Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 02:41 AM

4 posts, read 9,519 times

Advertisements

I'm moving this year and my 2 options are san antonio tx or charlotte NC. I donno which to choose?!. I'm interested in staying in a place that is very modern and up to date with things and i hear that both places are not like that at all. People say i fit the best in california but thats not an option for me now!. I love good whether (not cold not too hot), Beautiful places nice people, educated and open minded people, great shopping places with brand names and stuff great places to hangout?!.

I've asked people before and some said people in san antonio are closed minded and ugly (someone hates the place obviously lol!) and the same said for charlotte. Which one should i choose help me people!

whatever information usubmit will be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 04:26 AM

701 posts, read 1,428,272 times
I think you should wait until you graduate high school.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:53 AM

4 posts, read 9,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhite View Post
I think you should wait until you graduate high school.

I did graduate highschool, i'm a transfer student!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-17-2010, 07:39 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,713,118 times
There is a lot more to do in Charlotte. We have major sports teams, we are the headquarters for many large fortune 500 companies, we have a great airport with direct flights to almost anywhere in the country, we are 2 hours from the ocean and 2 hours from the mountains. Great people, well educated, lots of living choices.

I have visited san antonio and it was great for a few days but a lot smaller than Charlotte and I would not want to live there. They have the riverwalk area and that was about it for "things to do".

Old 06-17-2010, 07:42 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
"Not too hot" is going to be tough in either location... Where are you moving from?

Old 06-17-2010, 09:32 AM

529 posts, read 1,202,705 times
Arrow San Antonio has Taco Cabana.

Unfortunately (for Charlotte), isn't the economy better in Texas? San Antonio also has a huge military presence that is 'recession-proof.' Very vibrant Mexican cultural influences there, as you might expect, and a great zoo!

I've lived in central Texas and I prefer Charlotte for its weather, geographical beauty, and airport (needed for my job). As for nice/mean, open-/closed-minded people, you find them wherever you live.

If Austin is a choice, I'd strongly recommend it for you!

Old 06-17-2010, 10:27 AM

163 posts, read 474,538 times
There isn't a state income tax in Texas- there is in North Carolina.
Property taxes are a bit higher in Texas- but they don't include automobiles- North Carolina does.
Both are pretty humid in the summer/fall.

San Antonio is about 1 1/2 hour from Austin and about 1/2 hour from New Braunsfels and an hour from San Marcos. Austin has SXSW every year, 6th street, UT..etc New Braunsfels is known for tubing down the Guadalupe river. San Marcos has a great outlet shopping center. There isn't near as many trees in TX, but one of the areas with the most trees is the Hill Country, which includes part of the cities that I have named. San Antonio has history- the Alamo and other missions- as well as Fiesta Texas Six Flags,Sea World and an awesome zoo- entertainment. Of course you can find yummy (beef) bbq and mexican food in abundance in San Antonio.

As for Charlotte- I have been here for almost a year now. I really miss mexican food, and beef bbq. There is history here too. I just haven't gotten out to explore it cause it has been toooo hot. There are tons of trees everywhere!

I lived in Texas (never in SA) for a number of years, and if humidity wasn't an issue in either city- I would choose San Antonio. But what I would chose, doesn't mean that it is the right choice for you.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:45 PM

6 posts, read 18,399 times
Funny Plainwhite. Very funny. I presumed you're referring to the glaring grammatical errors.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:40 PM

64 posts, read 151,297 times
I live in CLT and used to live in San Antonio. It really depends on what you're looking for. If it's weather, I'd pick SA. There is hardly any humidity (of course it can get to 100 + with 60 day droughts during the summer). But the best thing is there are no mosquitoes! However, if you like the changing of the leaves and fall then CLT is your place.

For the poster that said SA is a smaller city, he/she needs to check their facts. SA is one of the 10 largest cities in the country and it is spaced out just as much CLT with less suburbs.

The school system is way better in Bexar county and as someone else noted, there is no state income tax but property tax is a little higher.

Also, SA is a huge military city but unlike what someone else said, they are home to several fortune 500 companies (Valero Energy, USAA, Tesoro, and CC Media Holdings).

If sports is your thing, then CLT has a lot more professional sports (e.g., Panthers and Bobcats), while SA only has the Spurs.

I've lived in CLT for seven years and it's changed a lot in that short amount of time. But SA was a much more hospitable place. This being said, CLT is getting better.

I never raised a family in SA, but have one here and CLT is a good place to raise a family.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:22 PM

996 posts, read 1,896,043 times
I say Charlotte, but, hey I'm biased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte