U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2010, 11:36 AM

852 posts, read 2,319,576 times

Advertisements

In case you haven't read this story here is the link

Stranded in Charlotte, in a good way - CharlotteObserver.com

and then here is the complimentary email received this morning from one of the coaches

On behalf of the Reading FC Academy I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Charlotte community. As you may be aware we had a very successful week in Charlotte and loved our time in your beautiful state. Unfortunately like many others we have become victims of the Icelandic Volcano and have become stranded in Charlotte.
At first we were very unsure and worried due to the uniqueness of the situation. We felt vulnerable. Little did we know about the Charlotte Community. Whatever human spirit is about, the good people of Charlotte have shown it to us over the last few days.
Every now and then things happen for a reason. We will never forget the outpouring of kindness that you have shown us. We are relative strangers to you all, yet still the love in your hearts has shone through brighter than the sunshine in your State. We are overwhelmed and humbled, truly, by your humanity. We have been inundated with offers of help.
Thank you.
There are so many problems in the world and we hear relentlessly about human acts of malevolence to each other. What you don’t hear about is people joining together for no other reason than compassion for fellow man.
Charlotte you are wonderful!
Charlotte we love you!
My old manager at West Ham John Lyall, who has sadly passed away, used to say “it’s nice to be important but it’s more important to be nice”.
Charlotte you are so very nice.
Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Eamonn Dolan
Academy Manager
Reading FC
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 12:08 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,642,121 times
I love this! Thanks for posting, sm. I thought about offering help when you posted about the boys the other day, but I wasn't sure what I could do. Now I wish I had reached out, and I'm so glad that so many others didn't stop to think about it like I did. The best part is that these boys will go back to England with stories of the generosity and kind hearts of Americans.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:49 PM

3,361 posts, read 9,424,823 times
What a great article.

Shocked that they cannot get home until May 3rd.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:20 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,197,758 times
I thought it was awesome to. I have a friend whose sister is stuck in Moscow until May as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: