Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 09:09 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,786,388 times

Advertisements

You figure you get paid $34,000, thats if you have a degree...and if you work OT the sky is the limit.
I spoke to a LEO when I visited and you can make an additional $10k just doing few hours OT on the days that you are off. And he emphasized that there can be more to be made.

Last edited by JoeandFamily; 06-07-2007 at 09:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 12:25 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
The median income in Charlotte is 61k per year, so Cops start at half of that.............
Where? Doing what? Where's our statistics guru - mm34b.....

Last edited by mm_mary73; 06-07-2007 at 12:34 PM..

Old 06-07-2007, 03:09 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,083,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeandFamily View Post
You figure you get paid $34,000, thats if you have a degree...and if you work OT the sky is the limit.
I spoke to a LEO when I visited and you can make an additional $10k just doing few hours OT on the days that you are off. And he emphasized that there can be more to be made.
Off duty work is time spent on your days off working. Not to mention that depending on how the officers are paid, taxes can take a nice chunk out of their pay. Unfortunately, many officers HAVE to work on their days off to make ends meet instead spending it at home with their families or something other than work. Police officers typically work every other weekend, I know I would hate having to go to work on the weekends to make ends meet.

The several smaller police departments dotted around the area have much less overtime work, and some that dont have any.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:24 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,786,388 times
CMPD is 4days of 10hr shifts, then off 3 days, so that is 3 days to spend with the family...With the salary for the first yr mght be a little tough without any OT. After the one year mark you will be either at or maybe a tad bit more than $40k/yr. IMO that isn't to bad. I am showing interest in CMPD. Changing my career from what I currently do. I checked out what the pay is in NC, and its off by a few comparing the 2 jobs.
So now I have a chance to do something that I always wanted to do.
And to make ends meet is different standards for everyone.

But anyway...Sorry for Hijacking this thread...back to the topic.

Last edited by JoeandFamily; 06-07-2007 at 03:35 PM..

Old 06-07-2007, 07:17 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,955,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Its just a fact. You have counties that have basically the same infrastructure today that they had 10 years ago. Same size police, fire, rescue, roads, energy, water, sewer supplies, but these places have quadrupled in population since then, as well as the needs for basic services. Obviously there will have to be additions, and this comes from money, and that comes from taxes. Or you can keep it at the same level it is now, but you will have decreased services...

Union county is having water restrictions right now. Now this is not only because of the drought, but also because of the over growth that county has seen, the county cant keep up with the supply and demand.

I hate it as much as anyone else, and Ive lived here my whole life. Its not a rural small town setting anywhere near Charlotte anymore.

Unfortunately taxes, and 'special costs', and "temporary taxes" will be the future.

We had the same little farm towns in the Phoenix area explode out of control also, Gilbert was all farms and so was Good Year, Surprise etc. They had the same problem 10 fold but never raised our taxes. I wonder what they did. Maybe the developers were footing the bill.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:17 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,083,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
We had the same little farm towns in the Phoenix area explode out of control also, Gilbert was all farms and so was Good Year, Surprise etc. They had the same problem 10 fold but never raised our taxes. I wonder what they did. Maybe the developers were footing the bill.
I find it hard to believe that places that are growing as rapidly as the Charlotte and surrounding areas continue to do so without raising taxes. I suppose its possible, but like I said earlier, the quality of services rapidly decreases.

Try calling the over stretched police force to report a minor assault or larceny, and you may be told police are not responding to those types of crimes and to go to the police department to file a report if you wish where you wait in line like you are at the DMV. Now its not like that now, but its an example.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:29 PM

876 posts, read 3,793,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeandFamily View Post
CMPD is 4days of 10hr shifts, then off 3 days, so that is 3 days to spend with the family...With the salary for the first yr mght be a little tough without any OT. After the one year mark you will be either at or maybe a tad bit more than $40k/yr. IMO that isn't to bad. I am showing interest in CMPD. Changing my career from what I currently do. I checked out what the pay is in NC, and its off by a few comparing the 2 jobs.
So now I have a chance to do something that I always wanted to do.
And to make ends meet is different standards for everyone.

But anyway...Sorry for Hijacking this thread...back to the topic.
What good is it to spend Tues, Weds, Thurs, off with your family when the wife is working and the kids are in school? I mean, you KNOW you arent going to get full weekends off. $40K a year to put your life on the line every day just to make ends meet, I dunno there partner...

I highly doubt CMPD is going to give you a 20% raise after your first year. That would be great, but unlikely.

Old 06-10-2007, 05:38 PM

473 posts, read 1,578,721 times
Red face Fl...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post
Is $40 that much more a year? Not that bad to me... I mean, the money I presume would go towards the growth, no? Roads, projects? etc?

Better than paying $5047/yr for a $240K house in Ft.Lauderdale, FL like I was last year, plus $5010 for insurance a year... UGH!
Isn't a single family home on average about $330k in Ft. Lauderdale?! Seems like I've heard that figure from someone. I know we didn't pay that when we lived there! And a 15% COLA (cost of living adjustment) just wouldn't do it to be moved there, anymore!

FL taxes and insurance were definitely much worse than here! We lived outside of both Ft. Lauderdale and Tampa before all of the hurricane/ins were issues. At our last house in Tampa, our escrow (taxes and insurance) was almost as much as our mortgage, not including HOA and maintenance!

I don't know what the answer is not to have tax hikes. Seems like it has happened to every area that I've lived in because of growth. All I can hope is our appreciation offsets the taxes, and at least you can write off the taxes...

As far as another post that I read on this thread, I just can't picture surrounding counties being able to keep their taxes down with continued growth in the area, i.e. "Union staying 50% less than Meck." There are also surrounding counties that are having problems with a lack of water, high water bills, and mandatory conservation. Although Meck. is behind normal water levels, at least we have water running through our county and, that I am aware of, Meck. does not have any ridiculous water bills as opposed to some other complaints that I've read on this board.

I know some seem to have a problem with Meck. taxes but at least I'm not commuting over an hour to work from some surrounding counties, which I've read on this board. At least I can write property taxes off my income taxes, opposed to the wear and tear on my vehicle and the additional time away from my home, which can not be written off, or compensated for, or ever regained. When saving money on taxes is great if you can do it, it just doesn't seem worth it to me when you can't write off the amount of your car and time traveling back and forth from Charlotte, and the time away from your family. From what I understand, and this is from when we bought our house last July, property actually sells fairly quickly in Meck. Some of the surrounding areas apparently don't do quite as well, especially the ones further out, because not all are willing to commute. That was one of the reasons why we didn't buy in Iredell, even though we were interested in it...

Old 06-10-2007, 07:00 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,955,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
I find it hard to believe that places that are growing as rapidly as the Charlotte and surrounding areas continue to do so without raising taxes. I suppose its possible, but like I said earlier, the quality of services rapidly decreases.

Try calling the over stretched police force to report a minor assault or larceny, and you may be told police are not responding to those types of crimes and to go to the police department to file a report if you wish where you wait in line like you are at the DMV. Now its not like that now, but its an example.

It's true they never raised our taxes, I don't know how they did it but they hired more police, fireman, built school after school. The quality of police services it's hard to say. They were everywhere but because of certain issues with illegals they were afraid to do their job but that's another issue

Old 06-11-2007, 06:48 AM

876 posts, read 3,793,126 times
WOW... someone here gave me a NEGATIVE on my post! How friggin rude.

Like I slapped someone in the face or something! I would love to know why...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte