Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 06:59 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,639,621 times

Advertisements

Any comments on the CO article?

Part of me feels that he's just an annoying guy that gets too familar with people. I'm not sure that I'd label every workplace encounter that makes one uncomfortable as sexual harrassment.

5 staffers make allegations against council member - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/04/26/1399978/harassment-report-heads-to-council.html?pageNum=10&&&&&mi_pluck_action=page_n av#Comments_Container - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 10:00 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,817,726 times
EXACTLY....The sexual harrassment charges probably wont stick..however you just can't get too personal with some people.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:20 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,632,388 times
It is shocking and quite upsetting, as it involves an elected official and there are several employees who have stepped forward - not just one.

However, I think it is like walking in a landmine to even work in an office these days, as folks file complaints about everything - and who knows which complaints are justified and which aren't. I have seen bogus, exaggerated complaints and I have seen employees leave a job rather than deal w/ real discrimination and/or harassment (be it sexual, racial, gender related, religious, etc).

I don't know Turner but he comes across as outgoing. Maybe his style of interaction was taken wrong. Or maybe he oversteps boundaries. We weren't there to witness the supposed "problem encounters" so as is all too typical in these cases . . . it becomes "he said/she said." Unless there are witnesses, the only other thing one has to go on is that others have complained - that does make it more problematic.

It's a problem on many levels! Maybe some sensitivity training is all that is needed - or maybe the women involved are overly touchy - or maybe Turner really is into harassing females. In any case, it has to be addressed as complaints have been made.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:26 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,228,043 times
I agree Ani, it's tough. I think the spectrum may have come full circle in some cases. Lite Banter, though innappropriate is not always sexual harrasement. There is a level of it that needs to considered. I know real sexual harrasment cases and they don't often get looked at. People's in the work place tend to recoil over certain typical conversations. Be profressional and courteous, but ya know what, asking a girl out is not harrsement, telling a joke to co-workers and being overheard is not harrasment, etc. But this guy obviously needs to tone it done or find a new line.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:34 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,639,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
EXACTLY....The sexual harrassment charges probably wont stick..however you just can't get too personal with some people.
I don't think there is any formal complaint or charge. An employee complained to HR but did not want to file an official complaint.

I might be guessing but it seems that if you have a problem with someone you work with you can either 1) speak up for your self or 2) ask your supervisor to step in and say something about the behavior. Both are options when you want to address the issue but don't think it is necessary or prudent to file an official grievance. Foxx seems to have comitted a larger error by sending out a poorly worded email and now the public wants to know what is going on.

Frankly, if someone doesn't see their behavior as harrassment, they certainly aren't going to think that a vaguely worded email about harrassment is directed towards them

Old 04-27-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I don't think there is any formal complaint or charge. An employee complained to HR but did not want to file an official complaint.

I might be guessing but it seems that if you have a problem with someone you work with you can either 1) speak up for your self or 2) ask your supervisor to step in and say something about the behavior. Both are options when you want to address the issue but don't think it is necessary or prudent to file an official grievance. Foxx seems to have comitted a larger error by sending out a poorly worded email and now the public wants to know what is going on.

Frankly, if someone doesn't see their behavior as harrassment, they certainly aren't going to think that a vaguely worded email about harrassment is directed towards them
So do you see this as simply a PR problem for Mayor Foxx?

Old 04-27-2010, 12:00 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,213,378 times
If it was ONE accusation I would be more skeptical. But it's FIVE!

I don't think Foxx did anything wrong... he may have handled it with less finesse than some, but this information needs to be public. Especially considering the number of accusations. What if this was kept under wraps and something more serious happened? Then Foxx would be blasted for not acting on the early indications!

I don't know much about Turner, but if the accusations are founded in truth one has to wonder about his capacity for sound judgement... not the kind of leader we need on council!

Old 04-27-2010, 12:16 PM

11,839 posts, read 29,021,770 times
Quote:
The highly unusual investigation of a council member could lead to the council censuring Turner, as some members discussed. But the city's policy against sexual harassment doesn't apply to elected officials, meaning Turner can't be removed from office or suspended.
Shouldn't our public officials be subject to the same laws that we are?

Old 04-27-2010, 12:52 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,588,254 times
I think alot of the city employees and council members have known about Turners conduct and have been overlooking or accepting of it. It sounds like this has been going on for a very long time - going back to when he was thrown out of the Police Academy. The attorney that did the investigation said Turner was 'less than truthful' when responding to her questions during her investigation.

He seems to have some issues with women and likely will not change because he has been caught. I feel sorry for his family.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:34 PM

Wonder why this wasn't discussed more before he was elected to office? Do you think folks just didn't care or people didn't check into his background - or what?

I heard (on TV) that there had been questions about how much alcohol he had consumed at various meetings in the past. Seems if these were real concerns, they should have been addressed before now.

But again . . . I don't know him personally and so am concerned most of all with a person getting a fair shake when allegations are made. And I always am worried that rumors can sound like facts if enough people pass the info around. It hard to know what the facts are without an impartial investigation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: