Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,427 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have decided to move to Huntersville from Daytona Beach to be closer to our families in WV, but we really don't know much about the area. I am starting to have 2nd thoughts about the move. Daytona has plenty of things to do, but I think I can find a better environment in which to raise my son. Is the area family friendly? I am a high school teacher, and I am also wondering about the quality of the schools in Meck. and Iredell Co.? Any affirmation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 08:49 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,914,113 times
Huntersville is extremely family friendly. You are 20-25 minutes from uptown, 35 minutes from SouthPark, 15 minutes to the University area = plenty to do in one of the Southeast's largest cities. Huntersville is blessed with a plethora of shopping, dining, and recreational activities. Your son can get involved in recreation sports outside of school if he likes. The schools are a little crowded but that is because people like you have come here en masse over the past few years looking for a good family-friendly town....so the crowded schools are something we all have to deal with as a result. However, more schools and expansions are in the works.

There are a ton of threads on Huntersville...go to the top of the page and do a quick search. I feel sure most of those threads will ease your mind.

Good luck and welcome!

Old 06-06-2007, 09:36 AM

23 posts, read 68,136 times
Default Huntersville move

I think it's a good quality of life for families. I am moving there as well--but from just 5 miles away. I live in the Lake Norman area. Local public HS are North Meck--largest HS in the state... and, Hopewell HS. There is a fine private school about 8 miles away. What neighborhood are you considering? Traffic is ungodly here.. So, chosing the side of the interstate becomes an important consideration. There is much to do in Charlotte area--you are 12 miles to downtown Charlotte. I've lived in this area 20+ years--if you have questions you are welcome to contact me. I have 4 adult children and (1) seven year old. He goes to school in the town of Davidson.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:53 AM

85 posts, read 428,373 times
The new Discover Place for Kids should begin construction later this year and open in Fall of 2008. It is to be built in the heart of Huntervsille accross from the Town Hall and Police Station.

DISCOVERY PLACE | igniting wonder since 1981 | CHARLOTTE NATURE MUSEUM | IMAX | Discovery Place with the Charlotte Observer IMAX Dome Theater and the Charlotte Nature Musuem are the things to do in Uptown Charlotte, North Carolina. Visit the Discover (http://www.discoveryplace.org/home/discovery_place-dp_kids.php - broken link)

Also, we are about 15 minutes from North Lake Mall, which opened about a year ago.

Northlake Mall

Lowes Motor Speedway and Pro Bass Shop are about a 30 minute drive from Huntersville.

The Presbyterian Hospital opened about 2 years ago and it is a state of the art facility. We should know, we have used it several times in our 3 years living here.

As others have posted Traffic is my #1 negative thought.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:32 PM

876 posts, read 3,793,385 times
Leah, you are definetly making a SMART move. The costs of living in FL are just insane right now. I made the move from Ft.Lauderdale to the Lake Norman Area and we absolutely love it. It is a very hard transition uprooting from a place you are familiar with, but it starts settling in very quickly once you get to see how the people are around here and the type of schools there are.

I gave up a VERY good high paying career in South FL for an average paying "job" here in NC and I actually am glad I did. It's amazing the things you do for your children!

Old 06-06-2007, 07:37 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,956,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Baisden View Post
My husband and I have decided to move to Huntersville from Daytona Beach to be closer to our families in WV, but we really don't know much about the area. I am starting to have 2nd thoughts about the move. Daytona has plenty of things to do, but I think I can find a better environment in which to raise my son. Is the area family friendly? I am a high school teacher, and I am also wondering about the quality of the schools in Meck. and Iredell Co.? Any affirmation?

Well we don't have a beach but we have Lake Norman if you are into boating or water skiing, jet skiing etc. I get a kick out of just sitting and watching the boats. I can't help you with the schools but I can tell you I wish I would have raised my kids in this area.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:42 PM

876 posts, read 3,793,385 times
sheena, are u on the Lake?

Old 06-07-2007, 10:55 AM

34 posts, read 124,596 times
You will Love Huntersville! Just been transplanted here. Everyone seems to be friendly. This is the up and coming place to be - restaurants, shopping, housing. We have met several people from FL that love it too.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:00 PM

509 posts, read 1,803,211 times
Another Huntersville fan here. We are a couple in our low 30s with one child and we like it a lot. Still getting used to "suburbia" - my only complaint is that my neighborhood doesn't have a neighborhood restaurant/bar/coffeeshop/gathering place (other than the pool - now that I like!)

GT

Old 06-07-2007, 02:05 PM

107 posts, read 121,113 times
Leah,

Mecklenburg/Iredell. Cos. are wonderful. Honestly, I'd be less concerned about raising kids here than I would in Daytona. (no offense intended)

yes, plenty to do and many school options, etc.

Lester
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte