Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 08:37 PM

264 posts, read 854,620 times

Advertisements

I need a little advice.
In June I ordered and paid in full for a flower girl dress for my daughter who will be in my brothers wedding this Sunday.
The dress was suppose to be here in late August early September. Well, after hearing a million excuses as to why the dress wasn't here yet, it finally arrived Monday...but it was the wrong fabric. So they special shipped a dress in the correct fabric and it arrived today. Funny how this one arrived so fast....thankfully it fit her perfect and no alterations were needed.
When I went to the store to pick it up, I walked into the dressing room and the dressing room smelled really bad. I made a comment to the girl that was helping that the room smelled and then I realized the smell was coming from the dress. I told her it smelled like a dead fish. By this time the smell traveled a little and made its way to another girl that was working near by and she said it smelled like shrimp.
At this point the lady, that I was told on my first visit there was the owner, said that the dresses they get from these people always smell bad. Then she told me that it was the plastic that the dress was covered with that smelled and she thought this because she used to work with a plastic producing company. Later she told me that it was probably shipped with fish or something else that smelled really bad and that's why the dress smelled. She proceeded to tell me that they no longer do business with this company b/c of all the things that went wrong with this particular order and that all the dresses they have in stock from this manufacturer are on close-out at $50/dress....I paid $300.
Anyway, I requested that they steam the dress and it seemed that the smell dissipated.
Now that I am home and a few hours have passed since I picked it up the stench has returned. I put the dress in the laundry room and closed the door b/c it smells so bad.
What in the world am I suppose to do? I am pretty upset about all this. The wedding is on Sunday and finding another dress is close to impossible. I refuse to let my daughter wear something that smells like that, for all I know there is some sort of chemical sprayed on there. (I was in Europe this Summer and in Greece there was some sort of chemical on some kids clothes made in China that caused an allergic reaction in some, thus my fear). The bride suggested I turn it inside out, spray Febreze on it and put it in the dryer on low heat. I'm afraid that that might ruin the satin.
I am pretty dissapointed with the bridal shop also. All they did was blame the manufacturer with everything and every comment made was very contradictory to the next. I would post the name of the shop but I am not sure if that is allowed.
Sorry for the long post, but I really am at a loss and thought I needed to explain the whole situation for everyone who made it this far to feel me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 08:40 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,041,759 times
Could it be dry cleaned? That might get the smell out. Meanwhile, I would certainly require a refund from the bridal shop.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:54 PM

I don't have time to get it dry cleaned. The wedding is on Sunday and I don't know of any same day dry cleaners around here. Even the one that is down the street that says "same day" is next day pick-up.
Thanks though...

Old 09-19-2008, 08:59 PM

513 posts, read 2,112,217 times
First - definitely fight for a refund from the shop where you bought the dress. As far as getting another dress...do you know anyone whose daughter has had her 1st Communion? Some of those dresses are interchangeable as flower girl dresses. You could also try children's consignment shops. I would also call around to some of the bridal shops - they may have some samples that you can buy on the spot. Hopefully you won't need alterations! Sounds like you'll have a busy Saturday. Good luck!

Old 09-19-2008, 09:02 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Can you wash it (by hand if not n a machine, & hang it outside to dry?

Can you run to another shop & get a reasonable facsimile & return this to the shop it came from? If you wash it, or dry clean it they won't take it back. Run out when the stores open & look until 11. If you can't find something by then that gives you time to wash it if it's washable.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:29 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,784,218 times
Here is a website I found. Click on store locator. Good luck. Let us know how it goes. I had a shirt that had that same fishy smell, I think it was some kind of silk. I kept if for a long time hoping the smell would go away but it never did.
Us Angels | About Us | The Story (http://www.usangels.com/aboutus_thestory.jsp - broken link)

Old 09-19-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marblmom View Post
First - definitely fight for a refund from the shop where you bought the dress. As far as getting another dress...do you know anyone whose daughter has had her 1st Communion? Some of those dresses are interchangeable as flower girl dresses. You could also try children's consignment shops. I would also call around to some of the bridal shops - they may have some samples that you can buy on the spot. Hopefully you won't need alterations! Sounds like you'll have a busy Saturday. Good luck!
Real busy Saturday. I have to drive to Asheville tomorrow and pick up my dad's elderly aunt and uncle and be back in Charlotte before 4:00 for the rehearsal and following dinner. My daughter is 9, so it will be pretty hard to find one at a consignment shop, but it is worth a try. I called the bride, again, and told her that my laundry room now reaks. We are going to take the dress back tomorrow. Hopefully they will be able to get it dry-cleaned and returned to us on time, or maybe the other dress that came in with the wrong material is still available, without the stench, and we can trade it out. I'm going to have my cousin call a few consignment shops in the morning for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Can you wash it (by hand if not n a machine, & hang it outside to dry?

Can you run to another shop & get a reasonable facsimile & return this to the shop it came from? If you wash it, or dry clean it they won't take it back. Run out when the stores open & look until 11. If you can't find something by then that gives you time to wash it if it's washable.
I'm scared to wash it b/c it is satin and I'm afraid I'll ruin it competely. I thought about hanging it outside, but I didn't want a bird to come by and bomb it. My cousin is also going to call David's Bridal in the morning to see if they have anything. Sometimes they have things like that in stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
Here is a website I found. Click on store locator. Good luck. Let us know how it goes. I had a shirt that had that same fishy smell, I think it was some kind of silk. I kept if for a long time hoping the smell would go away but it never did.
Us Angels | About Us | The Story (http://www.usangels.com/aboutus_thestory.jsp - broken link)
Thanks for the link. I see they are available at a few stores close by....including the boutique I purchased the original from . I'll probably call in the a.m. after the visiting them to see if any of the other shops have anything in stock.
Thank you so much everyone. I just really needed to vent about this. It seems like anytime I try to get something done ahead of time, something always happens and I end up running around at the last minute.

Do you think they should still give me a refund even if the dress gets dry-cleaned and the smell is gone? I am never the one to complain and ask for a refund. If someone screws up enough they usually realize it on their own and offer it or something else...even an apology. I must say they did apologize, but only after they blamed everything on someone else and so I don't know what the point of the apology was.
I ended up emailing the manufacturer too to complain about the dress and service a little bit ago.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:39 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiT View Post
Real busy Saturday. I have to drive to Asheville tomorrow and pick up my dad's elderly aunt and uncle and be back in Charlotte before 4:00 for the rehearsal and following dinner. My daughter is 9, so it will be pretty hard to find one at a consignment shop, but it is worth a try. I called the bride, again, and told her that my laundry room now reaks. We are going to take the dress back tomorrow. Hopefully they will be able to get it dry-cleaned and returned to us on time, or maybe the other dress that came in with the wrong material is still available, without the stench, and we can trade it out. I'm going to have my cousin call a few consignment shops in the morning for me.

I'm scared to wash it b/c it is satin and I'm afraid I'll ruin it competely. I thought about hanging it outside, but I didn't want a bird to come by and bomb it. My cousin is also going to call David's Bridal in the morning to see if they have anything. Sometimes they have things like that in stock.

Thanks for the link. I see they are available at a few stores close by....including the boutique I purchased the original from . I'll probably call in the a.m. after the visiting them to see if any of the other shops have anything in stock.
Thank you so much everyone. I just really needed to vent about this. It seems like anytime I try to get something done ahead of time, something always happens and I end up running around at the last minute.

Do you think they should still give me a refund even if the dress gets dry-cleaned and the smell is gone? I am never the one to complain and ask for a refund. If someone screws up enough they usually realize it on their own and offer it or something else...even an apology. I must say they did apologize, but only after they blamed everything on someone else and so I don't know what the point of the apology was.
I ended up emailing the manufacturer too to complain about the dress and service a little bit ago.
They should have offered a complete refund, or knocked it down to the clearance price.

Can you rig a sheet in a tree & hang the dress on the hanger under the sheet? The birds aren't likely to get it that way.

If you get totally desperate, try calling a costume company to see if they have something reasonably appropriate to rent.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:01 AM

852 posts, read 2,468,698 times
Some dancers i know have dresses that cost around $3000 each and they have quick solutions. Some of them spray diluted vodka from a spray bottle on them to get rid of body odour smells. It removes the smell. The other trick they use is a product from the pet store called nature's own which is used to take pet smells out of houses. Good luck with it.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:11 AM

804 posts, read 2,892,787 times
Thumbs up refund

It sure sounds like you should get atleast a partial refund. If the store won't help you keep complaining until they do. YOu could even take it as far as to go to a local news compnay and tell them your story and see what they say. It seems they are always looking for a story and this is one that would get a lot of Mommies watching tv.

The whole it was shipped with fish excuse sounds like a bunch of BS. I worked for UPS for two years and never once saw a clothing item shipped with ANY fish, shrimp, etc..

I would go to a good dry cleaner in the area and see what they think and if they work on it keep your receipts and you may be able to get the cleaning fee from the store you bought it from, never hurts to try.

You should name the store so others in your area are aware of the problem and can look out for it or avoid the stoer all together so they are not caught in a bind like you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte