U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2010, 01:29 PM
odu odu started this thread

40 posts, read 107,691 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a good low/flat fee realtor? I'd like to list my condo but can't afford a full fee realtor.

Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 01:50 PM

3,034 posts, read 4,526,937 times
I would recommend you contact 3-4 agents that work in your area and see if any will give you a deal. Unless you have an extremely high demand condo (in which case you could just advertise it yourself) you are likely wasting time with a flat fee agency. They will take your money and list your property in MLS for a specified time. When it runs out - you need to pay more money to extend the listing. If you are lucky enough to get an offer you won't have an agent you can trust to help negotitate and then to help with inspections, loan issues, closing, etc.

Real estate agents are hurting like everyone else right now - but they don't want to take a listing that won't sell. If you are being realistic you might find an agent that will give you a break!

Old 04-23-2010, 09:14 PM

Thanks Charlotteborn. I will try just that. If anyone has any realtor recommendations, please DM me. I'd like to sell a condo uptown.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:38 AM

169 posts, read 288,949 times
A flat fee listing runs about six months, however it does not expire unless you want it to, you just approve the listing and it rolls over for another six months but if I were you I'd stay away from them, all they do is get a MLS# and don't do much else, like most realtors from the sell side who want your listing and do little to push your house. They are like iused car salesman, loads of B.S. little substance. You might be better off attempting to sell yourself, loads of FSBO websites and it's more then what most agenst do, besides you can do up your own web page in Google and link it from your FSBO websites.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:32 PM

Thanks Golden Phoenix. Im not opposed to trying to sell it myself. My house would show well and I'd price it at a good price, not trying to make money, in fact I'm willing to sell it for a loss to list it at a price that will make a buyer bite. And I have a marketing background, so I think 'marketing' it won't be too difficult for me. My concern is when it comes to the closing process and documents. Is there any way to hire someone to help with that....the paperwork and the closing? Could I just hire a real estate attorney to handle only that portion?

Old 04-24-2010, 07:21 PM

The FSBO websites sometimes have copies of contracts, just make certain they are NC, or you can Google the information. Sure a lawyer that you trust. Posting on craigslist & zillow are a start. Take some pictures and do a blog on blogspot and link to that. That's all R.E. agents do along with MLS which means nothing except giving up 7%. Best not to hire a R.E. agent now because remember they don't sell anything, people buy and there are loads of foreclosures but of course they may have to use elbow grease to fix them up. With the tax incentive gone at the end of the month I'd wait if you can.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:01 PM

45 posts, read 69,920 times
Speak with a few agents and see what they say as far as your building. They should also be able to show you what has sold and an average length of time on market. There are several agents that may discount their services especially if you maybe plan to use them for a purchase later on. Why hire an attorney and pay the same amount to them that you are trying to save by not using an agent? Marketing a condo uptown without the benefit of the MLS will be difficult as most condo buildings do not allow for any type of sign so foot traffic around the building doesn;t matter as no one will know the property is available. Also how available will you be to meet prospective clients in the middle of the day and who are the people you are meeting? The only thing worse than taking time out of your day to meet someone about seeing your house is taking time out of your day to meet someone who isn't remotely qualified to purchase your home.

If the place you work has some sort of message board you may try your luck at posting your home for sale and see if you get an takers but if that fails I would recommend going with an agency and seeing what kind of rate you can negotiate. The one thing I would also recommend is whatever rate you negotiate make sure they aren't also discounting their service. You want to make sure they will be handling the contract negotiation, closing, etc.

Good luck with your selling your condo.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:10 PM

604 posts, read 1,172,721 times
Everyone is so worried about the 3% realtors make. In today's market you better find soneone who can bring you a sale!

Getting a realtor down to 1 or 2 % may not be saving you anything if there is no sale on the condo.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:47 PM

22,574 posts, read 49,192,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Roe View Post
Everyone is so worried about the 3% realtors make. In today's market you better find soneone who can bring you a sale!

Getting a realtor down to 1 or 2 % may not be saving you anything if there is no sale on the condo.
That's exactly correct.

Someone recently said to me at an open house that he heard that agents were really having to reduce their commission to get a listing. You know the type. Older gentleman that always thinks someone is out to take his last dollar and has the inside "scoop" on everything.

Anyway, I just smiled and said I hadn't heard that. The truth is this is a buyer's market and it is not a great prize to get a listing. We are not begging for them. The reality is that we may spend a ton of money trying to market your house and we may still be out at the end of the day. Not always, but I think you are getting my drift.

A marketing person certainly has a leg up. But yes, there is the hand-holding, negotiating and knowing the real estate law that comes along with the job. If you are a good agent you never let the client see the wrestling that goes on for their benefit.

So, so many people think being an agent is an easy job until they try it themselves. And in a seller's market you need all the help you can get. Many of the dissastisfied are angry because the agent didn't create a miracle, like sell the home for much more than the house was worth or get a return on upgrades that most buyer's run from.

Don't get me wrong. Clients are people so most of them are lovely, but the rumors start about a friend of a friend of a friend that made a ton of money and didn't use those do-nothing agents and everyone pictures themselves as that friend. The other crew are upside-down and convinced that they can sell the house themselves to some unsuspecting person and not go into foreclosure.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:52 PM

I went through three agents and all they had were excuses, not theirs of course, why my house didn't sell. And it wasn't the price. R.E. agents couldn't market anything to save their lives. They get a listing and sit back hoping someone else will sell it. It's a buyers market and remember agents don't sell squat, people buy homes. People can look at 25 homes and maybe they buy and an agent jumps up and down that they are "ace" sellers. Yea, right. Even a blind person could do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte