pony show that people have gotten themselves caught up in by listening to the corporate media. For Charlotte in particular it just means nothing as well. If people are mad about it, then vote out Mel Watt how voted for it. If they are happy about it, then vote out Larry Kissell (one of the few democrats to vote no) and Sue Myrick who also voted no. This is the only real input that you have.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:13 AM

701 posts, read 1,332,524 times
Inserting the word "Charlotte" into the thread title does not make it a relevant thread for this forum. What's next --- "Does Charlotte think Obama is the Antichrist?"

Old 03-27-2010, 06:08 AM

7,126 posts, read 10,875,784 times
^^^^You would not make this post if you were following the rights of states to opt out.Clearly, it is a subject that affects the lives of all "locals" including you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte